Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee by Robert Van…

Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee

by Robert van Gulik (Translator)

Series: Judge Dee: Publication order (0)

Recently added byprivate library, Poelie, rexraine, Themis-Athena, Glacierman, Familiar_Diversions, BAICA, NinieB, grall
    A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: one is a monk, one is a judge. but both tell a good story of mystery

English (8)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (10)
Enjoyable as a mystery novel, but mostly interesting to me for all the knowledge it provides on daily life, society, government, and law in Tang China. ( )
  JackMassa | Jan 24, 2019 |
I listened to this on Audible this time; I read all the Judge Dee books years ago and enjoyed this one again.

Van Gulik was born in the Netherlands, but grew up in Jakarta -- then Batavia. He learned a lot of languages well and took a PhD in Leiden before becoming a diplomat, then worked in Japan until the Japanese declared war on Netherlands in 1941. He went to China, and became fascinated with the Chinese detective mystery. He's an interesting character himself, and I've just convinced myself to search out a biography — or write one! ( )
  NatalieSW | Jul 18, 2016 |
Certainly as a curiosity, not only about the ancient Chinese legal system but also about its literature, particularly the detective genre, Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee is successful and does provide some entertainment. However, I thought that, considered alone and on its own merits, the story was somewhat plodding and the characters somewhat one-dimensional (though I can appreciate the concept of the stock character). Van Gulik mentions in his translation notes that he has simplified the text for the non-Sinologist, but I don't think that plays a large role in my perception. The book reminded me of a generic television detective drama--entertaining but not worth catching in re-runs. Though it's been probably about 15 years or so since I first read some of the Judge Dee novels, I remember enjoying them more than I did this one, and perhaps that's because they are written by, rather than translated by, van Gulik. Three stars. ( )
  astuo | Sep 2, 2011 |
I like the book. It is different from the other's that this author wrote, although he keeps it pretty close. This is a translated book written by someone else in the 18th century that was later translated by Robert Van Gulik during WWII. It is a very good read and you also get an interesting history of china and how there legal system works. ( )
  TracyK1 | May 27, 2009 |
weird ancient chinese detective drama.I read this for world history II. ( )
  michaeleconomy | Jan 28, 2009 |

van Gulik, RobertTranslatorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wetering, Janwillem van deIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wenn auch das ganze Volk sich nach dem Friedensrichter sehnt,
sind's doch nur wen'ge, die zu schätzen wissen, was er tut,
um ein Verbrechen aufzudecken, Strenge, Nachsicht zu üben laut Gesetz
und Äußerstes zu meiden, das ihm schlaue Klügler empfehlen oder dringend raten.
Robert Hans van Gulik translated this book from the 18th century Chinese original, and then wrote a series of books himself on the same pattern as the Chinese genre, with Judge Dee as the protagonist. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrat...

Authentic 18th-century Chinese detective novels. Dee and associates solve 3 interlocked cases: The Case of the Double Murder at Dawn, The Case of the Strange Corpse, and The Case of the Poisoned Bride. 9 illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:18 -0400)

Judge Dee was a real magistrate in the T'ang dynasty in China, and this group of stories was written down in the 18th century about his exploits, based on actual events.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,073,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible