Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted (1)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

The chapter book, Ella Enchanted, is a version of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella, but with a twist. Ella had a spell put on her when she was a baby that made her only be able to say yes to people when instructed to do something. The big problem occurs when she falls in love with a prince and is worried she will be asked to kill him, so Ella has to deal with this issue and find a way to break the spell. Levine does a great job at pulling elements from the original fairy tale, but giving them a twist. For example, in the original Cinderella, she is obedient because she feels there is no other choice. In "Ella Enchanted", Ella is obedient like Cinderella, but it is only because she does not have any choice or power over it. I also enjoyed how the novel was written in the first person, it helped me visualize and feel who Ella was as a person. This was a very endearing, enchanting, and humorous book that I would recommend to many. I believe that the overall message of this novel is that it is important to follow your heart when put into times of hardship. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | May 4, 2015 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. First, I liked how the story related to the world today. For example, people are materialistic like they are in the story and always want to please people. This is evident in the story when Hattie wants Ella's mother's necklace. This is also evident when Ella receives the spell casted upon her to obey all orders. Second, I liked the story because of the characters. I liked Ella's character because she does what she's told because of the curse. However, if the curse wasn't casted on her we don't know if Ella would do everything she is ordered to do. The main idea of the story is to put others before yourself and do the right thing. ( )
  NicoleGinex | May 4, 2015 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. One reason was because of how the plot seemed logical, even though it was fantasy. For example, in the story Ella's mom dies and her father gets remarried, so she has two step sisters. She falls in love with a boy who wants to marry her are all logical events. The fantasy part is the curse Ella has, and the orges, fairies, elves, and gnomes she meets along the way. I also like this story because even though the setting is imaginative, the author makes it seem real. For example, the author makes the setting in a castle, at a school, and in a kingdom, but like I said before, the characters Ella comes in contact with are imaginative. The message is to always do the right thing even if its not what you want. The right choice might have the best outcome for everyone involved. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | May 1, 2015 |
Ella isn't your typical girl; she has been gifted or rather cursed by a fairy to always be obedient. Whenever someone gives her a command, she must follow it, even if it is something she would desperately rather not do. This is an engaging book that hooked me from page one. I loved how the author took the tale of Cinderella and altered it while still remaining true to the original. In addition, I loved the injection of humour into the story. This book would be ideally suited for intermediate level children (aged 10-14) but will realistically appeal to anyone who loves fairy tales. Ella Enchanted is a Newbery Medal winner. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Feb 19, 2015 |
I loved this version of the classic Cinderella story! Tho' very different from the movie based on this book (a charming creation in its own right), children, families and adults who love children's stories and fairy tales will be delighted in this book's story! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |

Gail Carson Levineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,180,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible