Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted (1)

7,622220446 (4.12)193
Recently added byamymyoung, private library, bbullard, neviche, SENSpence, DoxieLibrarian, rwilliab, sscarllet
    Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

I loved this book! It is definitely a page-turner! The plot was very interesting. Ella was born into a noble family. She immediately receives a visitor, a fairy, Lucinda. Lucinda grants her a “blessing”: she always has to be obedient. Now, it doesn’t matter if she is ordered to do something dangerous or not, she has to follow it. Although Ella got cursed with this “blessing,” everything was going great for her. But, then her mother passed away. At her mother's funeral, Ella just so happened to meet Kyrria's prince, Charmont. They have a simultaneous bond but shortly after, Ella is sent off to finish school with two selfish girls, Hattie and Olive. Next thing you know, they are her stepsisters! Towards the end of the book, Char asks Ella to marry him and she feels a lot of pressure to say yes. Char wants to marry her because he loves her but her stepfamily really wants her to marry him so they can get richer. But, she realizes that she can finally refuse an order! She refused the order, the spell got broken and because she was not forced into, she married Char. They then live happily ever after. As you can see, it is somewhat, a fairytale! I just so happen to love anything where love is involved ☺ There were absolutely no pictures in the book. I feel as if the message of the book is to go with your heart. So many people feel, “stuck” when it comes to certain situations but it is important to remember that we all create our own destiny! ( )
  molliewaugh | Nov 18, 2014 |
Summary: Ella at birth was cursed with being obedient. She has to do everything she is told to do. Her mother dies when Ella is still young and her father is to busy working and sends her to finishing school with her new step sisters. They figure out that she has to do everything that she is told and makes her their slave. Ella is determined to break the curse so she sets out to find the Lucinda, the person that cursed her.

Personal summary: as much as I wish that my own children had this curse I can see where it was not realistic. Ella is a strong minded girl who is determined to create her own fate and not live with a curse. Our children need to learn to determine their own future and not let others make the choices for them.

Extension Projects:
1. Have students create a story where they can think of a specific curse. Have the class vote on the winning story and create a play and present it.
  BethanyKisner | Nov 11, 2014 |
This book falls in the fantasy genre category and has been popular among young readers for many years. It tells the story of Ella who is very obedient and cannot disrespect her masters, She has to do whatever she is told and along the way finds out that she can revolt and does not need to always follow the strict rules. This is a good chapter book for an older age group. I would incorporate this into my classroom by doing activities with my students and asking them how they would feel if they were never allowed to do anything they wanted,
  Jclark5 | Nov 11, 2014 |
I liked the movie Ella Enchanted, but I liked the book much more. The book's descriptions of the characters, setting, and events. While reading I was able to visualize the story and see every detail in my head. Not only were the descriptions fantastic, but the moral of the story was just as good. Ella over comes her gift/curse and manages to ignore the demand of killing the Prince. Ella's story shows that good outweighs the evil, she has the will power to stand up for what is right even when the odds are fully stacked against her. The suspenseful story is another good way to get the children to learn doing what is right overtakes the popular requests. Students can see how Ella did not fall for peer pressure and neither should they. A well written book and good moral makes Ella Enchanted a must read. ( )
  amarcu4 | Oct 22, 2014 |
(5.1)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible