Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted (1)

Recently added byLokiAesir, davidgn, private library, mariahjhudec, slipd, brichert6, blueberry-tea, AKP1516
    Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

"It is helpful to know the proper way to behave, so one can decide whether or not to be proper.”

Ella of Frell is not your ordinary girl. On the day of her birth she was cursed(or as the fairy Lucinda would say, “gifted”) with obedience. Any and every command given to her she must follow. But Ella is a strong girl and she won't let her...unfortunate situation faze her.

In this unique take on Cinderella, Ella must find Lucinda and put an end to this silly curse—or she must let go of the one she truly loves.

I vaguely recall the first time reading this; I was maybe 10-years-old and found it while scouring the shelves at the library(my favorite place even at that age). Now, I've always been a sucker for fairy-tales and my mom said I should give the book a try. So I did.

I know that I liked it, but at that age I didn't keep track of the books I read, and it didn't leave a lasting impression. But then I picked it up again a few years later. Here's how the conversation with myself went as I fingered the worn pages of Ella Enchanted for the second time:

Hey! I've read this book before!

Wasn't this the one with the girl who wrote letters to that prince? Oh, and she was cursed?

Man, it was nothing like the movie.

I decided to give it another try. And that's how it became one of my all time favorite books. Just so you know—it's better than the movie.

This book is enchanting, I don't know how else to describe it! Ella, our heroine, is feisty and witty and endearing. Not to mention smart, brave, and funny. But she had her flaws and it was wonderful to see her adventures unfold on the page.

I've read this three times now—and I'll read it again. The end—that happily ever after—always leaves me satisfied and(dare I say something so cheesy?) warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Content: Very clean. Highly recommended.

Read more of my reviews at http://thescribblingsprite.blogspot.com/ ( )
1 vote ScribblingSprite | Aug 14, 2015 |
I loved this book! I was in the mood to read a good young adult book, and this is exactly what I was looking for. THe book is a twist on the classic Cinderella tale, which I always find interesting.

I instantly loved the Cinderella and Prince characters in the book, and I found the love story between them to be quite beautiful. It had a lot of the magic that I love about young adult books with the added magic of a fairy tale! What more could you ask for!

It's a super quick read and I enjoyed every minute of it! ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
My review contains some spoilers.

I read this book because a friend of mine promised it was nothing like the film. I'm very glad she convinced me. Ella Enchanted is a charming tale with just enough action and adventure to balance the gooey bits. Ella is one of the most well-developed and realistic female protagonists I have encountered in fiction. I especially love her linguistic prowess. While I thoroughly enjoyed the tale, I can't give it a higher rating because I felt the author did herself a disservice by coloring within the lines too often. Readers could have done without the Cinderella tropes and story line and the marriage of a fifteen year-old girl is unsettling. However, the reference to characters being non-white was definitely a positive attribute, although it would have been even better if Ella herself had been a PoC. I also praise Levine for her portrayal of the father as being the not-at-all storybook hero we expect. My biggest complaint, though... why the plot hole with the mother's death? Logistically she needed to die in order to advance the plot, but not letting readers know why she did not eat the unicorn hair in order to recover from her illness seems rather sloppy or, at least, needlessly vague. Overall, I intend to hand this book down to any young girls I may encounter who enjoy fantasy.

My younger brother was assigned this book in school and I can now understand why he didn't enjoy it. While the story itself is enjoyable, it would be hard for boys to understand the limitations and expectations of a young woman and it definitely would be hard for most young boys to identify with the patriarchal issues Ella faces. ( )
  hovercraftofeels | Jul 19, 2015 |
When I was younger I thought the 'gift' of obedience was so scary, yet cool at the same time. I loved the movie, and since it's been over ten years since I read the book last I might think about rereading it. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I keep remembering great YA novels I read a few years back... or maybe more than a few years. This one was maybe fifth grade? Loved it! ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,019,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible