Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography by Jean H.…

Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography

by Jean H. Baker

A biography of Mary Todd Lincoln, discussing her childhood as an orphan in Kentucky, her marriage to Abraham Lincoln, their children and family life, the criticism she endured as first lady, and the rumors of mental instability that plagued her later years.

Bought my copy after a very well done tour of the Mary Todd Lincoln house in Lexington on the recommendation by one of the guides. An interesting story, an interesting and insightful book. ( )
  rsairs | Aug 9, 2018 |
I took a very long time to get to this excellent biography of one of the most fascinating First Ladies in history. Mary Todd Lincoln was very intelligent, well educated, extremely interested in politics, and incredibly adept at playing the political game for her husband. She was also her own worst enemy, though she never realized that. She was badly mistreated by her own family, experienced many great tragedies, and was virtually friendless near the end of her life. She loved her husband deeply, but often mistreated the poor man, usually in public. Jean Baker is very respectful of her and does an excellent job of explaining why she things other historians have misunderstood her, but she is not blind to her faults and hides none of her mistakes from the reader. This was an excellend look into the life and times of a very complex woman. ( )
1 vote whymaggiemay | May 8, 2014 |
Well, I certainly understand her better now, but I can't say that I like her any more. Granted, she lost a mother, 3 sons and a husband so deserved to be depressed. But her faults preceded her misfortunes. One wished that Lincoln had been blessed with a less self-involved partner, someone who could have been more of a support to him rather than the trial she often was. ( )
1 vote gbelik | Dec 4, 2013 |
An interesting look at one of American history's most controversial first ladies. Mary Lincoln's life was a tragic story. She lost her mother at a young age, she had an extremely strained relationship with her stepmother, she lost three of her four sons, and she endured the assassination of one of America's most beloved presidents. This book gives us a good view of Mary's life, one where she was consumed by the tragedies that seemed to haunt her. ( )
1 vote briandrewz | Dec 19, 2012 |
I bought this book because of all tjhe strange things I heard about her but she wasn't really all that weird. ( )
1 vote mzzkitee | Sep 23, 2007 |
In the fall Lexington's weather turned wet and dreary, matching the unpleasant economic news.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,118,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible