A History of the Habsburg Empire, 1526-1918…

A History of the Habsburg Empire, 1526-1918 (1974)

by Robert A. Kann

A political, cultural, and socioeconomic history of the Habsburg empire, discussing the rise of Habsburg power, its subsequent status and action as a great power, and its dissolution.

excellent source material difficult read due to spotty translation from German to English. ( )
  dread0 | Dec 22, 2008 |
I agree that the prose is hardly scintillating, but Kann is thorough. Also, I appreciate the fact that he surveys the history and culture of all the nations in the Empire. In my (informal) study of Central Europe, I have found this book to be extremely useful, if not indispensable, and I continue to refer to it. But it's not good bedtime reading, unless you need a soporific. ( )
1 vote rolig | Aug 28, 2007 |
Imagine, if you will, the most boring thing you can think of. Now picture the most boring person you know.

Imagine that person talking about that thing for well on 700 pages. ( )
1 vote jcovington | May 21, 2007 |
Abysmally written and apparently not edited at all ("Not before the heights of the Enlightenment did the Habsburgs establish a scholarly 'Anschluss' to the western world"), but full of good meaty facts.
  languagehat | Dec 17, 2005 |
To Mady.
The permanent affiliation of the Habsburg dynasty, the ruling house in the German Alpine hereditary lands, with the lands of the Bohemian and Hungarian-Croatian crowns in 1526-1527 initiates the beginning of the history of these realms as an over-all political entity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,002,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible