dismiss

The Night Watch (2006)

by Sarah Waters

3,9911452,095 (3.68)1 / 541
Former ambulance driver Kay lives life fast, wandering the war-torn streets and hunting for other women. Kind and clever Helen guards her secrets--and her lover--closely. Glamorous Viv remains utterly devoted, for better or worse, to the soldier she adores. And Duncan fights to make a new life for himself after spending time in prison. As these four people survive the devastation of war and the experience life's dizzying highs, their paths cross in ways none of them can forsee.… (more)
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (withwill)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (rstaedter)
    Fault Lines by Nancy Huston (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both employ reverse chronology to tell a story with its roots in WWII
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave (debbiereads)
    The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison (mrstreme)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: both have female protagonists and are about the London Blitz during WWII

English (137)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (145)
Yet another book of Waters' that I've loved. This is a little different to her other books, and not only in terms of the era. Time-wise, it goes backwards, and the character focus is broader than the first three novels.

Probably not my favourite, but still a very worth-while read. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This was my first novel by Waters, and it won’t be my last. Waters' writing immerses you into the time where the novel is set, her attention to detail draws you into the story in a way that only a skillful writer can. I loved the character development of this book, and I enjoyed reflecting upon how beautifully she wove four people’s lives together during WWII. ( )
  kristi_test_02 | Feb 14, 2020 |
  kristi_test_02 | Feb 14, 2020 |
Boring, totally unintertesting book. I tried to read it twice. There are too many characters, and none of the characters come to life. There is no plot. It doesn't even feel as if the book is set in the 1940s. ( )
  edwinbcn | Dec 23, 2019 |
I listened to this one on audiobook. This is one of Waters' less fanciful novels, set during and after WW2 in London. It moves backwards through 3 time periods, illuminating the connections and actions of the several characters and their personal disasters. At times I would smile or gasp while listening in the dark, her stories seem so real.
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Сафронова, АлександраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Lucy Vaughan
So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you've become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped, and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord's door.
"But, isn't it funny -- we never seem to love the people we ought to."

The book under this ISBN is by Sergei Lukyanenko. Please do not combine it with the one by Sarah Waters.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,001,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible