Knots (1970)

by R. D. Laing

720631,974 (3.81)7
A series of dialogue-scenarios, which can be read as poems or plays, describing the ""knots"" and impasses in various kinds of human relationships.

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
This was a highly original work. From my perspective, it seemed to be insights on the basis of human nature. Now, what I picked up on was that each statement tells a story of human nature, compassion, understanding, breakdown, and truth. In each nugget of wisdom, Laing imparted on me what it means to be human-- to be male and female and both and none and either/or. This book is more complex and nuanced than it may appear and it is important to read through the lines, to think about each preposition, sentence, and statement. They are not superfluous, rather they touch on the entity that is the human experience, as Jack and Jill serve as metaphors in a relationship that details the rise and fall of conscious and subconscious desires that Laing brings to life through his work.

4.25 stars- definitely a good read. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jun 16, 2019 |
Another find thanks to my wonderful parents. What I love most about these never-ending prose, is how right they truly are. ( )
  Madaroo | Oct 15, 2010 |
Purchased long ago, primarily because of the Gentle Giant song of the same name. Certainly some intriguing logical paths to follow as you try to untangle Laing's knots. ( )
  Griff | Feb 9, 2008 |
This is so true.
This is awesome. So much suffering, and without having to be in the hospital because you're afraid that you're Hitler.
I like him.
I like him, because he suffers the paradox of wanting to be good and happy, even though that's bad and wrong.
Before this time, they hadn't even started, to trip through the maze.
The more you try, the more that everything sucks.
Your racing thoughts are your Hell.
But you are not your mind.

But this is so true, because the doors get knotted up everywhere you go, but it's so *funny* since it's real, and real has to be good, even though....
.... Each thing that you can do, makes everything else worse.

(10/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Jul 21, 2013 |
ongoing
  vicarofdibley | Apr 8, 2006 |

R. D. Laingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rijkens, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They are playing a game.  They are playing at not playing a game.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,060,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible