Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone

The Agony and the Ecstasy (1961)

by Irving Stone

Recently added byFloyd3345, Avasara, private library, LibraryCTC, MFam, bookgirl1968, GMcSo, vdt_melbourne, earthwind

English (56)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (65)
Irving Stone crafted a masterpiece out of the life of Michelangelo Buonarroti. Taking into account the historical situation that Michelangelo lived in with the Medici Family, numerous Popes, and other political situations, Stone stone forms this novel out of the inchoate mass of an empty page.

The novel begins when Michelangelo is a mere stripling of 13 and follows his art under various masters. As he grows he finds marble to be his favorite form of expression, but he can do painting and frescos as well. Finally, on his death-bed at 89, Michelangelo finds comfort in all of his singular accomplishments. Though he had met with opposition over his many years of life, he had created many masterpieces as well.

The book was pretty well researched, but I didn't know anything about this book going into it. Going from the title alone, I merely thought it was some kind of religious novel and in a sense that is correct. Many of the works Michelangelo completed were religious in nature, but that is simply because the Roman Catholic Church was such a staunch supporter of the arts.

In any case, the book was good. I grew up in the Roman Catholic tradition, so I seem to remember a movie based on the painting of the Sistine Chapel ceiling, but I don't remember the title of the movie. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
The images are still vivid 40 years later. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Having been in Italy, specifically Florence and Rome, while reading this amazing book, I was thrilled to be in the very locales specifically mentioned that Michelangelo frequented. Beautifully, highly detailed told story of the genius, Michelangelo. The struggles, the glory of his work is described and deeply explored as well as his motivations for how and what he created. Only wish there was a listing of the myriad personages that pass through his life as it was most difficult to remember who they were with all of the similar names. A long, enjoyable journey well worthwhile especially if you’re a fan of renaissance art and Italy. ( )
  dugmel | Jan 2, 2019 |
Fantastic book about Michelangelo....long, but written so well. ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 16, 2018 |
I read this in my book club last year and I thought it was about 200 pages too long. This is a historical novel about the life of artist Michaelangelo. It was very interesting to read about the time period, the artistic process, and all of the political and religious upheavals that went on in Europe. Kind of difficult to get through and like I said, should have ended about 200 pages sooner, in my opinion! But it did educate me a little and get me to look up some of Michaelangelo's art. ( )
  Janellreads | Oct 18, 2017 |
He sat before the mirror in the second floor bedroom sketching his lean cheeks with their high bone ridges, the flat broad forehead, and ears too far back on the head, the hair curling forward in thatches, the amber-colored eyes wide-set but heavy-lidded.
1st ed. (1961): The agony and the ecstasy, a novel of Michelangelo.

Please distinguish between this work, Irving Stone's 1961 novel The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo, and the similarly titled The Agony and the Ecstasy: Short Stories and New Writing in Celebration of the World Cup edited by Nicholas Royle. Thank you.

Celebrating the 500th anniversary of Michelangelo’s David, New American Library releases a special edition of Irving Stone’s classic biographical novel—in which both the artist and the man are brought to life in full. A masterpiece in its own right, this novel offers a compelling portrait of Michelangelo’s dangerous, impassioned loves, and the God-driven fury from which he wrested the greatest art the world has ever known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:11 -0400)

Fictional biography of Michelangelo. High demand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible