Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling

Luck in the Shadows (1996)

by Lynn Flewelling

Other authors: Virginia Norey (Map maker)

Series: Nightrunner (1)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: These books share a "Gentleman Thief" Theme and some of the schemes plotted reminded me of Seregil's antics.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (FallenEldar)
    FallenEldar: Book had a similar feel as well as a character that made me think of Seregil.
    Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks (FallenEldar)
    FallenEldar: A darker world than in Nightrunner following an assassin rather than a thief. Still has intrigue and double lives.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.
    Prisoner by Megan Derr (themephi)
    Scarlet and the White Wolf by Kirby Crow (Isan)
    A Strong and Sudden Thaw by R. W. Day (Isan)
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (pwaites)
    Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr (ligature)
    A Business of Ferrets by Beth Hilgartner (puddleshark)
    Brethren: Raised By Wolves, Volume One by W. A. Hoffman (infiniteletters)

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
I’d heard good things about this series, so thought I’d pick this up. It’s fairly standard fantasy fare – a young orphan falls in with a mentor who initiates him into an exciting world of thievery and spycraft, getting him involved with plots that stretch from seedy taverns to the highest levels of politics.
You may have heard (I did) this recommended for fans of gay fiction. If you’re looking for erotica, or even romance, look elsewhere, because there is no more than a flickering of sexual tension between the two leads.
The writing is fairly standard, and a bit clunky at times. (It’s a good thing our young protagonist, Alec, is pretty ignorant, so that his mentor, Seregil, can keep explaining things to him. Alec also suddenly develops expertise at various things without seemingly trying.) However, this was Flewelling’s first novel, so I’m not dismissing the story out of hand. The setting and characters were entertaining enough that I’ve actually already picked up the next two books.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
You don't get into this story slowly. There isn't an introduction. The very first scene is in the prison followed by Seregil and Alec's escape.
The blurb doesn't say much and the genre labels on Goodreads don't help either. None of it tells you how well this book is written.

After the escape, Seregil and Alec become partners in whatever Seregil is into. He is a lot of things: from a noble to a thief and anything you can think of in between. It is wonderful to see Alec's growth and the glimpses of a relationship these two will have.
It is a shame that some might read romance and skip this book. You only get a promise of a very deep connection between the two main characters. Nothing more. And I can hardly wait for it even though I enjoyed every moment of this book.

Part of the book is their journey south to Rhíminee. Nothing smooth about that. It is followed by a part in the city itself and that could be a bit overwhelming. Through Alec's education you learn a lot about the history of the world, the society and economy, religion and magic. And most of it has its place in the plot. The problem is that you find that out later. What didn't touch this plot was left for future stories. Again, a fact you realize only after you finish this story, so that might be an issue with some readers.

The characters are fleshed out really well. Each has their own distinct voice whether it is a servant, a thief, a member of the Scavenger Guild, a captain, a sailor or any other. Of course, the most prominent are Seregil and Alec, Nysander and Micum.

Some of Seregil and Alec's future troubles have already started in this book.

Anyway, even with a bit of telling, a couple of too convenient and easy escapes and only a promise of romance, this is still a great first book in a series. ( )
1 vote Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
I just finished Lies of Locke Lamora, and since this is another fantasy story about a thief and a thief's apprentice, it was hard for me not to compare the two while I was reading this. Locke Lamora is a better book, but Luck in the Shadows was still a great read.

I liked the slow education of Alec and the way it's used to reveal the bigger plot mysteries. As the first book in the series, I was disappointed that some of the more tantalizing questions were left unanswered, and that what appeared to be the main story at the beginning of the book was more-or-less abandoned in favor of something else once they reached the main setting. But the secondary story was ultimately more interesting, so I wasn't that upset.

I liked both Alec and Seregil a lot, both were well-rounded and interesting characters. All the characters were, really, but I enjoyed the main team immensely, both Alec's adeptness and willingness to try something completely new and Seregil's seeming delight at finding a partner-in-crime, something he hadn't expected he'd ever do.

The setting, magic, political situation, all of it was good stuff, and this really did just feel like a taste of things to come. Can't wait to read the next book in the series! ( )
  ConnieJo | Jan 10, 2016 |
I almost finished this book, but than it turned out to be a standard mediocre fantasy book. I just want to read really good books and this one just isn't good enough. Still, 3 stars, because it wasn't terrible. ( )
  lente | Dec 6, 2015 |
There is a lot to be said for a fantasy that has an m-m cast. There isn't many around (or more likely I haven't read many), and it was refreshingly lacking the typical hero cliché that usually accompanies such novels, and that would be a young girl at the cusp of adulthood with the classic first kiss complex.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy my fantasies and their heroes regardless the sex or age, but it seems that the subtle nuances of male attraction did the trick for this one. Not overly intense or sexual. The relationship developed completely naturally witch made it believable and relaxed.

The plot as such was one of the classic fantasy ideas – a small group of people, in this case two on their way to save the world by navigating treacherous waters of scheming royalty.

The world building was sound, and there was enough action, but I found that the only thing standing in my way of completely enjoying the work was the writing. It was as if you could identify the parts in witch the author was struggling and she had to come back and revise. Sometimes I would read a paragraph and have the feeling that it started in one direction but ended in another. It was every time that I stumbled on those paragraphs that they have taken away from the entire reading experience.

Pet peeves I guess.

All in all it was a good read. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
added by gsc55 | editRainbow Gold Reviews (Nov 4, 2014)

Lynn Flewellingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaMap makersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarez-Santullano, Manuel MataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grixa, SusiÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, RaymondNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for you, Doug, for all the best reasons. LBF.
Mouldering bone crumbled beneath their boots as Lord Mardus and Vargul Ashnazai lowered themselves into the tiny chamber beneath the earthen mound.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553575422, Mass Market Paperback)

"A new star is rising in the fantasy firmament...teems with magic and spine-chilling amounts of skullduggery."–Dave Duncan, author of The Great Game

When young Alec of Kerry is taken prisoner for a crime he didn’t commit, he is certain that his life is at an end. But one thing he never expected was his cellmate. Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhiminee is many things–none of them predictable. And when he offers to take on Alec as his apprentice, things may never be the same for either of them. Soon Alec is traveling roads he never knew existed, toward a war he never suspected was brewing. Before long he and Seregil are embroiled in a sinister plot that runs deeper than either can imagine, and that may cost them far more than their lives if they fail. But fortune is as unpredictable as Alec’s new mentor, and this time there just might be…Luck in the Shadows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:14 -0400)

Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhiminee is many things - none of them predictable. He takes on Alec as his apparentice, and soon Alec is traveling roads he never knew existed, toward a war he never suspected was brewing. Soon both of them are embroiled in a sinister plot that may cost them far more than their lives if they fail.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible