Remainder by Tom McCarthy

Remainder (2006)

by Tom McCarthy

Recently added byscu83, roxolan, e13, mthanded, reenum, CKBradford, Phoebe_Dumpster, private library, insomnivc
    The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker (machinemachine)
    machinemachine: Obsession with the intimate experience of the present moment binds both these books together
    Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle (revbean)
    revbean: Though quite different in a number of ways, Darnielle's Wolf in White Van and McCarthy's Remainder are both stories of men scarred by traumatic events who embrace world-creation as a means of coming to terms with their situations and (re)discovering themselves.… (more)
    Familiar by J. Robert Lennon (sduff222)
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)
    Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (ACGalaga)

English (38)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (41)
McCarthy's first novel blew my mind. The narration is understated but hypnotic, slowly drawing you into its portrait of an obssessive, traumatized mind. I loved the way that the stakes of the "re-enactments" slowly ratcheted up until the explosive, disturbing conclusion. Great novel, and also an interesting philosophical inquiry into our attempts to control the world around us.

Update: I'm tempted to give this 5 stars after a re-reading. It really is almost perfectly executed. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Overall, it has beautiful descriptions, but at times I totally felt as awkward, confused and crazy as the narrator... and I'm not entirely sure if that's a compliment or not!

I was definitely looking forward to a different sort of story as the premise of the book is very interesting. But I was also looking for a true ending, where we actually find out what this mysterious accident really was and why he's so obsessed with re-enactments, etc., etc., and McCarthy definitely doesn't give us that. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
3.5 out of 5. It's just a little too constructed for me. I don't always mind that (obvious construction) but there's an artificiality here that, while I admire it immensely, keeps me at arm's length. Every time a rough edge or a weirdness appeared, McCarthy made pains to smooth it back out - just as the narrator does with the apartment block and the ensuing reenactments. Conceptually, this is interesting - but in practice, a book requires more than just superb craftsmanship. Even the biggest brain requires some heart to balance it out (ed. note - and vice versa, although that's a completely different argument). Otherwise, you're just appreciative of the technical beauty but left cold about the project as a whole. Like I was here.

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2015/06/15/remainder/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
Strange yet plodding and difficult to get through... but I think deliberately so. I knew it would be experimental, I didn't expect it to be so dreary. An unpleasant shock to my literary sensibility, but I'm not sorry I read it. ( )
  amydross | Sep 3, 2015 |
[A] novel of astonishing genius in which an unnamed protagonist, who has suffered an unnameable accident, seeks to uncover real feeling again.

As recompense for his coma-inducing brain injury, the narrator receives a substantial payout from an unnamed party and decides to spend it re-creating—in full-scale—spaces and moments in time.

Tom McCarthyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Асланян, АннаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"For my parents"
About the accident itself I can say very little. Almost nothing.

A man is severely injured in a mysterious accident, receives an outrageous sum in legal compensation, and has no idea what to do with it.

Then, one night, an ordinary sight sets off a series of bizarre visions he can’t quite place.

How he goes about bringing his visions to life–and what happens afterward–makes for one of the most riveting, complex, and unusual novels in recent memory.

Remainder is about the secret world each of us harbors within, and what might happen if we were granted the power to make it real.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

After being severely injured in a mysterious accident, a man uses the large sum of money he received as compensation to bring to life a series of bizarre visions that have haunted him since the accident.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,425,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible