Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by…

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968)

by Philip K. Dick

Series: Blade Runner (1)

11,371280244 (3.97)2 / 443

English (262)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (278)
My second time reading Do Androids Dream, and I love it just as much as I did the first time. This particular reading came after a session of watching all five versions of Blade Runner from the 2007 DVD box set release. I realized that it had been quite a while since I'd read the novel, and that I'd forgotten certain elements, figured it was finally time for another visit with one of my favorite authors.

Firstly, if you're a fan of the movie thinking of reading the book, please note that there is a huge difference between the two. The book is much more cerebral and reserved in its delivery. The whole market of artificial animals, just a blip of a plot point in the movie, is a major element to the book. Also, important features from the novel left entirely out of the movie include Mercerism (the major religion practiced in the book) and the mood organ (people have reached a point where they can't handle their natural moods, so they stimulate them artificially to get through the day).

The book addresses the issue of humans and androids being with or without empathy in a much more in-depth way, with Deckard quitting multiple times in the story because he doesn't feel like he can go on "killing" androids anymore, even if he does really need the money.

The nature of reality is called into question within the book as well. Deckard is accused of being an android himself and taken to a police station he has never heard of, faced with other bounty hunters he should know, but doesn't. Even when he attempts to call his wife he faces a stranger on the Vidphone, making him question his very sanity, as well as his identity. If Ridley Scott really wanted to leave the viewer of the film with a question about Deckard's humanity, I feel this moment was vital for inclusion.

Philip K. Dick was a visionary. He wrote science fiction stories with everyman main characters experiencing every day problems with home, work, and life. The average problem for a Philip K. Dick character might involve keeping his wife from dialing a depression on the mood organ or feeling sorry for himself when he looks at his electric sheep, but it is easy to correlate these issues with those faced by anyone and everyone. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Nov 20, 2014 |
Initially this book reminded me of Bradbury’s ‘Fahrenheit 451’, written some twenty years earlier, with the disharmony between Deckard and Iran just as there was marital conflict between Montag and Mildred. Perhaps this also comes from reading past novels set in a future that has been superseded.

In fact, I found the opening rather depressing, not because everyone in Philip Dick’s society was obviously taking drugs to alter their mental state so that they felt happy despite a disintegrating earth, but because it reminded me that today it seems that the majority of people don’t worry about a disintegrating earth and that’s without taking drugs – and they continue to elect politicians who allow vested interests to continue their greedy ways so that climate change continues unabated.

Still, back to the book, one I first read many years ago when I had seen the film it inspired, very different in many ways that it was. Here in the book we have a much more human Deckard, one who actually does use part of the Voigt-Kampff test on himself but although there are more characters and significant plot differences, the idea of what it is to be human is also central to this book. Here, though, there’s an added and perhaps slightly confusing element: Mercerism, a quasi-religion which involves a person holding the handles of a Mercer empathy box which leads to fusing with Mercer, an old man continually struggling up a hill and stones being thrown and him and the person holding the handles until Mercer reaches the top of the hill, is consumed somehow or another and then regenerates again at the bottom of the hill and starts up again. Fusion comes from feeling part of a whole group of people involved in this. This is all odd enough – religious beliefs can certainly affect people’s perceptions of reality but in this case the stones actually leave bruises on people holding the handles of these fusion boxes and even sometimes kill them – all over the top to me and a shame as although empathy is the main concept of the book, it works best in the main plot through Deckard’s feelings about ‘retiring’ replicants.

So, while I felt this book was rich with ideas, I didn’t find them as cohesive as the ones in the subsequent film. Having Mercer exposed as a fake but then appearing to Deckard to warn him about where the replicants were in the apartment block was obviously deliberately contradictory but I can’t see what Dick gained by this. I also felt that he made the replicants entirely unlikable and this over-simplified the reader’s reaction to them. ( )
  evening | Nov 17, 2014 |
In spite of having been recommended my "classic 20th Century Sci-Fi" reading list has never included any work by Philip K. Dick. I've enjoyed a number of movie adaptations based on his work, so I felt like it was high time to give him a try. Not knowing the best place to start, I chose the iconic novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

While I was reading the book, my 14-year-old son noted the title and said "That sounds either very silly or very boring or both." I was about halfway through the book when he made the comment so I was able to let him know that even the "silly" concepts were presented in realistic and serious ways and that while it might not be a suspenseful edge-of-your-seat page turner there were some intriguing action sequences that involved death and destruction. My son left the conversation more educated but still not entirely convinced that this book would draw him in.

Now that I've finished reading, I'm also not sure it would draw him in. While the book has a sort of futuristic detective Noir element, it's not exactly the snarky and explosive detective novel of a Dashell Hammett and it's definitely not the sort of sensory explosion that is working so hard to pull in the short attention span of 21st century kids. At the same time, I think he, or any reader, can really get drawn in if they were to approach this book not looking at it as an suspense-adventure mystery thrill ride but as a thoughtful psychological exploration of humanity, technology and morality.

This book is approaching its 50 year anniversary and, as is often the case with futuristic sci-fi, it's starting to show its age in a few aspects. At the same time the story and the technology is presented in such a way that makes the world real and believable. Some of the futuristic high-tech ideas are great. They don't yet feel quite as prophetic as some that I've read from Bradbury, for example, but the concepts and technology still have shadows and nuances that exist in our modern world.

Even more than the technology, I found the psychological exploration of humanity and morality to be very intriguing. The book takes place on post-apocalyptic Earth. Most of humanity has emigrated to Mars or other space colonies. Those who continue to live on Earth generally either do so because they can't afford to leave, are just too stubborn to leave or are prohibited to leave because of physical or mental limitations that society doesn't wish to "infect" the new off-planet environments. The story follows a bounty hunter, Rick Deckard, who works for the L.A. police department to "retire" illegal Androids in the area. Androids are used in the various off-planet colonies as laborers and companions for the humans but some androids become a little too willfully self-aware and they break away from their assignments and flee to someplace new where they try to "pass" as human and create a new life for themselves.

Deckard's investigation and manhunt have that Noir feel of a detective unraveling a mystery and working to bring the criminals to justice. His story has suspense, action, romance, danger, intrigue and all sorts of other elements you'd expect to find in an early 1900s detective novel. There are some fun twists and turns along the way including surprise elements that turn things on their head. The action-adventure-mystery is engaging and fun even if not necessarily fast paced in the vein of a 21st century summer action movie.

What caused me the most pause were the thoughtful interactions between Deckard and the other characters or (when Deckard was "off stage") between the characters in general. This book provides a lot of opportunity for personal and societal introspection. There are are a few different commentaries going on during the book, some more overt than others.

The title alludes to an element of "future life" on post-apocalyptic Earth. Most animal life was destroyed in the same war that destroyed much of humanity. As humanity works to rebuild itself, they place a new value on life. Live animals become an amazingly valuable commodity and a symbol of social status. With the advent of better, more realistic robotic technology there is a huge business in "electric" animals that are virtually indistinguishable from live animals. Those who cannot afford to purchase a live animal often settle for purchasing an electric animal. These robotic animals are built to require much the same effort of care and nurturing as live animals. Rick Deckard owns an electric sheep. He and his wife love and care for the sheep. Their neighbors have no inkling that the sheep is electric but Deckard knows his sheep is not "real" and he feels like a second class person because of it. Throughout the book, even in the middle of his adventurous manhunt, he contemplates how to purchase a live animal. He keeps a magazine handy where he can quickly review the price and availability of any live animal. He frequently reviews the magazine...when he sees an animal, hears someone talk about an animal or sometimes just because the thought of animals happened to cross his mind. He is obsessed with getting a "real" animal so he can be more of a person. This materialistic obsession and the sense of self-worth that comes from the wealth and ownership is a problem that society deals with from generation to generation.

I found this particular element interesting because it touches not only on the aspect of materialism but it also explores nuances of that concept. For example, even when Deckard's neighbors had no idea that his sheep was electric, he felt embarrassed and of less-worth. No one was judging him. The materialism was so deeply rooted that he was judging himself. This also expands into the idea of "fake" versus "real" objectification. In this instance both fake and real were virtually indistinguishable. Yet the artificial object brought less joy and in fact caused feelings of worthlessness and despair. I know this may be stretching the author's intent a bit but I see this kind of objectification a lot in modern society not just with material objects but with relationships and human interaction. With the advent of social networking some people have a sense of prestige or popularity in the number of friends, likes, retweets, subscriptions or other interactions they have on sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest and others. However, these artificial "electric" relationships are no substitute for "live" interaction with real people. A person with hundreds of followers and tons of likes may still feel lonely and depressed as they sit by themselves in front of their computer on a Friday night. The artificial is not a substitute for the real in spite of trends and advances in technology.

Other moral and social comment include the idea of class or racial superiority as portrayed by the interactions between human and android. This one isn't quite as overt or heavy handed since the book does present some significant technological differences between the two but it does still open the commentary for discussions about differences between two people who are virtually indistinguishable physically but where one group discriminates or stifles another group. This commentary expands into more grey area with the discrimination of fellow humans based on physical or intellectual deficiencies. Off-planet emigration is explicitly forbidden for those who are not as physically capable (specifically for those who cannot viably reproduce) or who are not up to certain intellectual standards. While modern politics and lawmakers have tried to do away with discrimination at a high level (at least in terms of laws that explicitly discriminate) there is still definitely discrimination that goes on daily to one degree or another.

The other main social or moral commentary in the book is the one that I'm still trying to sort out in my own mind. After the war, mankind adopted a new 'religion' called Mercerism (named after its founder). It doesn't always seemed to be called a religion but that generally seems to be the idea. The practice is a combination of ideals and morals that people try to abide by as well as a physical and mental bonding with the group through a technological object. Basically the people connect (by grabbing two handles) to an "empathy box" which mentally and physically (to some extent) links them to all other humans using the machine. In the experience they are following Mercer as he walks across a desert and up a dusty, rocky hill. Mercer sometimes talks to the people as they walk. As they continue on the journey some invisible force/group/people start throwing rocks at those who are walking. Eventually the journey reaches the top of the hill where Mercer (and the walker) die or topple over the edge or otherwise transition from mortality to immortality. The whole concept was a little unclear to me but it was interesting. The idea is that everyone is pulling together and "empathizing" with Mercer and with their fellow human being. They are working together to achieve something difficult and they are feeling each other's hurts and struggles. Finally, they all feel the satisfaction of victory and then the despair of death and the transformation to immortality. Deckard questions the experience but by the end of the novel he has a sort of existential experience that makes him realize that, regardless of whether Mercer was a prophet or a fake, the idea of human empathy and of striving for something better is a worthwhile concept and that the idea is good for humanity as a whole. Again, I'm not entirely sure what I make of this thread yet but I found it intriguing.

*****

Some of my favorite quotes:

"He thought, too, about his need for a real animal; within him an actual hatred once more manifested itself toward his electric sheep, which he had to tend, had to care about, as if it lived. The tyranny of an object, he thought. It doesn't know I exist."

"I can understand now how you suffer when you're depressed; I always thought you liked it and I thought you could have snapped yourself out at any time...But when you get that depressed you don't care. Apparently, because you've lost a sense of worth. It doesn't matter whether you feel better, because if you have no worth--"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe."

"The silence, all at one, penetrated...In the absence of the [others] he found himself fading out, becoming strangely like the inert television set which he had just unplugged. You have to be with other people, he thought. In order to live at all."

*****

Overall I enjoyed this book on a few different levels. The story was engaging and fun. I didn't fully relate to any one of the characters but I did find the world and the plot intriguing and a fun read. I really enjoyed the thoughtful social and psychological concepts. I have a soft spot for fiction that puts me into a thoughtful mood. I look forward to trying some of Dick's other novels in the future.

****
4 out of 5 stars ( )
1 vote theokester | Oct 25, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Do Androids dream of electric sheep is a Scifi classic, it's also made into a movie called Blade Runner (You have a name like Do Androids dream of electric sheep? and then you choose as a title for you movie: Blade Runner. Why?). In my opinion though, there are quite some differences between the book and the movie, both of which are definitely worth a try.

In a destroyed world where most people have left the earth to live on colonies like Mars, our main character is a bounty hunter who kills escaped Androids. These androids pretend to be humans, so the only way for him to decide whether or not someone is an android is by testing their empathy, as androids are said to be unable to feel empathy. This makes him wonder about his own empathic skills, while also worrying about his new electric goat. He had a live one, very expensive, but it died and as he couldn't afford a new one, he replaced the goat with an electric animal, hoping no one would notice.

It's definitely a memorable book, I especially like the first half of it. It was very original, something I had already expected with such a lovely title as Do androids dream of electric sheep? At first it may seem just a story, but there is more to it. It handles questions about the value of life to name something. A very interesting read. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I have never understood why science fiction writing is seen as a poor relation to general fiction. This book asks searching questions about our attitudes to other races, religion and consumerism - all within 193 pages: oh, and it tells an exciting story at the same time. How can this be a lesser art form?

If you have seen the film, Bladerunner, but never read this book, then I strongly advise you so to do. This is the basis of that film and, whilst the cinematic experience is most enjoyable, and I can quite understand why changes had to be made, the book is a far deeper experience.

Rick Deckard is a bounty hunter whose job it is to 'retire' renegade androids. The term retiring, is not mine, but Dick's. It reflects a human trait: we do not talk of murdering people of different religions, &c., we use these euphemisms, to justify the unjustifiable. The androids great sin appears to be wanting to lead their own life and Deckard is tasked with retiring six of the latest Nexus-6 model. He also hankers for a real animal, something of a status symbol in a post apocalyptic war ravaged period. He is the possessor of an electric sheep, but android animals are not nearly so prized. The bounty from his six kills will enable him to purchase a real goat.

Along the way, Deckard meets Mercer, the electronic based God and his, and our, views upon religion are tested. As this is a book written for sentient humans, we are not given a simple, 'Religion is true' or 'Religion is false', instead, Dick enables us to look at the question from both sides.

If you haven't read this, BUY A COPY TODAY!!!!!!! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Sep 19, 2014 |

Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Struzen, DrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wölfl, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelazny, RogerIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And still I dream he treads the lawn,
walking ghostly in the dew,
pierced by my glad singing through.
~ Yeats
To Tim and Serena Powers, my dearest friends
To Maren Augusta Bergrud
August 10, 1923 - June 14, 1967
A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard.

"The most consistently brilliant science fiction writer in the world."
--John Brunner

THE INSPIRATION FOR BLADERUNNER. . .

Emigrées to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in.

"[Dick] sees all the sparkling and terrifying possibilities. . . that other authors shy away from."
--Paul Williams, Rolling Stone

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:48 -0400)

THE INSPIRATION FOR BLADERUNNER. . . Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was published in 1968. Grim and foreboding, even today it is a masterpiece ahead of its time. By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep. . . They even built humans. Emigrees to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in. Rick Deckard was an officially sanctioned bounty hunter whose job was to find rogue androids, and to retire them. But cornered, androids tended to fight back, with deadly results.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,926,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible