Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted (1)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

Adding this review upon my umpteenth reread. I might go as far to say that I find this book just about perfect.

Such overwhelmingly likeable characters. I haven't found a match for Ella or Char yet. Both have such personality, and they're so fun to get to know, and you're rooting for them the whole time. The only thing I find so difficult, though I know it's impossible to have a good book without conflict, is that sometimes the things that happen to Ella (or that she must do, rather) feel truly agonizing.

But I love that this book has no violence and is squeaky clean. The romance is both as subtle and as well-developed as I could wish, and one of my favorites. I enjoy the world Levine has built here; I like her writing; I like Ella and Char's letters. Plus, wonderful themes, and a great retelling, too.

So, yes, I love this book. It's one of my all-time favorites, one I've reread many times and plan to reread many more times. This is one of those books I can jump into almost anytime. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
What a lovely book! Ella was such a cool character. I wish I had her spunk and her ability to learn languages. It was fun to read and just get engrossed in a fairy tale. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
Until I listened to this audiobook the only experience I had had with Ella Enchanted was the film from a few years ago. I was surprised to find Ella much younger then I expected and also to see how much it really was a Cinderella story. While I enjoyed both versions of the tale they definitely need to be taken separately.

I really enjoyed listening to the story although there were many times when I found the narrators voice a little bit too young sounding. I enjoyed listening to Char and Ella's romance develop and I enjoyed how it was turned into a Cinderella tale with a very strong main character. I also liked Mandy and was very glad to see Lucinda get her comeupance. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible