The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

The Night Watch (2006)

by Sarah Waters

3,8221411,991 (3.68)1 / 540
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (withwill)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (rstaedter)
    Fault Lines by Nancy Huston (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both employ reverse chronology to tell a story with its roots in WWII
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave (debbiereads)
    The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison (mrstreme)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: both have female protagonists and are about the London Blitz during WWII

English (132)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (140)
"Jon, this is about lesbians." Such was my stepmom's drawly voice on the phone one afternoon. I had bought The Little Stranger for her birthday a month before. I then read that novel and discovered it was rubbish or at least a muddled effort to be a class-conscious ghost story. I ran out the following day and bought her The Night Watch which I had read months before and liked considerably. I never thought that this single detail would elicit a literary discussion over the phone. This was in fact the closest to a literary conversation I have ever had with any of my family over the phone or otherwise. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
DNF ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
DNF ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
The book took me by surprise as I didn't know that Sarah Waters writes about lesbian fiction. But she was quite subtle, focusing more on relationships than eroticism. Waters is good at creating scenes, you can visualize the scene as it takes place. But in doing so, sometimes the dialogue gets too long. The book's plot is written backward so you get to find out the history of the main characters. Interesting but it leaves you wanting to know what happens to them. ( )
  siok | Oct 29, 2017 |
This woman can write!! I love Sarah's use of language - words flow elegantly and even when the story line is less exciting, I love her writing. Although Fingersmith was a far more engrossing story for me, once I got into the second section of this book, the story really took off. It takes place in 3 time periods, moving backwards from post WW2 London, to the midst of the war, and back to the Blitz - Moving backwards, we learn the intertwining stories of 5 characters, 4 women and a man, many of whom are gay.

This one started slowly and built speed as the relationships became more entwined, and the war was at its peak. I learned more from this book about what it was like for ordinary citizens, trying to carry on a normal life in the midst of chaos and trauma - the simplest moments like having a cup of tea together took on new meaning when the tea itself was nauseating and having a place to sit meant being covered in dust.

I plan to read all of Sarah Waters' books - She's that good. ( )
  njinthesun | Aug 24, 2017 |

Wilson, GabrieleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Сафронова, АлександраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Vaughan
So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you've become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped, and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord's door.
"But, isn't it funny -- we never seem to love the people we ought to."

The book under this ISBN is by Sergei Lukyanenko. Please do not combine it with the one by Sarah Waters.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159448905X, Hardcover)

Sarah Waters, whose works set in Victorian England have awards and acclaim and have reinvigorated the genres of both historical and lesbian fiction, returns with novel that marks a departure from nineteenth century and a spectacular leap forward in the career of this masterful storyteller.

Moving back through the 1940s, through air raids, blacked-out streets, illicit liasons, and sexual adventure, to end with its beginning in 1941, The Night Watch tells the story of Londoners: three women and a young man with a past-whose lives, and those of their friends and lovers, connect in ways that are surprising not always known to them. In wartime London, the women work-as ambulance drivers, ministry clerks, and building inspectors. There are feats of heroism, epic and quotidian, and tragedies both enormous and personal, but the emotional interiors of her characters that Waters captures with absolute and intimacy.

Waters describes with perfect knowingness the taut composure of a rescue worker in the aftermath of a bombing, the idle longing of a young woman her soldier lover, the peculiar thrill convict watching the sky ignite through the bars on his window, the hunger a woman stalking the streets for encounter, and the panic of another who sees her love affair coming end. At the same time, Waters is absolute control of a narrative that offers up subtle surprises and exquisite twists, even as it depicts the impact grand historical event on individual lives.

Tender, tragic, and beautifully poignant, The Night Watch is a towering achievement that confirms its author as "one of the best storytellers alive today" (Independent on Sunday).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:00 -0400)

A tale set in World War II finds a rescue worker struggling for composure after a bombing, a young woman longing for her soldier lover, and a convict who watches a battle through the bars of his window.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,159,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible