We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families:… (1998)

by Philip Gourevitch

In April of 1994, the government of Rwanda called on everyone in the Hutu majority to kill everyone in the Tutsi minority. Over the next three months, 800,000 Tutsis were murdered in the most unambiguous case of genocide since Hitler's war against the Jews. Philip Gourevitch's haunting work is an anatomy of the killings in Rwanda, a vivid history of the genocide's background, and an unforgettable account of what it means to survive in its aftermath.… (more)

English (61)  German (1)  All languages (62)
Holy critter. I started this book knowing the Rwandan genocide was basically composed of Hutus killing Tutsis in the mid-1990s, and ended it with a radically transformed mindset toward so many institutions and people and ideas. Chief among them is the UN and the international community as a whole, who are perhaps the most responsible, I think, for ignoring the genocide and facilitating the massacres that followed it.

The book itself was easy to read, surprisingly, since it dealt with some of the most unfathomable human situations to have transpired in recent history. My only problem with Gourevitch is that he never really got to the red-hot human center of the Rwandan genocide: How were so many of the Hutus so completely inhuman? How could they have done what they did? It's true that he explains the history leading up to the genocide, but he never really investigates the thought processes that guided the Hutus in their rampage. Because of that, I felt like he cheated us out of a 100% complete understanding of the conflict.

Overall, however, this book was one of the most illuminating I have ever read. ( )
  Gadi_Cohen | Sep 22, 2021 |
Incredible writing, incredibly important, yet extremely emotionally taxing. ( )
  echinops | Aug 18, 2021 |
Like many others, I was interested to learn more about the genocide in Rwanda, and thought this highly rated book would be a good source. In my opinion, it failed to explain the genesis of the deep seated hatred by the Hutu tribe of the Tutsi tribe, and was extremely dry/dull. There was little connection with the characters: it felt like a textbook.

I thought The Girl Who Smiled Beads was much better. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families (Bestselling Backlist) by Philip Gourevitch (1999) ( )
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
A very difficult topic that was researched and investigated very thoroughly. The situation in Rwanda and the lack of international intervention is shameful. I found this book hard to read but was glad for the insight and the various points of view that the journalist shared. Well worth the read if you are attempting to learn about this awful period of time in Rwanda history. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | May 24, 2021 |

Philip Gourevitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delamare, PhilippeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my parents
Decimation means the killing of every tenth person in a population, and in the spring and early summer of 1994 a program of massacres decimated the Republic of Rwanda.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,561,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible