Eventide (2004)

by Kent Haruf

Series: Plainsong (2), Holt cycle (4)

In a small town where people encounter each other frequently, destinies entwine easily--and surprisingly. The McPherson brothers see the single mother they'd taken in move away to college; a young boy living alone with his grandfather helps a neighbor whose husband has left her alone to raise their daughters; a child of a disabled couple suffers indignities at school.... A novel about survival, resilience, and, ultimately, hope's triumph over despair.… (more)
    Smoke [short story] by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    The First Forty-Nine Stories by Ernest Hemingway (cometahalley)
    Benediction by Kent Haruf (cometahalley)
    Marvel and a Wonder by Joe Meno (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: Same kind of unconventional-now-conventional family story, each told in their own beautiful ways.

English (68)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (76)
The story of Holt, Colorado continues, and again is told in short episodic vignettes in quiet, simple prose. Victoria and Harold and Raymond are back in this book, but other characters are new, including Luther and Betty June living in a trailer with their children who are being abused by Betty June's Uncle Hoyt, as well as their social worker Rose.

Again, a quiet read, though some evil things are going on under a veneer of calm.

3 1/2 stars

First line: "They came up from the horse barn in the slanted light of early morning."

Last line: "And still in the room they say together quietly, the old man with his arm around the kind woman, waiting for what would come." ( )
  arubabookwoman | Sep 17, 2022 |
Kent Haruf is among the most down-to-earth writers I have ever encountered. His books are simple and beautifully written, but also complex and gritty. He introduces you to people who become embedded in your heart, then he lets you witness the way life can tear at good people, how the evil people can sometimes win the battle, but he gives you to understand that they will never win the war. Why? Because the good people are always out there fighting, showing up, standing firm. He spares you none of the pain, but he also shows you the love and kindness.

The thing I love the most about Haruf is how true he is. Not a single word, not a single character, not a single situation feels contrived or out of place or false. You could be rubbing elbows with any of these people any time. There is a kind of hope in that knowledge that is hard to describe. If he told me each of them was based upon a real person he knows, I would not be the least doubtful.

I fell completely in love with the McPheron brothers in Plainsong. I was so excited to know that they would be included in Eventide as well. The book opens, They came up from the horse barn in the slanted light of early morning. The McPheron brothers, Harold and Raymond. Believe me when I say I smiled broadly and felt like I was in the company of friends.

One other thing Haruf is the master of is realistically depicting children. I find this is a rare talent. Few writers can project a child’s thoughts without error. Haruf’s children react as children, not small adults and not empty minds. They aren’t bundles of innocence but there are many things that occur that they do not completely understand, they are strong and vulnerable at the instant, and they are always individuals and not types.

Eventide might even exceed Plainsong in many ways, and it could stand alone as a read, but it would reduce its impact not to read these books in tandem. They are part of a whole that should not be separated or missed.
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
I love the way this guy wrote. Haruf wrote like Hemingway, minus the macho and
ego. EVENTIDE is the beautiful sequel to PLAINSONG. BENEDICTION,the third book about the ordinary folk of fictional Holt, Colorado, was published in 2014,just a few months before Kent Haruf died. Once I've read that, I will have read all of Haruf's books. I only wish there were more. Like his other books, this one will make you cry. My highest, HIGHest recommendation.

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Jun 22, 2022 |
Another exceptional book from this author. Nobody writes like this anymore. Just a great read about Holt, Colorado. On to another of his books. ( )
  wincheryl | Jun 20, 2022 |
Es ist schon eine Weile her, dass ich Teil 1 dieser Reihe gelesen habe. Das liegt aber nicht daran, dass mir die Bücher von Kent Haruf nicht gefallen, ganz im Gegenteil. Ich liebe seine Art, lebendige Figuren zu zeichnen, deren Alltagssorgen weder zu überzeichnen, noch zu banalisieren, sie aber auf jeden Fall immer ernst zu nehmen.

Ich freue mich auf die weiteren Bücher des Autors (leider hat er viel zu wenige geschrieben). ( )
  Ellemir | May 25, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Abide with me: fast falls the eventide; The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail, and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me. - Henry R. Lyte
For Cathy and in memory of my nephew Mark Kelley Haruf
They came up from the horse barn in the slanted light of early morning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,772,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible