The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

The Way of Shadows (2008)

by Brent Weeks

Series: The Night Angel Trilogy (1)

2,968941,927 (4.03)1 / 91
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (ghilbrae)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.

English (89)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Dutch (1)  English (94)
It took a little while to understand the world of this book. I had to restart a number of times, but the perserverance paid off in the end. Looking forward to more set in this world. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I had trouble getting into this book at first and I'm not sure why. Once I was into it, the pages flew by!

This is the story of Azoth and his path to becoming an assassin being taught under the great Durzo Blint. The world is dark and gritty, full of horrible people and people who are just trying to get by. I felt most of the characters were well written, and I never got bored while reading it (after it pulled me in).

It is not exactly breaking new ground, but I wasn't offended by any cliches to be found here. It is a bit cheesy, but sometimes that's what you want to read. Not everything I read has to be "literature" or and "important" book. :)

I liked all the main characters and was engaged the whole time with all of their separate parts, as I said I was never bored.
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
This is a big sprawling epic fantasy, of the "poor street kid with no history is picked up out of the gutter and becomes a major player" type, rather than the epic quest type. There's something to be said for a story that takes the expected tropes, and plays them straight, if it's done well. And this is done rather well.
Recommended for: Lovers of intrigue, philosophising assassins, and morally ambiguous ... well everyone, except the King, actually, is morally ambiguous. Not recommended for: Weak stomachs. Some of the violence is brutal, and quite lovingly described. And being performed by small(ish) children, against other small(er) children.
Full review @ Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
The Night Angel Trilogy is by far one of the best series I've ever read. Captivating world. Captivating characters. Excellent writing. ( )
  wolfeyluvr | Jun 22, 2016 |
Fantastic book! Caught me from the first page and kept me reading late into the night. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033677, Mass Market Paperback)

For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

Determined to escape the Warrens, Azoth seeks out Durzo Blint, the city's most ruthless assassin, to persuade him to take him on as an apprentice and to teach him the deadly Way of Shadows.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,674,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible