dismiss

The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists (1992)

by Neil Gaiman, Mark Dringenberg (Illustrator), Dick Giordano (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator), Kelley Jones (Illustrator)3 more, George Pratt (Illustrator), P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Matt Wagner (Illustrator)

Other authors: Harlan Ellison (Introduction), Steve Oliff (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (4)

"Ten thousand years ago, Morpheus condemned a woman who loved him to Hell. Now the other members of his immortal family, The Endless, have convinced the Dream King that this was an injustice. To make it right, Morpheus must return to Hell to rescue his banished love--and Hell's ruler, the fallen angel Lucifer, has already sworn to destroy him."--Amazon.com.… (more)
    Lucifer Book One by Mike Carey (Euryale)
    Euryale: A Sandman spin-off that's well worth reading on its own merits.

I really liked this one! I love seeing Dream's family come together. It's also nice when Dream realizes he's been a huge dick, even though he never would have realized it on his own. At least he's willing to listen to his sister and fix his mistakes. I love that Lucifer was just like, fuck it, I'm done with hell, see you losers on the beach! I'm sure he'll spend his retirement well. And I liked those Dream reaction panels where he couldn't think of anything to say.
Meeting the pantheon of gods and other creatures/incarnations/whatevers was great, especially how the art style kept switching up. Thor's tiny hands made me laugh.

There was a lot of Deus ex Machine in this volume, once literally! Whenever I thought, "how's Dream gonna get out of this one??", something really unexpected and convenient happened to prevent him from being destroyed or from having to make a really hard decision. Lucky. It was still interesting though. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
  slick_schick | Jun 16, 2020 |
Re-Read, 4/4/20:

Oh, honestly, I shivered throughout the re-read. This is SUCH an important volume for the rest of the tale. And I really can't top my original review, either.

What a great twist this volume is. :)

Original Review:

Now the good stuff really gets started.

Introducing most of the Endless, we discover intrigue with Destiny, some deep sadness in Delirium, friendship in Death, capriciousness in Desire, and maybe a bit of reasonableness in Despair. Dream is there, of course, and he's rightly annoyed with his siblings.

He is, after all, the one who had perpetrated a great crime. Who are they to taunt him?

Ah, Nada. Such a tragic figure.

And she's only a plot hook!

Oh Hell... I'm not going to spoil Hell, but Dream goes back to right his great wrong.

I was so surprised with the outcome. Delighted. Flabbergasted. The implications were enormous and made me giddy with anticipation.

If the Eternals weren't enough to make things interesting, we also get the Aesir, Angels, Chaos, Chinese Gods, Devils, Fae, and Order knocking on Dream's door to threaten, bribe, plead. So totally delicious.

I read American Gods before Sandman, so I was grooving to this tune and this twist in a big way. Hell, this Volume epitomizes everything I love about the Sandman Series. When it thinks big, it thinks BIG. Let's not piddle around the the little crap, shall we? Let's move Heaven and Earth.

Woo! Woo! If only all comics could get this grandiose! (Of course, I later learned that some could get pretty close, but this is my first taste of something really good.) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The beginning was nice, the build up was excellent, but the ending left more to be desired. There could have been so many endings, so many different possibilities, and Neil chose to end with the most dull/boring one, emerging from a deuce ex machina (yep, you read that right).
Liked: the endless family meeting, the depiction of forgotten deities (that would follow in [b:American Gods|4407|American Gods (American Gods, #1)|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1258417001s/4407.jpg|1970226] ) and the renovation of hell. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
This collection of comics went back to a story that we learned in a previous comic about Dream's relationship with Nada. I liked that this came up again - the story felt so unresolved last time, so I was interested to see how it got resolved now.
  GretchenLynn | Apr 21, 2020 |

McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a dreadful Hell,
and everlasting pains;
there sinners must with devils dwell
in darkness, fire, and chains.

Isaac Watts (1674-1748) from Divine and Moral Songs for Children. 1720.
You don't have to stay anywhere forever.
Edwin Paine (1901-1914), in conversation, December 1990.
Walk any path in Destiny's Garden, and you will be forced to choose, not once but many times.
To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the Season of Mists, and may each and every one of us always give the Devil his due.
You killed a number of people who by now would be long-since dead anyway. So what?
There must be a Hell. There must be a place for the demons; a place for the damned. Hell is Heaven's reflection. It is Heaven's shadow. They define each other. Reward and Punishment; hope and despair. There must be a Hell, for without Hell, Heaven has no meaning.

Collects "Season of Mists" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #21-28.

Ten thousand years after banishing to Hell a woman who scorned him, Morpheus, the King of Dreams, has decided to free his former lover. But when the Sandman arrives in the realm of eternal damnation, Lucifer, the first fallen angel, notifies him that he is closing down Hell and he wants Morpheus to have the keys. Now in charge of the gates of Hell, the King of Dreams is bombarded with requests for possession of the empty kingdom by Norse gods, homeless demons, Egyptian deities, Faerie ambassadors, the lords of Chaos and Order, and Japanese divinities. Realizing too late that Lucifer's gift was a veiled curse, Morpheus is forced to make a decision that will affect every plane of existence as well as the universal balance of power. -- from Vertigo (www.dccomics.com)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,203,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible