dismiss

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher…

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity (1992)

by Julia Cameron

Other authors: Mark Bryan

Presents a twelve-week program intended to increase creativity by capturing the creative energy of the universe.
    A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Readers wanting to practice Cameron's recommendation for Artist Dates will find dozens of ideas in the exercises and sources within Pink's book.
    Stoking the Creative Fires: 9 Ways to Rekindle Passion and Imagination by Phil Cousineau (greggchadwick)
    greggchadwick: Phil Cousineau's "Stoking the Creative Fires" is a needed kick in the pants in the realm of books on the creative process. Phil's work with Joseph Campbell and Huston Smith links "Stoking the Creative Fires" to myth and history.

English (60)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (63)
I think I'll try and take the concrete action suggestions and skip the spirituality. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
God truly does work in mysterious ways. How could I have know that the prayers called out (on the weekly prayer-line) in the name of Jesus, would be right in line with my reading of this book? The boogeymen of my past were called out, urging me to remember the hurtful words and rejection letters that caused me to put my writing on the back-burner. I am fortunate to have broken away from the crazy-makers in my life by going into seclusion a few years ago. As a do-good-er, my self imposed hiatus was met with loads of opposition – but I knew that I would die one day and with the kids all grown, it was time for me to go for my own gold.

Most artists have encountered criticism (constructive or otherwise) that results in squelching their sense of wonder and creativity. This book holds the key to recovering all that has been lost by harsh words, put-downs and having proverbial mud thrown in the face of our work. The book also contains exercise of healing that bring fruition to the dreams of doing the things that put our gifts and creative abilities to good use for the Glory of God.

On the flip-side, I was charged to recall all the supporter, encourages, up-lifters and genuine admirers of my workmanship. So many beautiful people whom I thank God for, as they understood and assisted my artistic growth.

Thanks to the wisdom imparted by the author, I have returned to my love of writing with much vigor and expectation of connecting with an appreciative audience.

Your Gift Will Make Room for You – Proverbs 18:16
Julia Cameron has given the world a precious gift…SMILE!!! ( )
  Madamxtra | Feb 15, 2019 |
I was resistant to this book from the beginning. The introduction, forward, etc. contained far too much spiritual guidance. If there is a God, I somehow doubt he is sitting up there and saying to himself "I want you, Fox, to continue writing about zombies." Just a broad thought there, but oh well. The spiritual new agey feel of it got me to refer to it forever as "The Woo Woo Book". Still: I gave it three stars, and was tempted to give it more.

The book, for the most part, is quite good. While the practices were something I initially resisted, I did find that the more I did them the more 'creative' I felt. It did spur some surprising revelations in me, it did get me to start questioning some of my habits and become more proactive. It did, and this is the kicker, make me think. I couldn't really ask more of the book, as all of this and more was what it promised it would do.

So, three stars for this. The final two were not granted it due precisely to the annoying and heavyhanded new age spirituality, which really wasn't -that- overwhelming in it. The practical aspects of the book itself deserve five stars. I would recommend this to anyone working through a creative block, but with strict instructions to mock the annoying bits, or at least snicker at them. This book is good at making you face up to your own bad habits. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Sometime, I ought actually to do this.
  deckla | Jun 13, 2018 |
Julia Cameron has written The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. This is a twelve week program designed to allow the artist, writer, poet, musician or other creative person to recover from a variety of blocks. Exercises and activities are included to stimulate artistic ability. It is found on the library shelves under the number 153.3/CAM.
  salem.colorado | Mar 1, 2018 |

Cameron, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bryan, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hobbs, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karmasalo, ElizaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pakkala, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This sourcebook is dedicated to Mark Bryan.  Mark urged me to write it, helped shape it, and co-taught it.  Without him it would not exist.
When people ask me what I do, I usually answer, "I'm a writer-director and I teach these creativity workshops."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,554,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible