Locomotion (2003)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Series: Locomotion (1)

In a series of poems, eleven-year-old Lonnie writes about his life, after the death of his parents, separated from his younger sister, living in a foster home, and finding his poetic voice at school.
    Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Anonymous user)

Since I'm not the intended audience (age 10 ), I don't feel the need to give this a star rating.

This book, like all Jacqueline Woodson's books, is beautiful in prose and heavy in subject. I recommend her poetry to anyone no matter what age.
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Each poem is like a vignette that gives the reader a glimpse into the life of Lonnie - Locomotion. Some of the poems are sweet. Some evoke tears. And some, ask for contemplation. It’s the type of book that does not take time to read, and in part because of that, feels like it is meant to be revisited. Just as you would take time to revisit the memory of a friend, maybe. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 6, 2021 |
Using verse poetry introduced to him by a beloved teacher, Lonnie C. Motion tells of love, loss, and continuing on after his world is rocked by tragedy. Locomotion is urban poetry for youth at its best. ( )
  kristennicoson | Dec 7, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was very well written and I liked that it was told from the perspective of a young boy. Lonnie is dealing with the loss of his family and adjusting to life in foster care. I didn't like the way the book ended, it seemed very abrupt and it left quite a few questions unanswered. Overall it was a very good, quick read. ( )
  DJLunchlady91404 | May 13, 2019 |
"This whole book’s a poem ’cause every time I try to / tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! / Only it’s not my mind’s voice, / it’s Miss Edna’s over and over and over / Be quiet! . . . So this whole book’s a poem because poetry’s short and / this whole book’s a poem ’cause Ms. Marcus says / write it down before it leaves your brain.”

Lonnie's voice writes and writes, chugging along to let the reader learn more about his foster mother, parents, little sister, and classmates. He offers a fascinating viewpoint into the world around him and shines as a character. I wanted to cover my ears and eyes and somehow guard myself against discovering more hardship, but Lonnie was too engaging. I loved the way that the structure could lend itself to teaching poetry at any level. The authenticity of the story, narrator, and observation shine through, creating bountiful opportunities for discussion. ( )
  fsgiamba | May 1, 2019 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jackson, JDNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Name all the people
You're always thinking about People are poems
For Toshi Georginanna and Juna Franklin
This whole book's a poem 'cause every time I try to tell the whole story my mind goes Be quiet! Only it's not my mind's voice,
It's Miss Edna's over and over and over Be quiet!
You see God everywhere these days. Especially when Miss Edna makes her sweet potato pie and when your little sister smiles

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,264,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible