The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper

by Kate Morton

2,4521923,777 (4.08)141
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (184)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (192)
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton connect the past and present as the narrative moves between the chaotic days of WW II with contemporary Britain. Laurel witnessed a violent act in her teens but only now, as her mother celebrates her 90th birthday, does Laurel pursue the circumstances around the violence and her mother's past.

I enjoyed reading the book: interesting characters with complicated but familiar relationships between the family members. We see things primarily through the eyes of the oldest daughter, Laurel, who has kept her mother's secret all her life. But there are other secrets, too, some spoken and others only hinted at. As with many of Morton's book, this one hinges on coincidences to create twists in the narrative. I was a little put off by those coincidences as they seemed to pile up in the second half of the book. ( )
  witchyrichy | Feb 3, 2019 |
My first Kate Morton book, and I know it won't be the last,a s I have another waiting for me! The Secret Keeper is a well written book, with characters that are (mostly) believable, and the flitting through the timeframes is done very well.

I definitely did not see the twist coming, and went through several different scenarios in my head before the big reveal occurred. Morton took her time getting into the action (so to speak) but it worked well as it gave the reader a chance to get to know Laurel and her family, as well as some of the background information needed to understand the motivations of the characters during the war years. The writing was not over-flowery, and there was a strong understanding of the Blitz and the effects on those living in London at the time.

If you are willing to invest some brainpower into this book, then you will not be disappointed. If you want a quick and easy read, then this is perhaps not the book for you. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
An intriguing novel. I thought I had everything figured out but as it turned out, I completely missed it all!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I loved how the chapters alternated between past and present. It was well written and a treat to read. ( )
  Carole888 | Jan 19, 2019 |
This is the story of Laurel. When Laurel was 16 years old, she witnessed a crime in her driveway. That crime, which Laurel helps cover up, changes the course of their family. Now, 50 years later, as her mother lays dying, Laurel wants to get to the bottom of what happened that day in her driveway. And why. She starts to hunt for answers knowing her time is short. The truth of her mother's past starts to come together, and Laurel can finally put the past to rest.

This was a really good book. It jumps back and forth between the present with Laurel as an adult, and her mother - Dorothy - as a young woman. While Laurel searches for the truth about her mother, the readers are given a look at Dorothy's youth and young adulthood and how that crime came to be.

Definitely worth your time. It is long, but you will be so engrossed in the story that the book will fly by ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Mijn review kan je vinden op mijn blog:

Het is een spannende familieroman waarin de familiegeschiedenis ontrafelt word, en met een totaal onverwacht einde. ( )
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible