Johnny Tremain (1943)

by Esther Forbes

Series: Scholastic Book Guides (Grades 6-9)

After injuring his hand, a silversmith's apprentice in Boston becomes a messenger for the Sons of Liberty in the days before the American Revolution.

The boy says it was awesome. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
This is a kids books, but not a terrible way to introduce them to the period. A good choice for young or starting reader of the period. ( )
  anthrosercher | Jul 11, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Read in 1977 - pre-Goodreads

Review 12.01.17

Yikes, that's a review done 40 years after the fact. What do I remember about this? I remember I liked it. I remember it was about the Revolutionary War. I remember about the silver and the hand and the webbing. Still gives me chills. I later on went to a Christian school where we weren't allowed to read this. I think it was because it had a swear word in it. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
To read Johnny Tremain is to live through two dramatic years of our country's history, and to see these great events through the shrewd eyes of an observant boy. After injuring his hand, this silversmith's apprentice in Boston becomes a messenger for the Sons of Liberty in the days before the American Revolution. His new role brings Johnny Tremain in contact with the great men of history: John Hancock, John and Samuel Adams, and other Boston patriots. The story leads up to the Tea Party and Battle of Lexington. Ward has sharpened the drama of the story by adding full-page illustrations. 1944 Newbery Award.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Recorded Books (Recorded Books, LLC.)
There was a purpose in what happened to Johnny Tremain, but he couldn’t see it at the time. Johnny had been Mr. Lapham’s star pupil, a clever, industrious apprentice silversmith, if not always well liked, at least envied by all who knew him around Hancock’s Wharf. His skills had even been admired by Paul Revere, the finest silversmith in Boston. But when Johnny seriously burns his hand in a furnace, he finds himself crippled, without an occupation, and with no means of taking care of himself. It seems that fate has literally dealt him a cruel hand. Soon, trouble reaches Johnny’s life in a new way. Swept along in the tide of events leading to the Boston Tea Party and the first skirmishes of Lexington and Concord, Johnny finds a job as message-carrier for the Sons of Liberty. As young and old men alike make sacrifices for a new country, Johnny prepares to take his own stand in the cause for freedom.
added by kthomp25 | editRecorded Books

Esther Forbesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cameron, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCurdy, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stauffer, Ruth M.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LyndIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pamela, Emily, John and Molly Taylor
On rocky islands gulls woke.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,324,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible