Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

Tipping the Velvet (1998)

by Sarah Waters

4,2061271,704 (3.99)436
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (zembla)
    zembla: A lush, atmospheric Victorian love story between two young women.
    Affinity by Sarah Waters (Booksloth)
    Middlesex: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides (_debbie_)
    _debbie_: Both are (at least partially) historical novels with strong themes of identity, coming of age, and going against the mainstream to stay true to what you feel is right. Although one is set in Victorian England and the other isn't, they both have that same feel of rich language and descriptive place.… (more)
    Moll Cutpurse, Her True History by Ellen Galford (CurrerBell)
    Ladies and Gentlemen: A Play by Emma Donoghue (amanda4242)
    Passing Strange by Ellen Klages (amanda4242)
    The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (Anonymous user)
    The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee (Anonymous user)

English (119)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (127)
I loved the progression of this story! I knew nothing about it going into it. Totally fabulous. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Wow, that was not what I expected! This book had three very distinct parts. I was immediately sucked into the world of Part 1, then, well...here was my general reaction:
Part 1: Oo, intriguing! Yes, I love this writing. Ohohohh, music halls, romance!
Part 2: What...Nancy, what are you doing, honey? Um...okay. Wow. Well, this took an interesting turn.
Part 3: Ah-HA! This is taking yet another turn! Where's this all going to end up?

Where it ended up, I was pleased to find, was an ending that managed to weave the three disparate parts together. Not seamlessly, mind you, but in a satisfying way. I'm eager to read more of Sarah Waters' stuff- I've heard that this, her first novel, isn't her strongest work, but the writing and the believable Victorian setting had me hooked. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
Debut novel by author Sarah Waters is a coming of age, LGBTQ book and while not as good as her book Fingersmith probably deserves it place in 1001 books you must read before you die because of its contribution to the novel in the aspect of LGBTQ. That being said, the book, self described by author as a Lesbian romp is “too much information” for me. I don’t need or want this much sexual detail in my reading but if you like that, this book will give you a lot of detail. The story is set in the late 1800s in London and features such things as the oyster industry, theatre, socialism/early feminism. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 9, 2018 |
I read Fingersmith a few months ago, added it to a list of my favorite novels, and vowed to read more by Sarah Waters. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Tipping the Velvet should be called The Lesbian Adventures of Nancy Astley. Nancy Astley, our heroine, is a flat character who manages to experience just about every flavor of Victorian Lesbianism. She drifts from adventure to adventure with little motivation or contemplation. The only redeeming feature of this novel is the steamy lesbian sex, but those beautifully constructed scenes are few and far between. I'm not very impressed with this book and I would only recommend it to fans of lesbian literature. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I really enjoyed Waters' The Paying Guests, which had mystery and suspense wrapped up in the romance. This novel does not, it's a romance. A historical romance, so there are some great scenes and descriptions of 1890s London, and the entire thing is very well written. But romance is one of my least favorite genres. The good writing and historical scenes got me through and gets this novel 3 stars, but that's all. ( )
  Dreesie | Jul 7, 2018 |

Lyngstad, KariOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maters, TillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zetterström, GunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Have you ever tasted a Whitstable oyster?
"Dreams," I said. He snapped his fingers. "The very stuff that stages are made of."
"In short, Nance, even was you going to the very devil himself, your mother and I would rather see you fly from us in joy, than stay with us in sorrow - and grow, maybe, to hate us, for keeping you from your fate."
Please do not combine Tipping the Velvet the novel with Tipping the Velvet the DVD.
Piercing the shadows of the naked stage was a single shaft of rosy limelight, and in the centre of this was a girl: the most marvellous girl - I knew it at once! - that I had ever seen. A saucy, sensuous and multi-layered historical romance, Tipping the Velvet follows the glittering career of Nan King - oyster girl turned music-hall star turned rent boy turned East End 'tom'.

Nancy Astley, a fishmonger in Whitstable, becomes smitten by male impersonator Kitty Butler and attends shows until the star notices her, which leads to the two becoming partners in romance and performance until societal pressures drive the two into situations that embrace the ambiguity of sexual preference and gender roles.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,065,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible