Washington Square (1880)

by Henry James

"When timid and plain Catherine Sloper acquires a dashing and determined suitor, her father, convinced that the young man is nothing more than a fortune-hunter, decides to put a stop to their romance. Torn between a desire to win her father's approval and passion for the first man who has ever declared his love for her, Catherine faces an agonizing choice, and eventually becomes all too aware of the restrictions that others seek to place on her freedom. James's novel interweaves the public and private faces of nineteenth-century New York society, and is also a study of innocence destroyed."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
    Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Similar stories of daughters oppressed by overbearing fathers, and what happens when a young suitor enters their lives ...
    The Heiress [1949 film] by William Wyler (TheLittlePhrase)
    Passion by Igino Ugo Tarchetti (Litrvixen)
    The Aspern Papers by Henry James (alalba)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (zasmine)
    zasmine: Very well defined characters here too
    The Heiress by Ruth Goetz (TheLittlePhrase)
    TheLittlePhrase: the heiress is based on washington square

English (77)  Spanish (3)  Japanese (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (83)
I wont deny that Washington Square is a great literary work,but I dont like the book because of its message.

Plain and ordinary women can never find true love (unless if theyre heiresses then they can buy love)

I know, I know its set in the 1850s and they had different way of seeing things back then.

But I still cant like it.
  Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
Sappy AF. I lived on Washington Sq in the early 90s, so I thought I'd find the setting engaging, but it's almost beside the point. ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I saw Oliva de Haviland's Catherine first. And her fantastic performance has tinted every other telling of the story for me. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
This is the first Henry James work I've read, a good introduction, and I am glad I have seen it. The text is clearly written, very cinematic in the way it describes each characters thoughts and words, but written in the nineteenth- century American sort of what now seems over-formal and stilted style. I've read more from his brother William James, the philosopher, and see how they are both talented writers. The first sentence of chapter one is 55 words long, but still clear. The work was written as a serial, published in parts in a magazine, but doesn't have the feel that it was paid for by the word, maybe since James already had money and could write for himself without worrying about income.
The story is well told. I care for the characters.
This kindle edition (Cambridge World Classics) is 99 cents, does have some critical contents, which are not at all curent, which explains the low price. There is no x-ray feature and there are location numbers in place of page numbers. But I can search the book and use the kindle dictionary, making it a useful read. ( )
  mykl-s | Sep 6, 2021 |
What can you say about Henry James? I found this to be the most accessible of his novels that I've read. But like Portrait of a Lady, I came to despise many of the characters and to wish that others would catch the clue bus. The sense of slow, inexorable, relentlessly impending doom was both compelling and frustrating, as it was in Portrait of a Lady. You want to shake James's protagonists or slap them silly or yell at them "Don't fall for that S.O.B.!" the same way that you want to yell "Don't go in the basement!" to the clueless victim in a horror film. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |

Poole, AdrianEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Doren, MarkIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
During a portion of the first half of the present century, and more particularly during the latter part of it, there flourished and practised in the city of New York a physician who enjoyed perhaps an exceptional share of the consideration which, in the United States, has always been bestowed upon distinguished members of the medical profession.
The years have passed very quietly.
She liked to wait, it intensified the situation.
This is the main work for Washington Square by Henry James. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Conflict relationships. The heroine's naivete against the heartless ambition and hypocrisy of her suitor and the ruthlessness of her father. He is wise and knows what her suitor is after but his way of dealing with his daughter is heartless.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441364, 0141194979, 0141389494

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175838, 1909175846

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,592,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible