HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Chickenhawk (1983)

by Robert Mason

A true, bestselling story from the battlefield that faithfully portrays the horror, the madness, and the trauma of the Vietnam War   More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason's astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death--the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger. "Very simply the best book so far about Vietnam." -St. Louis Post-Dispatch… (more)
    F.N.G. by Donald Bodey (sunking0426)
    sunking0426: another great account of life in war and fighting in Vietnam
    Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: A novel from the perspective of a US Marine Corps officer, written by a Vietnam vet. Though Matterhorn is nominally fiction, while Chickenhawk is memoir, it's hard, if not impossible, to tell which is which.

Spot on description of the war. ( )
  captc2000 | Aug 18, 2022 |
I reread Robert Mason's Chickenhawk. This memoir of Robert Mason's tone as a Huey pilot flying Slicks in Vietnam provides his personal perspective on what his service was.

You See Mason a Warrant Officer grow as a pilot ABC also see him cling to his sanity by will and tranquilizers.

Robert Mason tells you the good and the bad of his time in Vietnam and his growing disillusionment with the war as it was fought and portrayed.

One of the best personal accounts I have read. ( )
  dsha67 | Jul 6, 2021 |
Chickenhawk is Robert Mason's narrative of his experiences as a "Huey" UH-1 Iroquois helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War. The book chronicles his enlistment, flight training, deployment to and experiences in Vietnam, and his experiences after returning from the war.
tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger. ( )
  MasseyLibrary | Mar 10, 2019 |
I loved this book for the details of helicopter flying in Vietnam, especially tight landings and takeoffs. There are powerful moments of war, portrayed honestly and not as heroic fiction. The story is eminently readable, and decently written if not great. It is episodic and propelled forward, but is somewhat held back by the lack of character development; aside from the author, we don't get to know the other pilots well.

I feel like I have read too many other books close to this one—perhaps inspired by it—for this to get a five-star rating. ( )
  breic | Apr 6, 2018 |
Amazing book. ( )
  ikeman100 | May 11, 2017 |

Mason, RobertAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burrows, LarryCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L. J. GanserNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, NeilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I joined the army in 1964 to be a helicopter pilot.
"I got it." The IP took over the controls. The engine and rotor rpm went back to the green. We drifted down from fifteen feet to three, pointed away from the sun and back to the tree, and moved back to the spot where we had started. I felt totally defeated. "Well, it's true what they say about you all right, ace." "What's that sir?" You're a natural." "A natural? Sir I was all over the field." "Don't worry about it, kid. We'll just keep practicing in smaller and smaller fields."
Chickenhawk and Chickenhawk back in the world are different books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,941,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible