Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the… (2003)

by Laurence Bergreen

"A middle grade adaptation of Bergreen's adult title of the same name, about Magellan's historic voyage around the globe"--

English (45)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (47)
Every epic fiction story pales in comparison with the true story of 5 little spanish ships voyaging through unknown waters. ( )
  Pindarix | Jul 15, 2021 |
Excellently written and thoroughly enjoyable read. A true adventure of historically important discovery from the age of exploration. ( )
  mcola | Apr 2, 2021 |
Magellan's voyage in 1519 was not long after the brutal mass eviction of Jews from Spain in 1492 and in the long build up to the terrible removal of 350,000 Muslims between 1609 to 1614. So this book, based on first hand accounts, is particularly interesting as the seamen meet south americans and then many different island communities after crossing the Pacific Ocean. But while the first hand accounts were enough to keep me interested as far as the spice islands, I was then frustrated by the lack of other points of view - there were indigenous peoples, Muslim communities, chinese influenced civilisation - I wanted to know far more about what the Spanish ships encountered and lost interest in the mariners themselves, and what happened to them. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
This book was amazingly good! I had never given much thought to Magellan circumnavigating the globe before but this book promised to be a gripping page turner according to the reviews. It was just that.

For a nonfiction book, this flowed well and kept up a good pace. I learned and relearned about the Age of Discovery and about life on a ship in the 16th century. It wasn't pleasant. It seemed if the storms didn't get you, the scurvy would.

Everything is presented here: the good, the bad, and the ugly. The self-righteousness of people claiming other people's countries with the idea it was their due is the sad, unsettling, and very real undertone of this book. These men discover new lands, new wildlife, new cultures. They also burn down villages, kill native peoples, baptize them in the name of Christianity, and trade trinkets for treasure. They often consider mutiny against their Captain General but are usually punished according to the ways of the Spanish Inquisition. Read: Torture.

Knowing next to nothing about this journey, it was definitely a page turner for me. I had no idea what happened when they got to the Phillippines, for instance. I appreciate the work the author did in his research and also the epilogue he added. I love epilogues as I like that sense of closure.

Now I want more! There's no end of exploration novels, I expect. This was certainly a good one. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Well documented, comprehensive narrative of Magellan's circumnavigation. Begreen's use of specific details from logs of the voyage give a rare authenticity. ( )
  starkravingmad | Nov 1, 2020 |

Laurence Bergreenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jerome, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How a ship having passed the Line was driven by

storms to the cold Country towards the South Pole;

and how from thence she made her course to the

tropical Latitude of the Great Pacific Ocean; and

of the strange things that befell; and in what manner

the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

In memory of my brother and father
On September 6, 1522, a battered ship appeared on the horizon near the port of San Lucar de Barrameda, Spain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,524,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible