Tender: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch

by Nigel Slater

Series: Tender (1)

"A comprehensive, deeply personal, and visually stunning guide to growing and cooking vegetables from Britain's foremost food writer, with more than 400 recipes and extensive gardening notes. In the tradition of Roast Chicken and Other Stories comes Tender, a passionate guide to savoring the best the garden has to offer. an instant classic when it was first published in the UK, Tender is a cookbook, a primer on produce, and above all, a beloved author's homage to his favorite vegetables. Slater's inspired and inspiring writing makes this a book to sit with and savor as much as one to prop open in the kitchen. The chapters explore 29 vegetables and offer enticing, comforting recipes such as Potato Cakes with Chard and Taleggio, a Tart of asparagus and Tarragon, and Grilled Lamb with Eggplant and Za'atar. With wit, enthusiasm, and a charming lack of pretension, Slater champions vegetables--through hands-on nurturing in the garden and straightforward preparations in the kitchen--with this truly essential book for every kitchen library"--… (more)

English (4)  German (1)  All languages (5)
Here we have many traditional favourite dishes given Slater's special touches. Chapters are arranged alphabetically by vegetable and include information about growing as well as cooking. His writing is pure poetry, like this entry about cabbage:

"The dead of winter, all is silent, the world hushed by a thick covering of snow. The point in the year when strident flavours are needed: game birds, smoked bacon and dank mushrooms that have waited patiently in the fridge... The cabbage family is suddenly allowed back into the kitchen. Each dark-green leaf somehow seems as if it will fend off our winter ills. Elephant ears of crinkled green, sparkling with dew; tight buds of young sprouts; black plumes of cavolo nero like the feathers on a funeral horse, and the dense, ice-crisp flesh of red cabbage. Strong flavours indeed."

Slater's book was informative, a very enjoyable read and all the recipes I've tried so far have been excellent. What more can a cook ask for? This one gets five stars! ( )
1 vote VivienneR | May 29, 2016 |
This book is a gorgeous and comprehensive review of twenty-nine vegetables that can be grown in a small space. It appeals to my gardener / cook's heart, and I am so glad that I bought the hardcover edition.

My husband/cook was happy to try out the Hungary-inspired Stew recipe, and when he did we were highly entertained by these directions:

“Bring everything to an enthusiastic simmer . . . “ and

“Bake, unpestered, for a good hour and a half.”

I can't wait to spring another recipe on him, and am only frustrated because I can't figure out how to chose which veggie to read about next. That, and I am not sure why Slater wasted his time on brussel sprouts.
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Lovely in tone, a bit vast in scope. Not for the vegetarian, what with the "better cooked with duck drippings" tone of many recipes. But, but, but . . . for a person who looks to add inspiration to eating locally, seasonally, and with meat playing a supporting role in most meals, you can do far, far worse than Nigel Slater. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
When I look at a cookbook for the first time, I do so with sticky notes in hand to mark recipes I’d like to try. I’ve never marked so many pages as I did the first time I opened Nigel Slater’s Tender: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch. Slater is a celebrated food writer in England, but relatively unknown here. He specializes in fresh, comforting, simple fare: while this is a book about vegetables, he doesn’t shy away from cheese, fats and carbs. He is not vegetarian, but his hearty vegetable-based recipes appeal to herbivores and omnivores alike.

Tender is arranged by vegetable, taking inspiration from Slater’s enviably abundant garden. Each vegetable’s chapter is prefaced with an essay on its cultivation in the garden and its uses in the kitchen; Slater is such a charming writer that I was moved to read the book from cover to cover, more like a book of short stories than a cookbook. His evident love for plants and food alike make Tender a must-read, and the incredible food photography throughout makes it a mouthwatering treat even if you never cook a recipe from its pages (though of course you will). ( )
1 vote circumspice | Mar 27, 2012 |

Nigel Slaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lovekin, JonathanPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,958,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible