St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves: Stories (2006)

by Karen Russell

In these ten stories, Karen Russell takes us to the ghostly and magical swamps of the Florida Everglades. Here wolflike girls are reformed by nuns, a family makes their living wrestling alligators in a theme park, and little girls sail away on crab shells.

This series of short stories made absolutely no sense to me. The individual stories were okay, but I didn't vibe with it at all. I just kept waiting for it to get better, or at least make sense. I am so disappointed. ( )
  ViragoReads | Sep 30, 2022 |
a pack of girls raised by wolves are painstakingly reeducated by nuns.

Because it sounds awesome. Pity its a short story collection.

The Goodnatured-Wolves
  Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
While I want to give this book a glowing review for the inventiveness of the stories and my unending enjoyment of them, I was often pulled out of the stories by a disturbing undercurrent of animal abuse. With the exception of the title story, I think every story contained some reference to the mistreatment of animals--from sea turtle hatchlings being bagged up for nefarious purposes to orangutans being kept in a slovenly, cold, exclusively indoor habitat. The worlds Ms.Russell crafted are truly fascinating and a little bit of sadness and cruelty are expected in a literary work, but there were no happy endings in sight for the animal victims of these stories and that fact detracted mightily from my enjoyment of her work. ( )
1 vote hlkate | Oct 12, 2020 |
Loved it! Karen Russell really has an uncanny ability to capture the voice of teenage boys. I love that she's not afraid to have fun with literary fiction --- not something we always see! I can't wait to read her next book. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
Narrated by strange, quiet children and nestled deep in the mystique of the Everglades, Karen Russell’s stories are unnerving, darkly funny, and immensely enjoyable. Their standard recipe takes a common coming-of-age theme—“my parents are lunatics,” “death is part of life,” “growing up is hard”—folds it into a surreal situation—“my dad is a Minotaur,” “I am trapped in a giant conch shell with a janitor,” “my 14 sisters and I were raised by werewolves and now nuns are trying to prepare us for life in polite society”—and tops it off with superb, efficient sentences.

Karen Russellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom, Dad, Lauren, and Kent

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,999,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible