Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope

Doctor Thorne (1858)

by Anthony Trollope

Other authors: Peter Reddick (Illustrator), Julian Symons (Introduction)

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (3)

1,276386,177 (4.07)6 / 268
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Trollope has an Austenesque eye for his characters' motivations and inconsistencies, and his Mary Thorne and Austen's Elizabeth Bennett have much in common. Both are persecuted on the basis of low birth and lack of wealth by an older female relative of their love interest. Both novels are thoroughly enjoyable!… (more)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Trollope's Mary Thorne and Gaskell's Molly Gibson have much in common: both their father-figures are country doctors with connections to the local nobility, both fall in love with a man above them in station and wealth, both face undeserved public shame in their social circles, and both are sensible, intelligent heroines.… (more)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both tell of the struggle of adopting a child and letting go later on.

This was the first one I had a little trouble getting into, but once I hit a certain point, I was completely taken in. This volume was a bit like a Jane Austen story but with some political intrigue included, which I quite enjoyed. Thoroughly excellent. ( )
  JBD1 | Aug 31, 2015 |
This is the third book in The Chronicles of Barsetshire. Church politics takes a back seat in this book, and the story of Doctor Thorne and his niece Mary is at the center. Trollope's take on the expected behavior of the classes and social mores of the time are so well done. He also takes on the effects of over indulging in alcohol. His books are full of wonderful characters, and his great wit shows through the entire story here. Doctor Thorne's niece was born out of wedlock and under unfortunate circumstances. He vows to raise her, and in so doing puts her in close proximity with a family of rank. She grows up practically as part of this family, that is, until the squire's son, Frank, falls in love with her. Forbidden love, and besides, Frank must marry money to save the family from ruin. Will they or won't they? You know from the beginning that everything will turn out ok. Trollope delightfully spills the beans as the story progresses. I love the names that he uses. Dr. Fillgrave (he's not a match for Doctor Thorne), Mr Readypalm, who stays just this side of the line between legal and illegal while campaigning for local elections. There are so many more that just made me smile. This is my favorite of the series so far. ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Another delightful book in the Barsetshire Chronicles series. I love the gentle sarcasm of the stories and the wonderful names Trollope gives his characters: Dr. Fillgrave, publican Readypalm, Miss Gushing who became Mrs. Rantaway, and the attorneys Bideawhile and Slow. They remind me somewhat of books by Jane Austen (which I also adore). Pure enjoyment. ( )
  RebaRelishesReading | Feb 28, 2015 |
The story of illegitimate Mary Thorne, who is brought up by her uncle (Dr Thorne), and who falls in love with the son of the local squire, Frank Gresham. Frank falls in love with her back, but his parents want him to marry money, since they have mismanaged the estate so badly. I found this novel rather tiresome: there were endless discussions of what "good blood" the Gresham line was and whether it was appropriate for them to marry people "in trade", let alone an illegitimate woman. There was far less humour than I expect from a Trollope novel and about two-thirds of the way through I just wanted Frank to shut up about his plight, go out and get a proper job and marry Mary already. Everything seemed to drag and the same dilemmas were rehearsed over and over again.

Frank's father and sisters are, we are told endlessly, very fond of Mary, but they treat her disgracefully. Mary (and indeed Frank and Dr Thorne too) are a bit lacking in the personality department, although, on the other hand, Lady Arabella and Miss Dunstable were great characters. The story of Augusta, Mr Gazebee and Lady Amelia was a nice touch. I know it was intended to be history repeating itself, but the deaths of Sir Roger and then his son were dealt with at greater length than seemed necessary.

Overall, I was confused about what Trollope was saying about marriage and money and birth. The doctor is described as very proud of his birth and yet he brings Mary up in ignorance of her true circumstances, allows her to run around with the squire's children and to think of herself as a lady. What did he intend for her? If she had not so conveniently become an heiress, should she have married Frank? Should Frank have been told of her parentage before he proposed for the first time? Was he right to say it made no difference (or did he really mean that it was too late? ( )
  pgchuis | Nov 30, 2014 |
(29) This is really the first one of Trollope's novels that I definitively enjoyed. In my opinion, the best of the Barchester novels thus far. But my goodness, they take me forever to read. Seems an innocent not quite 500pg novel; but the font is tiny. These novels take me weeks to get through.

We are outside of the cathedral city now with an entirely new cast of characters. Barely a passing mention of the Grantlys, the deanery, the Warden, etc.. I found Dr. Thorne, Mary Thorne and all the Greshams much more interesting. Maybe because it was a bit more Austenesque than the other novels that seemed to be about church politics (yawn.)

Typical Trollope with his asides to the reader and his mentions of himself as an author of a story. A bit repetitive and drawn out but I am getting used to his style. Nobody dies with one bout of illness here or professes their love awkwardly a single time - these scenes are repeated with a bit of variation again and again. But I loved the ending here and was so proud of Frank and Dr. Thorne (corny, I know.) In real life motives are rarely so pure.

All in all, I feel as if I am finally into this series and perhaps will look forward to the next one. I am curious to see how all our characters would interact when thrown together. 'Upon my word, I just can not imagine . .. ' ( )
  jhowell | Oct 15, 2014 |

Trollope, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reddick, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulianIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rendell, RuthIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Before the reader is introduced to the modest country medical practitioner who is to be the chief personage of the following tale, it will be well that he should be made acquainted with some particulars as to the locality in which, and the neighbours among whom, our doctor followed his profession.

Son of a bankrupt landowner, Frank Gresham is intent on marrying his beloved Mary Thorne, despite her illegitimacy and apparent poverty. Frank's ambitious mother and haughty aunt are set against the match, however, and push him to save the family's mortgaged estate by making a good marriage to a wealthy heiress. Only Mary's loving uncle, Dr Thorne, knows the secret of her birth and the fortune she is to inherit that will make her socially acceptable in the eyes of Frank's family - but the high-principled doctor believes she should be accepted on her own terms. A telling examination of the relationship between society, money and morality, "Dr Thorne" (1858) is enduringly popular for Trollope's affectionate depiction of rural English life and his deceptively simple portrayal of human nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

Thorne's brother seduced the sister of a Greshambury stonemason and was killed by him. Thorne adopts the child of this liaison, but keeps secret the circumstances of her birth. Later, she meets and falls in love with the heir to the Greshambury estate.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,950,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible