Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction and…

Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Discuss Their… (2003)

by Glenn Yeffeth (Editor)

Other authors: Peg Aloi (Contributor), David Brin (Contributor), Margaret L. Carter (Contributor), Roxanne Longstreet Conrad (Contributor), Jennifer Crusie (Contributor)18 more, Drew Goddard (Introduction), Christie Golden (Contributor), Charlaine Harris (Contributor), Nancy Holder (Contributor), Sherrilyn Kenyon (Contributor), Nancy Kilpatrick (Contributor), Marguerite Krause (Contributor), Justine Larbalestier (Contributor), Jacqueline Lichtenberg (Contributor), Jean Lorrah (Contributor), Carla Montgomery (Contributor), Kevin Andrew Murphy (Contributor), Laura Resnick (Contributor), Lawrence Watt-Evans (Contributor), Michelle Sagara West (Contributor), Scott Westerfeld (Contributor), Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Contributor), Sarah Zettel (Contributor)

Series: Smart Pop

Most of these essays are on the silly side, intentionally or not. The only writer I'd actually read before was Sarah Zettel and I liked her essay that made some sense of the difference between the high school seasons and the post high school seasons - why the latter didn't work as well. I haven't been watching reruns, but it will probably be fun in a few years after memory has faded. (January 17, 2005) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
A lot of the essays in this book start getting samey. The power of friendship, sexiness of vampires, who should Buffy be with, wiccan good, love the earth, woman power. It starts feeling like refined versions of online editorials, only by professional authors.

And that's saying something because, unlike most things, I did not lurk on Buffy web sites. I didn't read the analyses or identify with a main character or get into discussion groups. Mostly because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but because I thought the TV show, by itself, was perfect. Anything extraneous would sully it, like dumping a bunch of toppings on ice cream. ( )
  theWallflower | Apr 8, 2014 |
Why read: Received for review.

What impressed me: Many authors I had read, or at least heard of, contributed essays to Seven Seasons of Buffy. I didn't agree with everything the essayists put forth, but appreciated the contrasting opinions that made me consider other outlooks. This book is a celebration of everything that Buffy was, but doesn't hold back when presenting theories and ideas that show fans may rabidly disagree with.

What disappointed me: With any anthology of this nature, some essays were drier than other and some essayists seemed less familiar with the subject that they should have been. It wasn't perfect, but it was one of the better books that look deeper into Buffy.

Recommended: Buffy fans, obviously, but the more fanatical the better. ( )
  TequilaReader | Dec 4, 2011 |
As a die hard Buffy fan and someone who views the series from an academic stand point, I found the collection of essays in Seven Seasons of Buffy fascinating. Recommended to me by an equally studious Buffy fan, it was an intellectually stimulating read.

The humorous forward, very much in the style of Buffy, asks why we care about Buffy, and answers it. It discusses and praises Buffy's representation of the human condition and does so in an engaging manner.

Most of the essays themselves are well written and well thought out. I strongly disagree with points made by some of the authors, but these disagreements caused me to think extensively about my views on each topic. I especially enjoyed Skin Pale as Apple Blossom, A World Without Shrimp, and Unseen Horrors & Shadowy Manipulations.

So, though not perfection, this anthology is a small gem for only the most dedicated Buffy fans. ( )
  the_slayer | Aug 20, 2011 |
A collection of twenty-two essays on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I got a big kick out of this! While there are certainly a few duds, (most of which take the form of good ideas presented in a haphazard, difficult fashion), most of the pieces are solid. They back up their conclusions with concrete examples from the show. They explain their points in enough detail that I can see exactly where they're coming from. And amidst all the scholarly jargon, there's a strong love of the subject under discussion.

They're basically my favourite sort of criticism. Fun, literate, and very easy to get wrapped up in. Even when I disagreed with the essayists, I could see where they were coming from. They provided me with an excellent starting point for my own critical response to the show, and really got me thinking about all the different ways people view this important piece of popular culture. I really believe that meaning lies with the viewer/reader/listener, and that the story I've experienced need not be the same as the one you've encountered. Anthologies like this prove how many different ways we can react to any given text, and they do so in a fascinating way.

Highly recommended to Buffy fans. ( )
  xicanti | Jul 10, 2008 |

West, Michelle SagaraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerfeld, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yarbro, Chelsea QuinnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zettel, SarahContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Joss Whedon, for your kindness, support and, most of all, for seven seasons of Buffy
Why do we care?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,641,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible