The Sandman: Dream Country (1991)

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Karen Berger (Editor), Colleen Doran (Illustrator), Steve Erickson (Introduction), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator), Kelley Jones (Illustrator)5 more, Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Cover artist), William Shakespeare (Contributor), Charles Vess (Illustrator), Danny Vozzo (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (03 (Issues 17-20)), Sandman (TPB, issues 17-20)

6,5951011,192 (4.24)1 / 224
The third book of the Sandman collection is a series of four short comic book stories. In each of these otherwise unrelated stories, Morpheus serves only as a minor character. Here we meet the mother of Morpheus's son, find out what cats dream about, and discover the true origin behind Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream.… (more)

English (96)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (101)
Each one of these stories was exceptional! I loved how they packed a punch despite being short. ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |
Four standalone separate mini stories with the Dream King (or Death) making some sort of appearance in them. These four stories are definitely worth a change from the "graphic novel" format. Featuring Shakespeare, Element Girl, a couple novelists, and a bunch of cats. Includes the script to 'Calliope', which is a fun look behind the curtain of comic making. (I love that he asked Alan Moore to see his scripts for an example.) ( )
  booklove2 | Jan 3, 2022 |
This volume is a little bit different from the other two. It's all about short stories, some of them are really good, the others are ok. Nevertheless, it was a very pleasant read. ( )
  Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |
very good but seemed shorter. loved the cats. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
Just keeps getting better and better. I loved the Kelly Jones art, I loved the one-off stories, each one so unbelievably different from the one before.

This stuff is magic. ( )

Shakespeare, WilliamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, Michael CharlesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I do not know whether you know all that is to be known concerning small mirrors: but of this, silence." - Arthur Machen, in a letter to James Branch Cabell. 17 Feb. 1918
"Writers are liars." -Erasmus Fry, a conversation 5 May 1986
May, 1986. So what is it? It smells quite disgusting.
When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me when I leave.

Collects "Calliope," "A Dream of a Thousand Cats," "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Façade," originally published in The Sandman #17-20.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,723,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible