A young centurion ventures among the hostile tribes beyond the Roman Wall to recover the eagle standard of the Ninth, a legion which mysteriously disappeared under his father's command.

English (56)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (58)
good
  hcs_admin | Aug 20, 2022 |
I picked up the Eagle of the Ninth when I was in Year 12 at High School. Its then cover featured depictions from the film version and I shrugged my shoulders and asked myself, "why not?"

Imagine my surprise when I flipped over the book and read it was first written in 1954. My mind went "vintage" and I assumed it to be 50's trash. Nonetheless, curious circumstances compelled me to read it and I was enthralled from the very first page. An imperfect Roman military officer Marcus Falvius Aquila, his love interest and a freed ex-slave Esca are the protagonists. Aquila and Esca set off on a quest while the former is recovering from an injury (good men of the olden days) to discover what happened to Marcus's father and his beloved Ninth Legion decades prior. They rediscover a history in which the Northern tribes of Britain besieged a demoralized Ninth and compelled it to make a valorous last stand.

Far from being choke full of antique militarism, this book retains quite a distinctive modern flavor and it's narrative is fast paced. An excellent read which I savor to this day. ( )
  Amarj33t_5ingh | Jul 8, 2022 |
The eagle of the Ninth tells the story of a young Roman officer who goes on to discover the mysterious disappearance of the ninth legion. This book was very hard to put down as it was such a beautiful written story. This would be a great way to teach students about history. ( )
  mcervantes4 | Apr 14, 2022 |

García Lorenzana, FranciscoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hodges, C.WalterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikolaycak, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the Fosseway westward to Isca Dumnoniorum the road was simply a British trackway, broadened and roughly metalled, strengthened by corduroys of logs in the softest places, but otherwise unchanged from its old estate, as it wound among the hills, thrusting further and further into the wilderness.
[Foreword] Sometime about the year 117 A.D., the Ninth Legion, which was stationed at Eburacum where York now stands, marched north to deal with a rising among the Caledonian tribes, and was never heard of again.
"But these things that Rome had to give, are they not good things?" Marcus demanded. "Justice, and order, and good roads; worth having, surely?"
"These be all good things," Esca agreed. "But the price is too high."
"The price? Freedom?" . . .
"And when the time comes that we begin to understand your world, too often we lose the understanding of our own."
A great and never-ceasing smother of noise: voices, marching feet, turning wheels, the ring of hammer on armourer's anvil, the clear calling of trumpets over all. This was the great Wall of Hadrian, shutting out the menace of the North.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,307,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible