The Corrosion of Character: The Personal…

The Corrosion of Character: The Personal Consequences of Work in the New… (1998)

by Richard Sennett

Drawing on interviews with dismissed IBM executives in Westchester, New York, bakers in a high-tech Boston bakery, a barmaid turned advertising executive, and many others, Sennett explores the disorienting effects of the new capitalism. He reveals the vivid and illuminating contrast between two worlds of work: the vanished world of rigid, hierarchical organizations, where what mattered was a sense of personal character, and the brave new world of corporate re-engineering, risk, flexibility, networking, and short-term teamwork, where what matters is being able to reinvent yourself on a dime. In this timely and essential essay, Sennett enables us to understand the social and political context for our contemporary confusions, and he suggests how we need to re-imagine both community and individual character in order to confront an economy based on the principle of "no long term."… (more)

English (4)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (6)
Lo leí hace siglos en la carrera, para una de las asignaturas de Psicología de las organizaciones y se me hizo pesado no, lo siguiente -_-
Supongo que en esa época le cogí manía a esa rama de la Psicología (que probablemente tuviera que ver con el enfoque que le daban en la UAB y las pocas asignaturas que se le dedicaban en la licenciatura).

No sé si está en casa de mis padres o se quedó en casa de mi primer ex (con el 95% de mi biblioteca). Supongo que ahora lo leería con una perspectiva muy diferente, pero meh. ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
I found it an interesting read about how people are finding it hard to cope with the way work is being presented and the worship of youth over older and experience. Flexibility is one thing but feeling valued in your job and that there is some security is another.

It isn't really my area of expertise but I did find it interesting to read and it did solidify some of my ideas about how work is going. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 3, 2012 |
Fabulous. One of he best books I've read about different economic systems and the consequences they have for ordinary people. ( )
  mjperry | Dec 22, 2009 |
Very engaging book. The focus on capitalism's corroding effect on your ability to relate to people and develop character was interesting. I especially liked at the end how the author admits to no magical solution just a problem that needs addressing. ( )
  ckeithjones | Nov 28, 2006 |
In Memory of Isaiah Berlin
Recently I met someone in an airport whom I hadn't seen for fifteen years.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,752,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible