The Lost Painting: The Quest for a Caravaggio Masterpiece (2005)

by Jonathan Harr

A decaying palazzo on a hilltop near the Adriatic coast, and in the basement, cobwebbed and dusty, an archive unknown to scholars. Here, a young graduate student from Rome makes a discovery that inspires a search for a painting lost for almost two centuries. The artist was Caravaggio, a revolutionary painter beset by personal demons. Four hundred years ago, he drank and brawled in the taverns and streets of Rome, in and out of jail, all the while painting transcendent works. He rose from obscurity to fame and wealth, but success didn't alter his violent temperament. He died young, alone, and under strange circumstances. Caravaggio scholars estimate that between sixty and eighty of his works are in existence today. Many others--no one knows the precise number--have been lost to time. Somewhere, surely, a masterpiece lies forgotten. This quest is a synthesis of history and detective story.--From publisher description.… (more)
    Headlong by Michael Frayn (wandering_star)
    Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox by Victoria Finlay (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both fall into the category of "art history that's accessible to readers that know next-to-nothing about art history."

This writer was fortunate to find an attractive subject to write about. It boils down to the discovery of the mis-attribution of a tremendously valuable painting for three hundred years. But lordy, the writing itself is not very interesting. Dan Brown blurbed it, so I can't say I wasn't warned. I found this a good bedtime book: much of the action occurs in Italy, Caravaggio painting traced by art historians, rediscovered by art restorer, little suspense. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
I so enjoyed "A Civil Action" by Jonathan Harr and Caravaggio is possibly my favorite artist so I was very much looking forward to reading this. I found it interesting and enjoyed meeting most of the people in it. Mr. Harr does a great job of writing fictional non-fiction if you will. I'm not sure if all of the dialog he writes definitely happened the way he writes it, but he makes the story move like a piece of fiction. However, I found the overall arc of the book a little disappointing. Most of what happened appeared to be mostly coincidental in terms of timing and I wasn't sure why we spent so much time with one group of people only to have them not be vital to the finding of the "lost painting." An enjoyable read though. ( )
  MarkMad | Jul 14, 2021 |
Great story. ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
Even though this book is based on a real story of the discovery of one of the lost Carravagio paintings (and should therefore be classified as non-fiction) Harr's narrative style makes the story read much more like a fictitious account of a discovery that hasn't yet been made. The search for scholars, the tricky restoration, and the miraculous outcome make for a tale which perfectly fits within tv series like Museum Secrets (or Mysteries of the Archives as we like to call it), and reaches the public on a level that scholasticism usually cannot. This type of historical research, which leads to discoveries of cultures past and lost objects, is partially what makes me want to work in this industry, because it is clear that with curation efforts we can keep the past alive and discover more about the origins and development of humanity. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Boring - I was expecting more. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |

Jonathan Harrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saltzman, AllisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Jack
The Englishman moves in a slow but deliberate shuffle, knees slightly bent and feet splayed, as he crosses the piazza, heading in the direction of a restaurant named Da Fortunato.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,998,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible