Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (2010)

by Simon Garfield

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    A Place For Everything: The Curious History of Alphabetical Order by Judith Flanders (nessreader)
    nessreader: Two entertaining books about letters for the general public, garfield on fonts and flanders on alphabetical order.
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)
    While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information and a good overview; Unger, a designer of type, gives food for thought.
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Learn to appreciate an underappreciated facet of print and language
    Quirky Qwerty: A Biography of the Typewriter and Its Many Characters by Torbjorn Lundmark (glade1)
    glade1: A book about the individual characters on a keyboard and their histories. Fun and interesting for those who love letters.
    Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, and Other Typographical Marks by Keith Houston (kmg387)

English (99)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (107)
A really interesting book. But the author has a tendency to wander and repeat himself.

It felt more like a collection of columns put side by side than a unified whole. But very good if you just want to dip into it. ( )
  robert_goss | Apr 19, 2021 |
This is by no means a book for the faint-hearted layman. By about 2/3 through I had almost lost the will to live - only sheer obstinacy nudging me anxiously forwards (well also, hands up, when your partner is thoughtful enough to buy you a book for Christmas you don't want to dissuade him from doing so in future). It began for me as a dalliance with a subject with which I was hitherto blissfully ignorant of and mildly curious about and to be fair the opening chapters were gentle and the learning curve not steep. Heck, I even had a laugh or two: Are there really people who make it there business to spot typographical continuity errors in films?!? It was almost fun. The middle of the book was more technical: by this point the reader is expected to be up to speed on the basic design elements as fonts are discussed in greater detail. OK - it was becoming a grind. But the author changes tack for the final few chapters when the font police step in. Already feeling grossly inadequate when out and about for being unable to discern one font from another ("Yes, it looks like Times New Roman but how can I tell if it's not some other, related font?")and finding myself discussing the fonts on road signs on the way home from a romantic evening out I turned to the final couple of chapters to put an end to the misery. Instead, I discovered every misuse of fonts I had ever made laid out and ridiculed. Oh the shame of it! How I cringed through those final pages...

I don't know how this book would read for someone with a design interest. Frankly, I'm not too sure that I really care to know. I'm guilty of having used Comic Sans *cough* once or twice. I never want to hear about fonts again.

By the way, what font am I using here?

nick4998 | Oct 31, 2020 |
I got this because even though I'm not a Graphic Artist, I'm a bit of a font and typography nerd.

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to.
- Eric Gill

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Simon Garfield's book Just My Type was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,830,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible