Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (2010)

by Simon Garfield

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    A Place For Everything: The Curious History of Alphabetical Order by Judith Flanders (nessreader)
    nessreader: Two entertaining books about letters for the general public, garfield on fonts and flanders on alphabetical order.
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)
    While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information and a good overview; Unger, a designer of type, gives food for thought.
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Learn to appreciate an underappreciated facet of print and language
    Quirky Qwerty: A Biography of the Typewriter and Its Many Characters by Torbjorn Lundmark (glade1)
    glade1: A book about the individual characters on a keyboard and their histories. Fun and interesting for those who love letters.
    Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, and Other Typographical Marks by Keith Houston (kmg387)

English (105)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (113)
Quite a decent read — short histories of a wide variety of fonts, some amusing industry backstories and interviews. Enjoyed it, but I’m more interested, generally, in medieval or renaissance and this is pretty firmly seated in the modern world. Good overview. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I believe this is what they're calling "an enjoyable romp" these days. It wasn't a thorough history but certainly had some interesting stories. ( )
  et.carole | Jan 21, 2022 |
I liked this book a lot. It's got some really good information and is a great intro to typography for those with no prior knowledge. I've read some other reviews that recommend digging deeper to get more accurate facts about certain type designers and events, but I found this pretty engaging and informative. ( )
  heytoomey | Jan 20, 2022 |
This is a great book for those who want to better appreciate the typography around them. Simon Garfield offers up a very readable survey of all things font-related. He covers the history of the printing press, key designers, the differences and distinguishing features of classic fonts, and some of the typographic theories that have played out through history. It's a great book follow-up to the documentary Helvetica, which also opens up your eyes to the fonts and typefaces that make up our visual experience in the modern world.

I really appreciated the approachability of this book and the numerous illustrative examples of various typefaces. Now if only computers came with more great fonts in their standard libraries! (Would love to have Univers, Frutiger, Sabon, and Gotham in my font stable.) Also, I had always wondered where Calibri came from, and the last chapter answered that question for me. ( )
  stevepilsner | Jan 3, 2022 |
Fun book if you are of the mind for nerdy stuff.

Quite surprised there is no mention of Donald Knuth and his contributions of TeX and Metafont. ( )
  jamesabg | Oct 30, 2021 |

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to.
- Eric Gill

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Simon Garfield's book Just My Type was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,161,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible