Prophecy by S. J. Parris

Prophecy (2011)

by S. J. Parris

When several of the queen's maids of honor are found dead, rumors of black magic abound. Elizabeth calls upon her personal astrologer, John Dee, and Giordano Bruno to solve the crimes. While Dee turns to a mysterious medium claiming knowledge of the murders, Bruno fears that something far more sinister is at work.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, grove.b, bobf32, Sara-Sybil
    Heresy by S. J. Parris (joririchardson)
    Giordano Bruno and the Embassy Affair by John Bossy (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: This is the nonfiction account of the incidents on which the novel is based.
    Under the Molehill: An Elizabethan Spy Story by John Bossy (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: The fictional thriller Prophecy is based in part on John Bossy's two books about espionage against the French.

It is the Autumn of 1583 and Catholic plotters in England and France are planning to replace Queen Elizabeth with Mary Queen of Scots, Giordano Bruno is set by Walsingham to infiltrate the plotters at the French embassy.

I thought this book was very well written and researched. The story moves along at a good pace, and the atmosphere that is created is suspenseful and page-turning, in fact I only put it down because I had to go to work.

I think the author has done a very good job in evoking life at the elizabethan court, with all its intrigues,paranoia and deception.

I liked the fact that there were some elements of the story that if they are fact I hadn't read before and now I will have to go and research those parts of the story to find out if they really happened. I like when author assume that their readers will know something about the period in which the story is set and if they don't know something they will read up about it.

My only complaint about this book is that I knew who the murderer was when they made their first appearance, other than that I thought this was a very enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed S J Parris's novel Heresy or anyone who enjoys C.J.Samson's Matthew Shardlake series. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
This historical mystery is the second in the Giordano Bruno series involving the Italian heretic monk excommunicated from the 16th century Catholic faith for his scientific studies that were contrary church dogma. Bruno's deductive services are again requested by Queen Elizabeth's spymaster, Francis Walsingham. The 25th anniversary of the queen's accession to the throne is near and one of the queen's maid of honors has been discovered murdered, which is soon followed by another. Both murders involve victims who have astrological signs inscribed into their skin. Bruno is pressured into finding the killer or killers before an assassination plot agains the queen can be realized. As an Episcopalian and fan of historical mysteries, I enjoy reading this series. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
I quite enjoyed this book, the background is well researched and well woven into an intricate plot, featuring a large cast of nicely drawn characters. BUT, it is around 60 pages too long and thus lacks the pace needed to make it a four star book for me. BUT I will be reading book 3 and, probably, book 4. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Plots are afoot to replace Elizabeth I with Mary, Queen of Scots. She is communicating with supporters in France through the French embassy in London, where Giordano Bruno is staying as a protege of the French King, and secretly as a spy for Sir Francis Walsingham. One of Elizabeth's ladies in waiting is found murdered. Is there a connection with the plots swirling round the French Embassy or with Dr. Dee, Elizabeth's astrologer, or was it just a tryst gone horribly wrong?

This was an exciting read but with enough time spent on giving sympathetic portraits of the characters, especially the much put upon French Ambassador and Dr Dee. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Feb 8, 2014 |
Prophecy is the second in the Giordano Bruno series by S.J. Parris and follows on from Heresy while also being a stand alone read.

Bruno is still acting as a spy for Sir Francis Walsingham with a view to protect Queen Elizabeth I from plots to dethrone her. In Prophecy, the threat comes from within the Queen's own court with several murders taking place and small astrological markings being carved into their chest.

Bruno is in London staying with a group of Catholics and is undercover trying to unearth potential plots to put Mary Stuart on the throne. His challenge: to investigate these deaths without betraying his true alliance.

I loved the portrayal of Dr. John Dee, philosopher and astrologer to Queen Elizabeth I - and his infamously well stocked library for the period; what self respecting book-lover wouldn't?

This was an interesting time in history; one where the line between the two religions and the Queen's own interest in astrology was very fine.

Basically this is an historical fiction whodunnit for the Renaissance period, and is a light and entertaining read. I didn't enjoy it as much as Heresy (4 stars), and will probably leave the series here. For those wanting to continue, there are two further novels to discover:

- Sacrilege Book 3 in Giordano Bruno series
- Treachery Book 4 due for release 18 June 2013 ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Apr 11, 2013 |
Without warning, all the candles in the room's corners flicker and feint, as if a sudden gust has entered, but the air remains still. (Prologue)
The wedding feast of Sir Philip Sidney and Frances Walsingham threatens to spill over into the next day; dusk has fallen, lamps have been lit, and above the din from the musicians in the gallery and the laughter of guests, the young woman with whom I have been dancing tells me excitedly that she was once at a marriage party that lasted four days altogether.  (Main Text)

Takes place Sept. 3, 1583 to Nov. 17, 1583 (25th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth I's Accession Day). It is the year of the Great Conjunction, the year the powerful planets of Saturn and Jupiter align to herald the end of one age and the dawn of another. When one of the queen's ladies is found dead amidst rumors of black magic, Elizabeth calls upon Giordano Bruno to solve the crime, along with her personal astrology, Dr. John Dee.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

S. J. Parris's book Prophecy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,854,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible