Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Johnny Tremain (1943)

by Esther Forbes

I have to admit I was a little disappointed with this one.
Johnny Tremain is an apprentice silversmith in Boston, just before the American Revolution begins. He is a particularly talented, but also particularly conceited young man. He is betrothed to his master's daughter, and destined to take over the silver shop when his master retires. But then he has an accident that ruins his right hand. He will never be able to do silver work... the only thing for which he has trained. He spends some time aimlessly wandering about town, before eventually getting associated with some of the Whigs about town... those who were rousing resentment in America against the British. And this is where the book weakens.
The first portion of the story is completely focused on young Johnny Tremain. We learn his strengths and weaknesses. We're eager for him to grow into a better man than he is as we are introduced to him. But the story drifts more and more away from Johnny and begins to feel like more of a history lesson. Yes, Johnny is present and participating, but very little of what happens in the second half of the book actually has anything particularly to do with him. It seems like he is merely the vehicle for telling the historical story of the beginning of the American war for independence. Some of the things the reader is eager to learn about Johnny are simply abandoned altogether, and other things are answered in a rushed way before heading off to more of the revolution story.
The American Revolution is certainly a worthy and fascinating story. But when I picked up a YA novel, I was hoping for more of a story about a young man, and less of a story about Sam Adams, Paul Revere and John Hancock. ( )
  fingerpost | May 7, 2019 |
Johnny is apprenticed to a silversmith but is injured and unable to ply the silversmith trade. He searches for a new trade but has problems finding something he likes. He starts to deliver papers for a Whig printer and starts to deliver messages for the Sons of Liberty.

It's been a long time since I read this. I am glad I re-read it. Set during the Revolutionary War, it brings the lead-up and the early days of the war to life. I liked Johnny and those who he came in contact with during his rides. I like that he formed a friendship with Rab. I had a clear picture of Johnny's thoughts and feelings. Written during WWII, it is very idealistic. It made me think if today's generation/society has the same idealism of freedom and liberty for all. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jan 31, 2019 |
Johnny Tremain is apprenticed to a silversmith and doing quite well as the top apprentice above two other boys. But when he works on the Sabbath and has a nasty trick played on him, he finds out what it's like to be at the bottom. He must find another way to survive.
He finds that life doesn't always go the way we hope or plan, and certainly not the way we want. He learns better ways of dealing with situations, as well as his feelings towards them.
After becoming friends with a slightly older boy named Rab, and working as a messenger boy for the printing shop, he becomes involved with The Sons of Liberty. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
Love the history with a fictional twist ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 16, 2018 |
This book is some of the best historical fiction set during the Revolutionary War I have ever read! Sad in some parts, but very good! ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
To read Johnny Tremain is to live through two dramatic years of our country's history, and to see these great events through the shrewd eyes of an observant boy. After injuring his hand, this silversmith's apprentice in Boston becomes a messenger for the Sons of Liberty in the days before the American Revolution. His new role brings Johnny Tremain in contact with the great men of history: John Hancock, John and Samuel Adams, and other Boston patriots. The story leads up to the Tea Party and Battle of Lexington. Ward has sharpened the drama of the story by adding full-page illustrations. 1944 Newbery Award.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Recorded Books (Recorded Books, LLC.)
There was a purpose in what happened to Johnny Tremain, but he couldn’t see it at the time. Johnny had been Mr. Lapham’s star pupil, a clever, industrious apprentice silversmith, if not always well liked, at least envied by all who knew him around Hancock’s Wharf. His skills had even been admired by Paul Revere, the finest silversmith in Boston. But when Johnny seriously burns his hand in a furnace, he finds himself crippled, without an occupation, and with no means of taking care of himself. It seems that fate has literally dealt him a cruel hand. Soon, trouble reaches Johnny’s life in a new way. Swept along in the tide of events leading to the Boston Tea Party and the first skirmishes of Lexington and Concord, Johnny finds a job as message-carrier for the Sons of Liberty. As young and old men alike make sacrifices for a new country, Johnny prepares to take his own stand in the cause for freedom.
added by kthomp25 | editRecorded Books

Esther Forbesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cameron, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCurdy, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stauffer, Ruth M.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LyndIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pamela, Emily, John and Molly Taylor
On rocky islands gulls woke.

This novel has been used three times by our seventh and eighth grade language arts teachers within the past 10 years. It has not been used recently as we have been using SpringBoard curriculum which comes with its own embedded novel units: Tangerine for th grade and The Giver for 8th grade. My experience with Johnny Tremain has been positive partly due to the extensive teacher materials we have to accompany it. However, one year, we spent too much time (like six weeks) on the novel and we were all worn out and tired of it. We would also show the Disney film to cap off our study and to provide visuals such as the early printing press. Nowadays with much easier access to visuals and primary sources, I imagine the Disney film would be an "if there was time" addition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440442508, Paperback)

This story of a tragically injured young silversmith who ends up hip-deep in the American Revolution is inspiring, exciting, and sad. Winner of the prestigious Newbery Award in 1944, Esther Forbes's story has lasted these 50-plus years by including adventure, loss, courage, and history in a wonderfully written, very dramatic package. It's probably not great for little guys but mature 11-year-olds or older will find it a great adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

Johnny Tremain, a silversmith's apprentice, takes part in the Boston Tea Party and the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,461,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible