Holmes on the Range

by Steve Hockensmith

1893 is a tough year in Montana, and any job is a good job. When Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer sign on as ranch hands at the secretive Bar-VR cattle spread, they're not expecting much more than hard work, bad pay, and a comfortable campfire around which they can enjoy their favorite pastime: scouring Harper's Weekly for stories about the famous Sherlock Holmes. When another ranch hand turns up in an outhouse with a bullet in his brain, Old Red sees the perfect opportunity to put his Holmes-inspired detective talents to work and solve the case. Big Red, like it or not (and mostly he does not), is along for the wild ride in this clever, compelling, and completely one-of-a-kind mystery.… (more)

cowboy sleuths in old west , Holmes actual detective
  ritaer | Jul 22, 2021 |
I admit to a weakness for Holmesian pastiches, and this is one of the better ones I've read. Who couldn't love cowboy detectives? ( )
  JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
Digital audio narrated by William Dufris
3.5***

From the book jacket: It’s 1893, a tough year in Montana, and any job is a good job. When Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer sign on as ranch hands at the secretive Bar VR cattle spread, they’re not expecting much more than hard work, bad pay, and a comfortable campfire around which they can enjoy their favorite pastime: scouring Harper’s Weekly for stories about the famous Sherlock Holmes.

My reactions
Well, this was a hoot and a half! I loved the brothers Big Red (Otto) and Old Red (Gustav) and how they worked together. Big Red narrates, as he is the more educated of the two, being able to read and write. But Old Red is the real fan of Holmes and his methods of observation and deduction, and it is he who finally solves the murder.

Hockensmith liberally sprinkles the text with colloquialism and colorful cowboy metaphors, and includes a host of memorable supporting characters (loved the Swedish cook!). The mystery plot was sufficiently complicated to keep me guessing right up to the reveal.

I’ll keep reading this series.

William Dufris does a marvelous job of performing the audiobook. He has a gift for voices / dialects and I particularly enjoyed his interpretation of the Swede, ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 27, 2021 |
Some years back I read number 5 in this series--World's Greatest Sleuth. At the time the beginning of the series wasn't available on audio.

I enjoyed learning of the beginning's of Big Red and Old Red as the old west Sherlock and Dr. Watson. Illiterate Old Red loved to hear his brother, Big Red, read the serialized accounts of Sherlock Holmes and began to fancy himself an observer and thinker in the same line. Great story, if maybe a bit too long--but I didn't mind. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
Holmes has a new incarnation when a western cowboy in 1893 uses his deductive methods. Old Red sets out to deduce if a man was murder. And who killed him.
Really enjoyed the characters of Old Red and Big Red. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Apr 13, 2020 |
FOR MAR, OF COURSE
There are two things you can't escape out here in the West: dust and death.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,166,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible