The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity (1992)

by Julia Cameron

Other authors: Mark Bryan

Presents a twelve-week program intended to increase creativity by capturing the creative energy of the universe.
    A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Readers wanting to practice Cameron's recommendation for Artist Dates will find dozens of ideas in the exercises and sources within Pink's book.
    Stoking the Creative Fires: 9 Ways to Rekindle Passion and Imagination by Phil Cousineau (greggchadwick)
    greggchadwick: Phil Cousineau's "Stoking the Creative Fires" is a needed kick in the pants in the realm of books on the creative process. Phil's work with Joseph Campbell and Huston Smith links "Stoking the Creative Fires" to myth and history.

English (63)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (67)
I tried. I really did. But this was just not my cup of tea. I made it through about 5 weeks, then I finished reading the book to see what was coming. I realized I was not going to do the whole program.

This is very much a recovery book, complete with its 12 weeks. Each chapter/week is titled "Recovering a Sense of [something]." God and spirituality play a prominent role in this program. And this is all well and good for people who feel the need to recover their creativity. But there is a large sense of victimhood permeating it. She mentions tossing "a low self-worth shirt into the giveaway pile." What does this even mean?

And with victimhood comes the idea that other people have been keeping us down all our lives and now it's finally time to be assertive and not let all of those people tell us who we are. In other words, it's time to be selfish, and start acting like a spoiled artist so we can become one.

We are urged to repeat the mantra, "Treating myself like a precious object will make me strong." (What happens when nobody else treats you that way?) She feels sorrow for a man who wants a darkroom for himself, but instead his family buys a needed couch, and for another man who wants to vacation alone but knows it will hurt his wife's feelings. Because, this is all about treating the artist within as child, and "re-parenting" yourself. Who cares if that child becomes a spoiled brat?

There are a couple of good things I took away from it, the two things most people seem to take away from it: morning pages and the artist's date. But they don't need to have the spiritual recovery patina on them in order to work. Just use them to explore.

Overall this just wasn't for me. I'm more of a "Do the Work" kind of person, someone who believes "the muse" shows up because it knows where to find you: sitting at your desk or in your studio or wherever it is you sit your butt and work every day. ( )
  evenlake | Mar 23, 2021 |
Some good ideas for facilitating creativity mixed in with a bunch of selfish pseudo-spiritual new age nonsense ( )
  exhypothesi | Mar 7, 2021 |
Loved it. Helped me tremendously to get back on track with creative endeavors. ( )
  MMKY | Jul 3, 2020 |
I think I'll try and take the concrete action suggestions and skip the spirituality. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
God truly does work in mysterious ways. How could I have know that the prayers called out (on the weekly prayer-line) in the name of Jesus, would be right in line with my reading of this book? The boogeymen of my past were called out, urging me to remember the hurtful words and rejection letters that caused me to put my writing on the back-burner. I am fortunate to have broken away from the crazy-makers in my life by going into seclusion a few years ago. As a do-good-er, my self imposed hiatus was met with loads of opposition – but I knew that I would die one day and with the kids all grown, it was time for me to go for my own gold.

Most artists have encountered criticism (constructive or otherwise) that results in squelching their sense of wonder and creativity. This book holds the key to recovering all that has been lost by harsh words, put-downs and having proverbial mud thrown in the face of our work. The book also contains exercise of healing that bring fruition to the dreams of doing the things that put our gifts and creative abilities to good use for the Glory of God.

On the flip-side, I was charged to recall all the supporter, encourages, up-lifters and genuine admirers of my workmanship. So many beautiful people whom I thank God for, as they understood and assisted my artistic growth.

Thanks to the wisdom imparted by the author, I have returned to my love of writing with much vigor and expectation of connecting with an appreciative audience.

Your Gift Will Make Room for You – Proverbs 18:16
Julia Cameron has given the world a precious gift…SMILE!!! ( )
  Madamxtra | Feb 15, 2019 |

Cameron, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bryan, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hobbs, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karmasalo, ElizaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pakkala, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This sourcebook is dedicated to Mark Bryan.  Mark urged me to write it, helped shape it, and co-taught it.  Without him it would not exist.
When people ask me what I do, I usually answer, "I'm a writer-director and I teach these creativity workshops."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,710,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible