Tomb of the Golden Bird

by Elizabeth Peters

Amelia and her husband Emerson are on the brink of one of the greatest archaeological finds in history--the tomb of King Tut. But the path to discovery is strewn with dangers, and Emerson's halfbrother Sethos might be more involved than he admits.
    Gods, Graves & Scholars: The Story of Archaeology by C. W. Ceram (Bjace)
    Bjace: One chapter describes the actual finding of King's Tut's tomb.

Synopsis: 'The year is 1922, and renowned archaeologists Amelia Peabody Emerson and her irascible husband, known simply as Emerson, have arrived at their home in the Valley of the Kings, eager to follow up on their discovery of the year before.
Emerson has always suspected a specific mound as the tomb site, but since strict international laws dictate where an archaeologist can work,
any discovery must be credited to the license holder of the area. Much to Emerson's dismay and frustration, the rights to the site belong to an aging antiquities collector, Lord Carnarvon, who is purported to be giving up his rights to the site. Emerson longs to attain the license, but Carnarvon decides to give his expedition one more year, so Emerson can do nothing but look on in envy. He succeeds in insulting the chief excavator to the extent that he and his group are banned from the site. That does not keep the industrious group from finding ingenious ways to enter the tomb.
Meanwhile, the treacherous Sethos, Emerson's secret agent half-brother, becomes an unwelcome guest at the villa. He arrives in the deep of night, suffering from malaria and carrying a stolen encoded message from a band of political revolutionaries that he hopes Ramses, a code specialist, can unravel. The Middle East is in turmoil at the end of World War I, and Iraq and Egypt are still ruled by kings. Revolutionary forces from all sides, funded by wealthy industrialists with a thirst for oil, are attracting local thugs to do their dirty work, and Sethos, as usual, is in the thick of it.
Perhaps the most political of Amelia's adventures, this book offers delightful insights into the opening and cataloging of the tons of gold and antiquities from the glorious tomb of King Tut. The discovery of this tomb signals the beginning of the end of the great explorations in the Valley of the Kings. The auto is supplanting donkeys and horses as transportation. Electric lights erase the shadows from tombs once lit by torches.
It is the end of one era and the beginning of another. The first salvos are being fired in the unrest that, to this day, embroils that part of the world in relentless wars.
Review: I hate that this is the end of the series. However we are led to believe that Peabody and Emerson are getting back on The Amelia to sail into the future and more adventures. ( )
  DrLed | May 14, 2021 |
Amelia Peabody and family are only the observers this time when Howard Carter finds the tomb of Tuthankomen. There are mysteries all around as usual--threats and counter threats and then there is the holiday season to celebrate. New love and old love and a sweet surprise at the end. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
This book is chronogically the last in the Amelia Peabody series (the last book takes place 12 years earlier). I found the plot somewhat weaker than in the previous books but a weaker Amelia Peabody plot is still a good one. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
In the 18th book of the Amelia Peabody series, we join the archaeological Emerson family in 1922 Egypt for another digging season. Radcliffe Emerson is sure a major find is still waiting to be discovered in the Valley of the Kings. Professor Emerson is trying to dissuade the wealthy Lord Carnavon and his hired archaeologist, Howard Carter, from continuing their work and giving the concession to him. Unfortunately Carter and Carnavon want one last season, in which they will soon discover where Tutankhamen is buried.

I've been looking forward to this installment of the series for some time. I've always wondered how they would combine the real-life discovery of King Tutankhamen's tomb with the fictional story of “the world's greatest archaeologist”, Radcliffe Emerson. I enjoyed discovering how Amelia manages to get in on the excitement of the discovery and how she and Emerson refuse to be thwarted by Carnavon and Carter. I really enjoyed seeing how the author slipped in the storyline of how Professor Emerson might have been responsible for letting loose the Mummy's curse that ends in the deaths of Carter and Carnavon, along with other members of the crew.

The series is getting older, as is our heroine, Amelia Peabody. It's not quite as exciting as it used to be but I always give an extra star when listening to the audio book version, narrated by the incomparable Barbara Rosenblat. She personifies Amelia to me, much as Jayne Entwhistle personifies Flavia de Luce. If you are a fan of the series, you should enjoy this one. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
The Tomb Of The Golden Bird (Amelia Peabody #18), by Elizabeth Peters
★★★★ (rounding up to 4½, with a ♥ for the whole series)

Synopsis: Banned forever from the eastern end of the Valley of the Kings, eminent Egyptologist Radcliffe Emerson's desperate attempt to regain digging rights backfires—and his dream of unearthing the tomb of the little-known king Tutankhamon is dashed. Now Emerson, his archaeologist wife, Amelia Peabody, and their family must watch from the sidelines as Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter "discover" the greatest Egyptian treasure of all time. But the Emersons' own less impressive excavations are interrupted when father and son Ramses are lured into a trap by a strange group of villains ominously demanding answers to a question neither man comprehends. And it will fall to the ever-intrepid Amelia to protect her endangered family—and perhaps her nemesis as well—from a devastating truth hidden uncomfortably close to home . . . and from a nefarious plot that threatens the peace of the entire region.
In A Sentence: A decent conclusion to the series, but not my favorite
My Thoughts: Well, chronologically speaking, this is the last in the series, and it ends with a historically famous event: the discovery of King Tut’s tomb. I really enjoyed reading about this event from the perspective of the Emersons; it was pretty entertaining. The mystery element of the story takes a little bit of a backseat so we can learn more about what was going on when Howard Carter found the tomb, which makes the book drag a little, in my opinion. The lack of action didn’t help the book much, and there were multiple things going on, which made it a little confusing. To top it off, I found the Emersons to be just a little hypocritical in this book, saying that Howard Carter and Lord Carnavon shouldn’t have entered the tomb without permission, yet entering the tomb themselves “to make sure everything was all right”.
I still liked the read, though. The humor was funnier this time around, and everyone gets a happy ending, which is nice. I would have loved to see what happens to everyone after the books, and I keep thinking that some of the books in this series would make for some awesome movies or a TV show. Maybe one day…
Anyway, if you have been reading this series, and managed to make it past the 9th or 10th book, you might as well make it to the end. While this isn’t the best book in the series, it is still worth a look.
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |

To Phil and Kathe Gust
Members of the Fellowship
"Ramses!"

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,843,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible