Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark by Donna…

Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark

by Donna Simpson

The Marquess of Darkefell has enough to worry about with a bloodthirsty wild beast rampaging the countryside and sinister family secrets to protect. Then Lady Anne Addison arrives, with unquenchable curiosity and intelligence that drive him to distraction.
    Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn (ktleyed)
    And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (ktleyed)
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels feature a prickly, very intelligent 'spinster' unravelling a seemingly paranormal mystery while charming a large and irascible love interest. There were snippets of dialogue in Lady Anne that definitely reminded me of the Amelia Peabody novels. Crocodile on the Sandbank - archaeological mystery set in Egypt. Lady Anne - Gothic romance… (more)

Historical mystery with Gothic tones set in Yorkshire, during Georgian times. Lady Anne Addison is a spinster sleuth that sets out so solve a murder mystery with the unwilling help of the handsome and enigmatic Marquess of Darkefell. I liked it overall, but had a little trouble in the beginning. Lady Anne is too curious for her own good and not all that likable at first, but she tends to grow on you. First in a series, but not sure when the next book is due out.

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2010/03/lady-anne-and-howl-in-dark-by-donna-lea.html ( )
  ktleyed | Mar 7, 2010 |
Synopsis: A fascinating and exasperating young lady…

The Marquess of Darkefell has enough to worry about with a bloodthirsty wild beast rampaging the countryside and sinister family secrets to protect. Then Lady Anne Addison arrives, with unquenchable curiosity and intelligence that drive him to distraction…

An infuriatingly unyielding man…

Lady Anne finds the marquess darkly handsome, seductive, and forceful, with a ruthless magnetism that challenges and stimulates her. But he seems determined to keep secrets that may threaten both herself and her helpless friend…

Thrown together in a time of crisis, with a murderer on the loose, the marquess picks an absolutely dreadful moment and the worst possible way to declare his intentions…

(from Amazon)

"Lady Anne" was my introduction to Donna Lea Simpson and I was not disappointed. I admit that I was attracted to the book initially due to the cover, which has just enough historical mood, darkness and a bare man's chest to spur my desire. Reading the plot sealed the deal for me.

How to describe "Lady Anne"? It's gothic, in the same vein as Daphne DuMaurier and Victoria Holt. It's historical in the same vein as Philippa Gregory. It's a romance for the thinking and discriminating reader. It has a taste of the paranormal that reminds me a bit of Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey". And it has a neat little mystery to wrap up into a pleasing literary gift.

One of the things I loved best about this book was the central character of Lady Anne Addison. She is certainly no frail flower of the time (England of 1786), fainting and keeping to women's interests (sewing or having children). She is more like a man of that time period - - curious, inquisitive, willful, bold and determined to remain unmarried.

I also felt a connection with the character of Boatin, Darkefell's secretary and his story of how he came to England from Africa. Here was a man who was well-read, if not superiorly educated, who was fiercely loyal to his employer, while still recognizing his faults, and who treated Anne as both a lady and as an equal. In fact, I felt somewhat more of a connection with Boatin than I did with Darkefell - - although Darkefell is quite reminiscent of Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, with his perceived arrogance and hidden sensitive nature.

Another wonderful thing about this book are the luscious details of the 18th century - - the attire, the headwear, the castles and estates - - which will cause readers of historical fiction to devour this tale. Boatin's tale, as mentioned above, is an accurate recounting of true events, giving even more depth to Ms. Simpson's story and characters.

The only downside to this book, in my own opinion, is the somewhat unresolved ending . . . which makes perfect sense if you realize "Lady Anne" is the first of a new three-part series. The ending leaves this reader, at least, wanting more and anxious to see where Lady Anne's travels take her next and what part the mysterious and moody Darkefell will play in her life in the future.

I recommend "Lady Anne" without reservation, if you're a fan of gothic, historical, paranormal romance.

http://psychoticstate.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-of-lady-anne-and-howl-in-dark-... ( )
2 vote LoriHedgpeth | Sep 14, 2009 |
Give a brief summary of the book:

Lady Anne goes to help her friend who believes that there are werewolves near the estate where she now lives with her new husband. While there, Anne meets the Marquess of Darkefell, who seems to have secrets of his own, as well as finding herself in the midst of a mystery. And could there really be a werewolf hunting in the countryside?

Likes?

I loved Lady Anne Addison's character. She was a strong woman who wasn't afraid to be herself. I also really enjoyed the historical setting of this mystery and found myself drawn into the story at once. The author succeeds in creating a slightly creepy atmosphere with hints of possibility towards the supernatural. The mystery itself would probably be considered a cozy mystery but it was a good one that kept me guessing.

Dislikes?

That is easy...the ending of the story. In fact, I about threw the book after I finished with it. I HATE when authors leave endings open and I am not expecting them to. But then I found out that this is the first book in a series and that there will definitely be a 2nd book. Well, that was another story and helped me to tolerate the ending with a bit more ease than I originally did. (Note: I do not seem to mind open endings if I am prepared for them or if someone warns me ahead of time...I'm kinda goofy like that)

Additional Thoughts?

All in all, I'm glad that I was given the chance to read this book and I will be picking up the 2nd book when it comes out...hmm...I should check on that. The author has a strong main character to base the series off of and I will be looking forward to more of Lady Anne Addison! ( )
  samantha.1020 | Sep 5, 2009 |
What a great combination romance and mystery! The Marquess of Darkefell has no idea what he's in for when the spunky Lady Anne shows up on his doorstep one dark rainy eve, covered with blood and demanding answers. Summoned by her friend, Lady Anne refuses to back down to the Marquess, even when he tries using his kisses to distract her. The dialogue is witty and you won't know whether to cheer Anne on or shake your head as she plunges into one thing after another. I found myself chuckling as she got caught snooping on more than one occasion. This book is definitely something worth adding to your library. Even more exciting is that there are two more Lady Anne books coming out continuing the romance and adventure between these two. ( )
  tbbycatt | Apr 23, 2009 |
I loved Anne. She's smart and no-nonsense, certainly not the hare-brained heroine often found in Gothic novels, though she does share their unquenchable curiosity. I loved her blunt interrogations, her sympathy for others, and her willingness to hold her own against the over-bearing marquess. In many ways she reminded me of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody, though Anne is certainly quite different (not quite as eccentric), the two share a deep-seated determination and a quick intelligence. Anne is a wonderful character made unique in that she remains ever-conscious of her place in society and the demands it makes of her. If she was sometimes exasperatingly single-minded, it was nonetheless endearing both to the marquess and the reader.

The Marquess of Darkefell is an excellent Gothic hero - dark and mysterious, keeping secrets from the heroine and surrounded by a sense danger (but not in a way that has you screaming at the heroine to Run Away, you ninny!). He's at times brash without realizing it (the speech in the church really is a hoot), and he loves to spar verbally with Anne.

I just love the tone, it's very witty. The romantic scenes in particular left me with a smile on my face. That added to the deliciously creepy Gothic atmosphere and the mystery surrounding the werewolf made this a successful blend of genres and an excellent read.

More at my blog.

FTC Disclosure: I received a free review copy from the publisher. ( )
1 vote Caramellunacy | Apr 17, 2009 |
What was it about Lydia's letter that worried Anne so deeply?

Donna Lea Simpson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,223,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible