The Secret Keeper

by Kate Morton

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (204)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (212)
The author created a very realistic atmosphere of London at that time. The characters are written well too, even too detailed to my mind. The mystery which Laurel sought so desperately turned out to be really interesting and unexpected for me. But the events were unraveling so slowly that I sometimes lost my interest in that mystery.

So here is my conclusion: the story itself is interesting and well written, but too long for its plot. ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |
Three and a half. I liked but didn't love this book. Not sure why, but it usually has to do with a lack of sympathy for the characters. It was also too long, but I tend to think all books are too long. Interesting plot twist at the end. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
Great mystery! I thought I had I figured out, then that wasn't it and there were more twists and turns. I was right about enough of the ending to make me feel good about myself and surprised enough to have fun with it! A couldn't put it down book. No gratuitous violence or sexual scenes, refreshing. ( )
  PamS76 | Feb 17, 2021 |
I had a hard time getting into this book, but by the end it had me in its grasp and I couldn't stop reading. Another great work by Kate Morton. ( )
  CASDonnelly218 | Feb 1, 2021 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,250,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible