Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling

Luck in the Shadows (1996)

by Lynn Flewelling

Other authors: Virginia Norey (Map maker)

Series: Nightrunner (1)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: These books share a "Gentleman Thief" Theme and some of the schemes plotted reminded me of Seregil's antics.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (FallenEldar)
    FallenEldar: Book had a similar feel as well as a character that made me think of Seregil.
    Night Angel Trilogy (3-in-1) by Brent Weeks (FallenEldar)
    FallenEldar: A darker world than in Nightrunner following an assassin rather than a thief. Still has intrigue and double lives.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.
    Prisoner by Megan Derr (themephi)
    Scarlet and the White Wolf by Kirby Crow (Isan)
    A Strong and Sudden Thaw by R. W. Day (Isan)
    A Business of Ferrets by Beth Hilgartner (puddleshark)
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (pwaites)
    Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr (ligature)
    Brethren: Raised By Wolves, Volume One by W. A. Hoffman (infiniteletters)

English (43)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
I feel a tiny bad giving this just 3 stars but the book just wasn't as good as other fantasy books I've read. It's just a bit too boring and the plot not exactly original either: orphan boy gets to go on an adventure.

Now the only thing that this book does differently is that there is a possible gay relationship between the two main characters. It's kept very low-key though (as it should be) and definitely not prominent enough for romance book readers.

Since the actual plot isn't finished in the first book, I will read the second one as well. Despite my criticism I'm still invested enough in the story to want to read how it ends. ( )
  newcastlee | Dec 30, 2017 |
it felt very run of the mill D&D campaign at first, but the world grew up around it and pulled me in. I like that it's a complete story but doesn't solve EVERYTHING. I am definitely looking for the sequel.
  ansate | Dec 24, 2017 |
the author has some skill with story writing - however content was dark and gloomy - with lots of character issues that it appears are very unlikely to ever be resolved
not my style at all
wont read more by author ( )
  jason9292 | Dec 4, 2017 |
An enjoyable sci-fi novel. Like many in the genre, this one has a medieval ages type setting with a bit of magic thrown in. The story's main protagonist is Alec, a recently orphaned lad of 16 who has been arrested and tortured by a local land baron for being a suspected spy. A young man named Seregil is arrested soon after and thrown in the same cell. But Seregil has special talents and soon breaks out, taking Alec with him. Seregil is a thief, a spy, and much more, and he offers to make Alec his apprentice. Although there was a lot of background information that made my eyes glaze over sometimes, the storyline and the characters themselves more than made up for this. Alec in particular is an appealing character, being honest, loyal and brave. I'll look forward to reading more of their story. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
This felt like a strong beginning to a fantasy series. Despite its formulaic fantasy premise of random stranger is swept up in an epic quest for no forsseable reason, it seemed to work to some degree with this book.
I found that despite getting into the action literally right away, Flewelling was able to still have some great characterization throughout the novel. She had very solid and unique characters that I found myself drawn to and caring about. This isn't often easy in fantasy novels when there are generally so many characters coming and going within the pages.
I did find the two main protagonist's adventure to be a bit too easy for the most part. Despite getting into some harrowing ordeals, they always seem to luck out of it, or find their way pretty easy. By the end of the book I wasn't too worried about the whole life or death aspect, because I assumed they would luck out of it. Hopefully, with the following additions into the series, the situations aren't so easily escaped.
There was some great story building however, that is clearly meant to expand over multiple books, and it was written so that I am left wanting more! Flewelling is great at world building as well, and you can tell that a lot of depth and thought has gone into the world she has created, which always helps add to any fantasy novel or series.
Overall I enjoyed the book a lot and look forward to the next installments! ( )
1 vote Kiddboyblue | Jan 5, 2017 |
added by gsc55 | editRainbow Gold Reviews (Nov 4, 2014)

Lynn Flewellingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Norey, VirginiaMap makersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarez-Santullano, Manuel MataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grixa, SusiÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, RaymondNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for you, Doug, for all the best reasons. LBF.
Mouldering bone crumbled beneath their boots as Lord Mardus and Vargul Ashnazai lowered themselves into the tiny chamber beneath the earthen mound.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553575422, Mass Market Paperback)

"A new star is rising in the fantasy firmament...teems with magic and spine-chilling amounts of skullduggery."–Dave Duncan, author of The Great Game

When young Alec of Kerry is taken prisoner for a crime he didn’t commit, he is certain that his life is at an end. But one thing he never expected was his cellmate. Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhiminee is many things–none of them predictable. And when he offers to take on Alec as his apprentice, things may never be the same for either of them. Soon Alec is traveling roads he never knew existed, toward a war he never suspected was brewing. Before long he and Seregil are embroiled in a sinister plot that runs deeper than either can imagine, and that may cost them far more than their lives if they fail. But fortune is as unpredictable as Alec’s new mentor, and this time there just might be…Luck in the Shadows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:14 -0400)

When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him that apparently he's the last to know. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Leaving his unsympathetic aunt and uncle for Hogwarts, a wizarding school brimming with ghosts and enchantments, Harry stumbles upon a sinister adventure when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers which could be valuable, dangerous, or both. Ages 9+… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible