The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

The Way of Shadows

by Brent Weeks

Series: The Night Angel Trilogy (1)

2,893921,998 (4.03)1 / 91
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (ghilbrae)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.

English (87)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (92)
This is a big sprawling epic fantasy, of the "poor street kid with no history is picked up out of the gutter and becomes a major player" type, rather than the epic quest type. There's something to be said for a story that takes the expected tropes, and plays them straight, if it's done well. And this is done rather well.
Recommended for: Lovers of intrigue, philosophising assassins, and morally ambiguous ... well everyone, except the King, actually, is morally ambiguous. Not recommended for: Weak stomachs. Some of the violence is brutal, and quite lovingly described. And being performed by small(ish) children, against other small(er) children.
Full review @ Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
The Night Angel Trilogy is by far one of the best series I've ever read. Captivating world. Captivating characters. Excellent writing. ( )
  wolfeyluvr | Jun 22, 2016 |
Fantastic book! Caught me from the first page and kept me reading late into the night. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
I was recommended this book by a friend and it was... interesting. The concept didn't seem fully fleshed out, though that could be due to this being a series, as well as having the reader placed in Azoth's shoes. Pacing was off. Some parts seemed to go by too quickly, others took forever for absolutely no reason. There were also way too many characters. If done right, having a full array of players wouldn't be a bad thing. Look at the ASoIaF series. Here, however, the author would have benefited from choosing 2-3 protagonists to focus on instead of jumping around from viewpoint to viewpoint. Some of the characters I grew to like, others I could not care for at all, pretty much skipping through the sections until I recognised a name again. Overall, it was a fast read, and a good 'in between' book, but I don't think I'll be picking up the next book in the series, and I'm certainly happy I didn't pay for it. 4/10 stars ( )
  heylu | Mar 4, 2016 |
Picked this up because of high ratings on goodreads.

I will say this: it's a quick read. it didn't feel like 650 pages. Unfortunately, at no time did I really find myself absorbed in the book. I found the colloquial, simplistic writing style very distancing. This may be a personal preference, but I like fantasy writing to have a certain timelessness; I don't want the characters to sound like people hanging out on the corner down the block. References to "having a crush on someone," worries about "whether he's cheating on me," and "tits" just sound contemporary in a way that draws me out of the story.

It might work in a different setting, but the setting here is 100% generic. It's the world where there is a feudal system of royalty in place, a thieves' guild, with apprenticeships, brothels, gutter orphans, magic and Magical Artifacts... you know the one. The worldbuilding is completely rudimentary to the point of being skipped over, because the reader is expected to already know this scenario and take it for granted.

I have to admit, I LIKE this world. I like this sort of story. And I did feel there was an enjoyable story lurking in here. But the execution just didn't do it for me. I love twisty-turny plots, but when there's a big revelation, the reader should be able to go: "OH! That explains x, y & z!" Here, you just go, "What? He's really x? Huh? Wait a minute. Why?" ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033677, Mass Market Paperback)

For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

Determined to escape the Warrens, Azoth seeks out Durzo Blint, the city's most ruthless assassin, to persuade him to take him on as an apprentice and to teach him the deadly Way of Shadows.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,407,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible