Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted (1)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

When I was younger I thought the 'gift' of obedience was so scary, yet cool at the same time. I loved the movie, and since it's been over ten years since I read the book last I might think about rereading it. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I keep remembering great YA novels I read a few years back... or maybe more than a few years. This one was maybe fifth grade? Loved it! ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
I read this book during the summer of my 17th year, just around the time me and reading starting our addictive relationship, me being the addictiee and books my, drug, you could say. This book really pulled back the curtain for me. Before that I didn't realize how much screen writer's and producer's change how a book would be translated to the big screen. To say the least, I was sadden and a little angry.

I really like this book, and am still a little shock as to how this book is nothing like it's movie, it has the little things like the "gift" I used that word lightly. But the bigs things like age, how she first met the prince i(It reminded me of Ever After) How her step mother casted a loved spell on her and made her marry an old man! What the hell, right! And how the Gift/Curse was broken.

In all, the writing was good, it was fun, and hit my feels with a baseball bat, leaving me with a ruptured heart of love and anger towards that bitch of a step mother.

I would advise anyone how has seen the movie to read this book. And have your minds blown! ( )
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It is the story of Cinderella with a lot more detail and personal connection leading up to the iconic ball. The story of Ella growing up is fun and light hearted. There are various languages used in the book to help students understand made up words can be used to convey a message. It is a great book to instill prediction all through out the book as well as imagination.

Having the students draw pictures for various scenes in the book would be a fun connection to the story. They could draw the Ogres, or the fairies or the forest or the castle. It gives them many opportunities to practice visualization.
  msmarymac | Jun 8, 2015 |
The chapter book, Ella Enchanted, is a version of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella, but with a twist. Ella had a spell put on her when she was a baby that made her only be able to say yes to people when instructed to do something. The big problem occurs when she falls in love with a prince and is worried she will be asked to kill him, so Ella has to deal with this issue and find a way to break the spell. Levine does a great job at pulling elements from the original fairy tale, but giving them a twist. For example, in the original Cinderella, she is obedient because she feels there is no other choice. In "Ella Enchanted", Ella is obedient like Cinderella, but it is only because she does not have any choice or power over it. I also enjoyed how the novel was written in the first person, it helped me visualize and feel who Ella was as a person. This was a very endearing, enchanting, and humorous book that I would recommend to many. I believe that the overall message of this novel is that it is important to follow your heart when put into times of hardship. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | May 4, 2015 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible