Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Heart's Blood

by Juliet Marillier

7754817,993 (4)61
    Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (willowsmom)
    willowsmom: An adaptation of Beauty and the Beast by an author with a similar voice.
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Kerian)
    Kerian: Another beautifully written fantasy that Heart's Blood made me think of.
    The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope (Herenya)
    Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (Herenya)

I was completely bowled over by Marillier's Sevenwaters Series. This book is in the same vein; a stong, smart young woman in ancient Ireland sets out to take control oh her own destiny. I was not quite as enchanted with this story, a loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast, as I was by Marilliers other books. This one is certainly worth reading if you can't get enough of her heroines. I recommend this book for fans of Robin McKinley. ( )
  SarahLML | Mar 15, 2019 |
Great re-telling. Writing was well done and though it was pretty easy to have figured out, I still enjoyed it. ( )
  NerdyHousewifey | Feb 1, 2019 |
18-year old Caitrin has recently lost her father and distant relatives have come to take over the house and to “take care” of Caitrin in her time of grief. Well, Cillian is abusive and Caitrin’s sister has left to marry a travelling musician, and Caitrin can’t take it anymore. She leaves and finds herself in Whistling Tor. The village seems fine, though they aren’t used to outsiders visiting, but she soon heads up the mountain (despite warnings of the odd goings-on there) to see if she can land herself a job as a scribe, which her father was, and which she, herself, trained as. Once there, she is a bit taken aback by the head of the house (and cheiftan of the area, though most don’t see him as a leader). As she gets to know the people there, she soon learns that things are odder, still.

I may have known this (I likely did!) when I added it to my tbr, but it’s been long enough that I didn’t remember (until looking at tags assigned and perusing a few other reviews after I finished reading it) that this was a retelling of “Beauty and the Beast”. I didn’t catch it while reading, though I see traces of it, knowing after the fact.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I quite liked the characters. I did – sort of – figure out the twist earlier on. Well, it flitted through my head as a possibility, then disappeared again. But, that didn’t take away from my enjoyment of it, at all. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 28, 2018 |
Running from an abusive family member, Caitrin finds refuge at Whistling Tor. Nothing is quite what it seems, however, and Caitrin has to trust her instincts to know who is a friend and who is an enemy. It has a flavor of Beauty and the Beast to it which was fun. While not all the dialogue is perfect and there are sometimes just too many words, it was a very enjoyable and page turning story. One of my favorite things was the sense that even though some of the characters were in difficult situations not of their own making, they still had a choice regarding their actions. They could choose to resist evil, even if they could not free themselves. Some sensitive topics are dealt with (mild sexual content, rape, abuse, torture and murder) but in a manageable way so that I think this book would be appropriate for older teens. ( )
  nittnut | Sep 1, 2018 |
I had to read this book in small increments, just because I wanted it to last a long time. Marillier works her magic again. This book includes a breath-taking detail of Irish country life and scenery, a small touch of fantasy, and a heart-wrenching, beautiful romance. Caitrin's metamorphosis from an anxiety-ridden child into a can-do woman is a great tonic to anyone suffering from the helpless woman/fearless feminist dichotomy so present in lit today.
The romance is subtle, slow, and delicious. It's filled with small touches and smiles that make for a beautiful story. The scene in which Caitrin and Anluan meet for the first time was so good I had to go back and read it again! Enjoy this book slowly, and savor every minute of it! ( )
  RachelNR | Jul 29, 2018 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delon, MelanieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Godfrey-Nicholls, GayeCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van der Kuil, WillieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Saskia and Irie with love
At a place where two tracks met, the carter brought his horse to a sudden halt.

Whistling Tor is a place of secrets, a mysterious wooded hill housing the crumbling fortress belonging to Anluan - a chieftain whose name is spoken throughout the region in tones of revulsion and bitterness. A curse lies over Anluan's family and his people, adn the woods hold a perilous force whose every whisper threatens doom.
Then the young scribe Caitrin appears in Anluan's garden, admiring the rare plant known as heart's blood Retained to sort through entangled family documents, Caitrin brings about unexpected change in the household, casting a hopeful light against the despairing shadows.

But even as Caitrin brings solace to Anluan, and the promise of something more between them, he remains in thrall to the darkness surrounding Whistling Tor. To free Anluan's burdened soul, Caitrin must unravel the web of sorcery woven by his ancestors before it claims his life - and their love.

Anluan has been crippled since childhood, part of a curse that has besieged his family and his home of Whistling Tor. But when the young scribe Caitrin is retained to sort through family documents, she brings about unexpected changes in the household, casting a hopeful light against the despairing shadows. But to truly free Anluan's burdened soul, Caitrin must unravel the web of sorcery woven by his ancestors before it claims his life-and their love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,525,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible