Everything Is Illuminated (2002)

by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jonathan is a Jewish college student searching Europe for the one person he believes can explain his roots. Alex, a lover of all things American and unsurpassed butcher of the English language, is his lovable Ukrainian guide. On their quixotic quest, the two young men look for Augustine, a woman who might have saved Jonathan's grandfather from the Nazis. As past and present merge, hysterically funny moments collide with episodes of great tragedy -- and an unforgettable story of one family's extraordinary history unfolds.… (more)
Recently added byVeraBaron, Rennie80, private library, Terryanne, bacyc81, Dreyfusard

English (233)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (250)
Well there are good bits. The Alex voice at the beginning made it hard to read for me. Not very convincing, only funny in bits. I enjoyed some of the mythical cyclical shtetl. It really can be whatever we want it to be since it is so obliterated. But there was too much of everything without enough justification. The author as character, why? ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
I had to put this book down. I've read and enjoyed Foer's other books, but this one did nothing for me. ( )
  wagnerkim | Jul 21, 2021 |
I really wanted to like this book and sometimes it would let me for a little bit. But just when I would start to feel emotionally involved with the characters and situations Foer would ramp up the drama so high and so quickly that I would roll my eyes, check out again, and hope for more from the next part. I do think that the author has a real talent for tragedy (but really none for comedy) and I would like to see him tackle pain on a smaller, more intimate stage instead of going right for something monstrous and huge like the Holocaust. However since his next book was about 9/11 I guess I'll have to wait longer to read the emotionally devastating book about some random, unimportant family drama that he would really excel at writing. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I did not care for this book I gave it two shots, once reading it and once listening to it and I could not get into it. I did not like the voice of the ESL narrator - Alex. ( )
  MAR67 | May 5, 2021 |
This was hard to hear because the subject matter is painful. The narrators were excellent.

The movie was about half of the book. There is the sotry of the journey of Alex, his grandfather and Jonathon. (This is the movie) and there is the novel that Jonathon is writing. The book switches back and forth between them. This is not my favorite literary technique.

Eventually, it does work for this. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |

Shina, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simply and impossibly:
FOR MY FAMILY
My legal name is Alexander Perchov.
One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be family.
The only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad.
What is wrong with you?
Nothing, I just don't eat meat!
Grandfather informs me that is not possible.
With writing, we have second chances.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141008253, 0141037326

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,196,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible