A Painted House (2001)

by John Grisham

"The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It could be a 'good crop'." Thus begins from author John Grisham, a story inspired by his own childhood in rural Arkansas. The narrator is a farm boy named Luke Chandler, age seven, who lives in the cotton fields with his parents and grandparents in a little house that's never been painted. The Chandlers farm eighty acres that they rent, not own, and when the cotton is ready they hire a truckload of Mexicans and a family from the Ozarks to help harvest it. For six weeks they pick cotton, battling the heat, the rain, the fatigue, and, sometimes, each other. As the weeks pass Luke sees and hears things no seven-year-old could possibly be prepared for, and finds himself keeping secrets that not only threaten the crop but will change the lives of the Chandlers forever. This is a moving story of one boy's journey from innocence to experience.… (more)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (infiniteletters)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (dara85)
    dara85: Coming of age, takes place in the past, child narrator
    Plainsong by Kent Haruf (alzo)
    Wish You Well by David Baldacci (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Again , coming of age novel :)
    How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Coming of Age

English (101)  Dutch (3)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
Remember that thing I said about Koontz? Yeah, same goes for this book by Grisham.

The following might have hated it, but this was a work of art. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
arkansas cotton farmer, hired help, unpainted house, hard times. ( )
  sherribrari | Oct 2, 2021 |
Interesting and unique book by John Grisham. Totally different from anything else I have read by him. ( )
  soosthemoose | Jul 3, 2021 |
"The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It could be a "good crop."
Thus begins the new novel from John Grisham, a story inspired by his own childhood in rural Arkansas. The narrator is a farm boy named Luke Chandler, age seven, who lives in the cotton fields with his parents and grandparents in a little house that's never been painted. The Chandlers farm eighty acres that they rent, not own, and when the cotton is ready they hire a truckload of Mexicans and a family from the Ozarks to help harvest it. ( )
  jepeters333 | Feb 1, 2021 |
Not a book I would have picked up had it not been written by John Grisham. I thoroughly enjoyed it! ( )
  MustangGuy | Oct 17, 2019 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berthon, PatrickTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Weez and Big John,
with love and admiration
The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,022,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible