State of Wonder

by Ann Patchett

5,6453701,502 (3.87)3 / 526
A researcher at a pharmaceutical company, Marina Singh journeys into the heart of the Amazonian delta to check on a field team that has been silent for two years--a dangerous assignment that forces Marina to confront the ghosts of her past.
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (VenusofUrbino)
    Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: I heard the comparison/recommendation here: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/07/25/midmorning2/
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (DetailMuse)
    Euphoria by Lily King (sturlington)
    The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (zhejw)
    The White Mary by Kira Salak (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: An adventurous novel of a woman searching for a disappeared writer in the jungle of Papua New Guinea.
    Intuition by Allegra Goodman (raidergirl3)
    raidergirl3: scientific research; Orange Prize nominee
    The Testament by John Grisham (clif_hiker)
    The Mapmaker's Wife: A True Tale of Love, Murder, and Survival in the Amazon by Robert Whitaker (Ciruelo)

English (363)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (367)
bookclub 2014??
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
I've heard some people were disappointed in the ending of the book. I am indifferent towards the ending. It is a well rounded story that was enjoyable. The characters were neither likable or horrible. I really can't think of more to say than what a beautiful cover and I wished I could have loved it. ( )
  christyco125 | Jul 4, 2022 |
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.
Wow. I was a bit blown away when I finished reading this book. Right at first, I had a bit of trouble getting into this book because it was like the author had a case of attention deficit disorder, she would start telling you things then veer off telling you something else without finishing the first story. This kept up for about halfway through and I was about to put the book down, then the writing changed and became more compelling, and I wanted to find out what happened. Weird split personality type of writing, I can’t explain it. The main character, Marina, is a scientist working in a lab, she’s a bit of an odd duck, middle aged, single, and is involved romantically with the boss, she really does not know what to do with her life, herself, she lacks vision and focus. A colleague of hers was sent to the Amazon jungle to check up on research the pharmaceutical company is doing with regards to a new miracle drug, and he disappears and is presumed dead. They never send his body back, so Marina is sent down there to find out what happened to him and bring the body home so his family can have closure. The story gets pretty wild from there with the natives, the jungle bugs and snakes, the unusual research being done, and it turns into a page turner. Marina finally has purpose in her life and realizes she has something to contribute after all. I did not know what to expect from this book, I had just heard about it and one day found it at the thrift store, so I snagged it. I ultimately ended up liking it, Yes it was kind of patronizing to the natives, and totally unbelievable that one could settle into the primitive living arrangements presented in the jungle and just go along with the snakes, the bugs, only having one change of clothes and not be sick as a dog and die yourself from all of it but it was still a compelling story with the jungle setting serving as an interesting character itself. A good one if you are seeking armchair adventure. I don’t know if I ever want to be anywhere near the bug infested jungles after reading this one and other books I have read about venturing in the jungle such as The Lost City of Z, and The Lost City of the Monkey God. They can have it, maybe the creep out factor is a draw for me here. (4 stars) ( )
  kaida46 | May 27, 2022 |
I loved Ann Patchett after reading Truth & Beauty, a memoir about her friendship with Lucy Grealy. I loved her writing--and I loved her "self" in the book. So I was eager to read this novel by Patchett. Sometimes I became very caught up in the physical details and dangers.If someone else had written it I might not have expected so much. but I did and the book doesn't quite deliver. I was also disturbed by how the situation of the boy Easter was set up and the culmination of that part of the story. ( )
  LuanneCastle | Mar 5, 2022 |
In her latest novel, Ann Patchett, author of the beloved Bel Canto, takes her readers down the Amazon and deep into the rain forest in a book that is part adventure story, part morality tale...This book may be on a lot of book club lists already — but with good reason...
added by Jcambridge | editNPR, Lynn Neary (Jan 1, 2012)

State of Wonder is heavy with literary parallels (to Henry James, to Greek myth), but in this respect the strongest links are to Heart of Darkness, a novel that Patchett substantially rewrites, with Conrad's male text repopulated with female characters (Swenson is this book's Kurtz). It lacks the developed emotional core of Patchett's earlier books, but it is her most mature work to date, a novel that tries to be more alive to the nerve ends of philosophical life than to the simpler machinery of character motivation.

“State of Wonder” is an engaging, consummately told tale. Patchett’s deadpan narrative style showcases a dry humor that enables her to wed, with fine effect, the world of “Avatar” or the “Odyssey” with that of corporate board meetings, R&D reports and peer review...

“State of Wonder” is an immensely touching novel, although as with much of Patchett’s work, its emotional impact is somewhat muted by her indefatigable niceness.

Nail-biting action scenes include a young boy’s near-mortal crushing by a 15-foot anaconda, whose head Marina lops off with a machete; they’re balanced by contemplative moments that give this gripping novel spiritual and metaphysical depth, right down to the final startling plot twist.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Patchett, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daddio, Jennifer AnnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duval, NateCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sporrong, DorotheeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my friend Jo VanDevender
The news of Anders' Eckman's death came by way of Aerogram, a piece of bright blue airmail paper that served as both the stationery and, when folded over and sealed along the edges, the envelope.

endless river

after killing
anaconda

(ReneeGKC)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,554,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible