If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon…

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things

by Jon McGregor

1,149None7,067 (3.87)34

What an unusual, and wonderful, book! This book is a tapestry of a day in the life of a neighborhood, a day seen from many perspectives, with the richness of humanity played out in numerous vignettes - a day rushing towards an indelible, unanticipated climax. The story centers around two of the young adults in the neighborhood, and weaves between the story of that day, and the story of the girl's life three years later.

You don't need to diagram the neighborhood and keep a scorecard of the neighbors, although initially it seems inevitable. Before long they will all have their unique characteristics and backstories, and you won't have a problem telling who's who. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 31, 2014 |
I really liked this. It took me a while to get used to the writing style, but about a third of the way through I was hooked. It was beautifully written and one that I would love to read again. I loved the way the book forced me to examine my own life and outlook, and I found reading this an almost cathartic experience. A very powerful book, yet simply written. ( )
  shirleybell | Sep 26, 2013 |
If nobody speaks of remarkable things then remarkable things like birds taking flight without collision will be missed and not spoken of. Other remarkable things like a girl standing on one leg, or trying to catch angels, or someone bunging jumping from a crane in a city will also be missed. This poetic book details everyday pictures of a neighbourhood that are remarkable in their description. The uncovering of the plot is slow - but overall a really satisfying read. ( )
  CarterPJ | Aug 11, 2013 |
I also picked it up because I was intrigued by its title. But what is described are the most appalingly mundane and least remarkable things I have ever read. Maybe that's precisely the point. But, if so, without any conclusion or message, it is just a shallow exercise. Extremely slow and dull. I hated it. ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Aug 8, 2013 |
McGregor has the sensibility and sensitivity of Virginia Woolf. Beautifully written. ( )
  fountainoverflows | Jul 18, 2011 |
To Alice
If you listen, you can hear it.

'This novel owes as much to poetry as it does to prose. Its opening, an invocation of the life of the city, is strongly reminiscent of Auden's Night Mail in its hypnotic portrait of industrialised society...An assured debut' Erica Wagner, The Times. On a street in a town in the North of England, ordinary people are going through the motions of their everyday existence - street cricket, barbecues, painting windows...A young man is in love with a neighbour who does not even know his name. An old couple make their way up to the nearby bus stop. But then a terrible event shatters the quiet of the early summer evening. That this remarkable and horrific event is only poignant to those who saw it, not even meriting a mention on the local news, means that those who witness it will be altered for ever. Jon McGregor's first novel brilliantly evokes the histories and lives of the people in the street to build up an unforgettable human panorama. Breathtakingly original, humane and moving, IF NOBODY SPEAKS OF REMARKABLE THINGS is an astonishing debut. 'The work of a burning new talent ...Jon MacGregor writes like a lyrical angel' Daily Mail

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:56 -0400)

On a street in a town in the North of England, perfectly ordinary people are doing totally normal things. But a terrible event shatters the quiet of the summer evening and no one who witnesses it will ever be the same again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible