Libra by Don DeLillo

Libra (1988)

by Don DeLillo

On the Trail of the Assassins by Jim Garrison (daveowen78)
    daveowen78: A bit nutty and certainly from the conspiracy theory end of the spectrum. I am not sure how credible the author is. Never the less very interesting, and indeed fairly frightening if there is even a shred of truth to this government cover up take on the JFK assassination.… (more)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (32)
Libra by Don DeLillo is a 1988 book. Don Delillo is a post modernist author. This is his 9th book. Libra is a retelling of the assasination of JFK by Lee Harvey Oswald.. This book will make you believe the conspiracy theories. Not sure of my rating yet. The story is the life of Oswald from childhood as a bullied, disadvantaged youth with dyslexia. The assasination, dreamed up after the Bay of Pigs to promote anti Cuban opinion and push America back into conflict with Cuba was dreamed up by disgruntled CIA agents was meant to fail. This book has a lot of espionage in it. It also has a parrallel story of the man who has been assigned to review all the data that has been collected about the assasination and write the history of the assasination ( )
  Kristelh | Aug 11, 2018 |
Really fantastic book. It took me a while to get into, what with all the characters and the jumps through time and geographical place. But after about 150 pages, it was all clicking and FUCK, I went back to read a lot of the beginning because I was loving so much of the middle. Great book. 4.5/5 if I could. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Fascinating book about Lee Harvey Oswald. This is my first experience with DeLillo's writing, which I found to be fresh and original. The use of dialog is especially compelling - the way he gets inside the characters' heads is sort of magical. It's clearly a work of fiction (as the author's note explains, although to me it's obvious), but it gets at some truth about the nature of the main characters. This one will stay with me. ( )
  meredk | Apr 22, 2017 |
I'm rating this novel with 4 stars, in spite of the fact that I didn't really enjoy reading it very much. This is a fictional account of events leading up to and including the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas, on November 22, 1963. If you didn't live through that time, or if you only know the barest outline of what happened and who was involved, this could be an outstanding literary adventure for you. I appreciated it, without loving it, and I believe that is almost entirely due to the fact that I was once so completely immersed in reading about the Kennedy assassination that I simply cannot distance myself from the history and let the fiction carry me away. This is post-modern stuff, and I soon realized that DeLillo was doing something quite remarkable with his multiple characters and points of view. I think the novel is a masterpiece of imagination, as DeLillo put himself (and me, very often) directly and brilliantly into the heads of Lee Harvey Oswald, his mother, his wife, and many of his associates. He made it clear in an author's note that he "made no attempt to furnish factual answers to any questions raised by the assassination". And by changing the perspective from one character to another throughout, DeLillo also made it difficult to come to any conclusions about what "really" was happening. Any given character only knew--or told-- part of the story, and many of them were thoroughly unreliable narrators. Nevertheless, it's hard not to come away from Libra with a strong impression that in this version of events, Oswald himself didn't believe he fired the shot that killed Kennedy. It's fascinating stuff, but it didn't need fictionalization for me to find it so. Having said that, though, I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't have read this unquestionably fine piece of work without knowing a blessed thing about the historical events it is based on. I'm pretty sure I would have loved it in that case.
Review written December 2016 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jan 1, 2017 |
Mi sono annoiata incredibilmente. Forse sono l'unica a dare un giudizio del genere, ma che ci posso fare? ( )
  cloentrelibros | Aug 23, 2016 |
To the boys at 607: Tony, Dick and Ron
This was the year he rode the subway to the ends of the city, two hundred miles of track.

In this powerful, eerily convincing fictional speculation on the assassination of John F. Kennedy, Don DeLillo chronicles Lee Harvey Oswald's odyssey from troubled teenager to a man of precarious stability who imagines himself an agent of history. When "history" presents itself in the form of two disgruntled CIA operatives who decide that an unsuccessful attempt on the life of the president will galvanize the nation against communism, the scales are irrevocably tipped.

A gripping, masterful blend of fact and fiction, alive with meticulously portrayed characters both real and created, Libra is a grave, haunting, and brilliant examination of an event that has become an indelible part of the American psyche.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:20 -0400)

The scheme of two disgruntled CIA agents to stage an unsuccessful attempt on the life of President Kennedy and link it to Cuba backfires when the erratic Lee Harvey Oswald goes too far.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141188227, 0141041994

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,953,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible