Collected Ghost Stories by M. R. James

Collected Ghost Stories

by M. R. James

Series: Ghost Stories of M.R. James (Omnibus 1-4)

Recently added bycvobrien, starlight17, Jane888, Antonio_Arch, private library, samiswine, Art77, Dobrynine, Ron18, RoyNicholls
Legacy LibrariesEvelyn Waugh
    Cold Hand in Mine: Strange Stories by Robert Aickman (chrisharpe)
    Nine Ghosts by R.H. Malden (EveleenM)
    EveleenM: Malden's stories are written in a very similar style to James', and the best of the collection are very enjoyable.
    Dark Encounters : A Collection of Ghost Stories by William Croft Dickinson (EveleenM)
    EveleenM: Dickinson's stories are an interesting contrast to James's: they are ghost stories of a presbyterian Scots antiquary, as opposed to an anglican Cambridge don. An enjoyable read.
    The Virago Book of Ghost Stories Volume 2: The Twentieth Century by Richard Dalby (MinaKelly)

English (32)  Danish (1)  All languages (33)
My very favorite of ghost story writers. Eerie, witty, picturesque and transporting. The volume I read had only
"A View From A Hill"
"Rats"
"A School Story"
"The Ash Tree"
"The Story of a Disappearance and an Appearance"
  DFratini | Apr 23, 2018 |
An interesting collection of ghost stories. James does have a knack for the genre, but there are a few that feel too much the same. My favorite was "The Mezzotint", which was creepy and easy to follow. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Aug 5, 2016 |
I think the stories are arranged largely in chronological order as there's a marked increase in quality as you come to the middle of the book.
He's a master of fantastic understatement; I had to re-read a few passages, asking myself "Did that really just happen?"
He gives as sense of reality by having the events seemingly reported but the downside is that you're removed emotionally from the action and no particular story stands out. As a result I found the sameness a bit of a strain towards the end.
Overall though, a most unusual and enjoyable book. ( )
1 vote Lukerik | Jul 12, 2016 |
Great atmospheric collection. Felt the latter stories were poorer but very much enjoyed overall. Suitably Victorian Gothic. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Unlike the non-stop, bucket of blood horror stories of today, the Collected Ghost Stores of M.R. James are subdued, implied, and, at times, quite chilling. This collection contained 30 stories and for me not all of the stories worked, but there were some that definitely sent shivers down my back and a need to turn up the lights.

Mostly set in England, many of these stories relied on the author’s knowledge of church history and the horror is almost always indirect and implied. The author trusts his audiences’ imagination to fill in the blanks and this, I believe, is what makes these stories so good. Whether it is being trapped on a dark staircase with the knowledge that something is with you or the sound of scratching outside your bedroom door late at night, the terror comes from the reader’s own mental images.

Rich in atmosphere, these dark and twisty stories are the perfect way to prepare oneself for Halloween. This is a book that I will put back on my shelves and pull down again on a future rainy, windy October night. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Oct 27, 2015 |

Jones, DarrylEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mosley, FrancisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M. R. James

Canon Alberic's Scrap-book [short story] by M. R. James (indirect)

Lost Hearts by M. R. James (indirect)

The Mezzotint [short story] by M. R. James (indirect)

The Ash-Tree [short story] by M. R. James (indirect)

Number 13 [short story] by M. R. James (indirect)

For my husband
ANTHONY JOHN RANSON
with love from your wife, the publisher
Eternally grateful for your
unconditional love
This is an omnibus volume containing all the stories published in M.R. James' four original volumes of ghost stories. It should contain 31 stories. Please do not combine it with editions which are only selections, containing a smaller number of stories.
This book contains 34 stories - all stories from James' four short story collections, and three additional stories. See description for list of stories.
This book contains the following 34 stories:
Canon Alberic's Scrapbook
Lost Hearts
The Mezzotint
The Ash Tree
Number 13
Count Magnus
'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad'
The Treasure of Abbot Thomas
Wailing Well
The Experiment
The Malice of Inanimate Objects
A Vignette
Stories I have Tried to Write.

Considered by many to be the most terrifying writer in English, James's stories draw on the terrors of the everyday. Documents and objects unleash terrible forces, often in closed rooms and night-time settings where imagination runs riot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,454,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible