Nobody's Fool (1993)

by Richard Russo

2,193495,451 (4.17)195
In 1750, without warning or apparent reason, the mineral springs of the colonial resort town of Bath, New York, ran dry. A little more than two hundred years later, after numerous warnings and for too many reasons, Sully, the unluckiest man in this unlucky town, isn't doing too hot either. He's broke, out of a job, and the owner of a dead pickup truck. The good news? Sully has the dumbest man in North Bath as his devoted friend, a long-suffering, long-married woman who loves him, a forgiving eighty-year-old landlady who converses with her late husband, a spastic doberman as a watchdog, and the finest one-legged drunken Jewish lawyer this side of Albany. Now, if Sully could only banish his father's slyly grinning ghost and earn his own son's respect, he might just turn the whole damn thing around.… (more)

Sully, Sully, Sully! ( )
  turtal30 | Apr 19, 2021 |
I found the occasional use of the “N” word to be jarring and it added nothing to the plot. It was like bumping into an anachronism from the 1800s. It was an enjoyable read with good characters but I almost put it down each time he used this device. ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
Kindle (LFPL)
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
I didn't find this to be quite as compelling as Empire Falls was, but it was damn close.

Ron McClarty narrated Nobody's Fool, (as he did Empire Falls), and I ADORE this man's voice.

I will be looking for more works from both of these gentlemen. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
Shame on me, I read Everybody's Fool first when Nobody's Fool should have had that honor.

Even though the incorrigible Sully was the center character, thus book lacked the humor that I found in Russo's other books.

Also, this book reeked of misogyny. And animal cruelty.

I did not enjoy this book , my least favorite of the several I've read. ( )
  Alphawoman | Jan 21, 2020 |
For Jean Levarn Findlay
Upper Main Street in the village of North Bath, just above the town's two-block-long business district, was quietly residential for three more blocks, then became even more quietly rural along old Route 27A, a serpentine two-lane blacktop that snaked its way through the Adirondacks of northern New York, with their tiny, down-at-the-heels resort towns, all the way to Montreal and prosperity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,373,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible