Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted (1)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

This novel won the trophy Newbery Medal. Gail Levine writes about a girl named Ella who is cursed with obedience. This is tragic and potentially dangerous, Ella has no control over her actions. So, she sets off to find her fairy god mother to reverse the spell. On her journey she learns about herself, courage, kindness, true love with a handsome prince, and other learning experiences.
  mollybeaver | Dec 18, 2014 |
I've been meaning to read this for ages, but kept forgetting about it. It was about as good/bad as the movie. Not as slapstick, but character development was shoddy, and the "climax" was ridiculous. I can see why the movie changed the overall conflict. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 11, 2014 |
I really liked Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. This book was different then what I had expected but I think that came from watching the movie first. I liked this book because of its overall story. I feel like it’s unique. Ella is gifted obedience by a fairy who doesn't realize it’s actually a curse. I liked how throughout the story you encountered different situations that explained Ella’s curse. Like when her step-sister demanded her necklace. And with little things like “jump” and “go away.” It really made you feel sympathy for Ella throughout the book. Another reason I liked this book was the ending. It had the traditional “happily ever after” ending but in its own way. Ella comes off as a strong woman who gains independence at the end of this book. This isn’t usually the case for most fairy tales. Ella is able to break the curse of obedience in order to marry her love at the end. I feel the main idea for this book is to help you realize your own worth and abilities. When Ella is able to see that she needs control she is able to get it. It shows her ability to be strong and resilient. This book also shows how we each control our own fate. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Dec 8, 2014 |
About a girl who is set under a spell when she was little. Forced to live with evil stepsisters, ella lives her life having to do everything she is told. She has "the gift of obedience". A great novel that can be accompanied with a movie. Good for all class reading or comparing and contrasting
  Nicole129672 | Dec 3, 2014 |
I loved this book! It is definitely a page-turner! The plot was very interesting. Ella was born into a noble family. She immediately receives a visitor, a fairy, Lucinda. Lucinda grants her a “blessing”: she always has to be obedient. Now, it doesn’t matter if she is ordered to do something dangerous or not, she has to follow it. Although Ella got cursed with this “blessing,” everything was going great for her. But, then her mother passed away. At her mother's funeral, Ella just so happened to meet Kyrria's prince, Charmont. They have a simultaneous bond but shortly after, Ella is sent off to finish school with two selfish girls, Hattie and Olive. Next thing you know, they are her stepsisters! Towards the end of the book, Char asks Ella to marry him and she feels a lot of pressure to say yes. Char wants to marry her because he loves her but her stepfamily really wants her to marry him so they can get richer. But, she realizes that she can finally refuse an order! She refused the order, the spell got broken and because she was not forced into, she married Char. They then live happily ever after. As you can see, it is somewhat, a fairytale! I just so happen to love anything where love is involved ☺ There were absolutely no pictures in the book. I feel as if the message of the book is to go with your heart. So many people feel, “stuck” when it comes to certain situations but it is important to remember that we all create our own destiny! ( )
  molliewaugh | Nov 18, 2014 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,483,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible