Close Range by Annie Proulx

Close Range (1999)

by Annie Proulx

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (chrisharpe)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (1Owlette)
    1Owlette: Although very different in many ways, [The Reader] and [Brokeback Mountain] are both similarly devastating and concentrated in their impact.
    Runaway by Alice Munro (gust)
    Cowboys are My Weakness by Pam Houston (MyriadBooks)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (chrisharpe)

2.5 stars ( )
  Kirstielee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I got half way through before deciding I have little interest in what occurs in Wyoming. I liked Broke Back and Shipping News (Newfoundland) , but in this collection you are given a short time to care about and become invested in the characters, and I failed to make the deadline. Not only did I fail to become invested, but I felt sort of morose about them like when reading Cormac McCarthy. In short Wyoming makes me feel sad and detached.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
Her style is not my taste. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
'Dangerous and indifferent ground: against its fixed mass the tragedies of people count for nothing', 14 Aug. 2013
By
sally tarbox

This review is from: Close Range: Wyoming Stories: v. 1 (Wyoming Stories 1) (Paperback)
Eleven stories set in the harsh cowboy world of Wyoming: failing ranches, their owners going down with them, hard drinking, sleeping around. The loneliness - a young girl befriends a tractor in her solitude on her parents' ranch. The glamour and the pain of a rodeo star. A couple of folk tales about livestock. And behind it all the bleakness and cold:

'Ten days before June a blizzard caromed over the plains, drifting house-high on lee slopes, dragging a train of arctic air that froze the wet snow, encased new calves in icy shells'
Not a book to read in one go - I interspersed it with something totally different - but a brilliant read that brings the world of the cowboy to life. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
added by Shortride | editNew York, Walter Kirn (May 17, 1999)

"Reality's never been of much use out here."
-Retired Wyoming Rancher
These stories are for my children

Muffy
Jon
Gillis
Morgan
In the long unfurling of his life, from tightwound kid hustler in a wool suit riding the train out of Cheyenne to geriatric limper in this spooled-out year, Mero had kicked down thoughts of the place where he began, a so-called ranch on a strange ground at the south hinge of the Big Horns.

Contents: Half-Skinned Steer
Lonely Coast
Governors of Wyoming
55 Miles to the Gas Pump
Brokeback Mountain.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684852225, Paperback)

Pulitzer Prize-winner E. Annie Proulx forays through the underside of America's beloved Wild West in Close Range, a collection of stories about hardship and more hardship in Wyoming territory. Understanding that the West's infinite spaces tended to inspire neither introspection nor contemplation, but a violent and insatiable restlessness, Proulx's eight stories are dark reflections on the lives of a handful of characters striving to define themselves against the unforgiving landscapes. The three professional actors chosen to read the text give strong, resounding interpretations of the macabre tales. (Running time: 6 hours, 4 cassettes) --Natasha Senjanovich

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

A collection of stories set in Wyoming. They range from The Mud Below, on an itinerant rodeo cowboy, to People in Hell Just Want a Drink of Water, which is on a family feud.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible