Mort(e) by Robert Repino

Mort(e) (2015)

by Robert Repino

Series: War With No Name (book 1)

A colleague thought I might enjoy this book, because of the cat 'hero', I think, and I certainly love the cover - but the story did nothing for me. For a start, I don't think cats would want to become like humans - walking on two legs and having hands instead of paws, and resorting to guns from the minute they gain opposable thumbs. They're just smarter than that, and already hold people in disdain. Don't get me wrong - 'owners' of animals who lock dogs in cages and train them to fight each other or declaw cats (what the hell is that practice about?) deserve to face the kind of poetic justice imagined here, but I think cats would handle the situation with more style and dignity.

Anyway. For some unspecified reason, ants develop a way of mutating household pets and other animals into fighting machines, who then turn on humans and 'purge' them (which, together with the 'Archon' character reminded me of a Star Trek episode) from the face of the earth. Mort(e) - a cat formerly named Sebastian - takes on the ants to find his best friend, a dog named Sheba. Various heavy-handed messages about love being stronger than religion, or whatever, are thrown in for good measure. Basically, this is Animal Farm written by Stephen King. Great if that's your kind of thing, and very clever, but I kept falling asleep and took a week to finish. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Jun 9, 2017 |
Unconvincing and with no sympathetic characters.

The story is told from the perspective of a cat, but when the writer needs to refer to a painful nuisance, he uses a simile that would only make sense for a human. That was just careless.

This is one that should have ended in the trash. ( )
  2wonderY | Jan 9, 2017 |
I really liked this book, but felt aspects of the ending were a bit weak (suddenly the undefeatable enemy is readily, simply defeated.) Other than that, a happy-to-suspend-my-disbelief read with a few deeper messages buried along the way. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Mix Redwall, Animal Farm, and The Fifth Wave together and you have some sense of what is going on in this action packed science fiction thriller. Giant ants have erupted from the surface of the earth and have started massacring every human in sight, to get the job done more effectively they release a substance that transforms all animals into walking, talking, thinking creatures to help eradicate all the humans. Sebastian was a content house cat but when he woke up with thoughts and plans he shed his old identity and became Mort(e) a former choker (pet) and current military bad-ass renowned for his feats of bravery and fearlessness. All he really wants to do is find Sheba, his neighbor who happened to be a dog, but Mort(e) remains content tracking humans and killing them while looking for his friend on the side. Years pass and the war rages on, the humans are wily creatures all Mort(e) wants to do is curl up with his missing friend but instead he must battle on and be disillusioned with what the Queen ant has in store for everyone. A compelling unique sci-fi that is the beginning of a trilogy. ( )
  ecataldi | Oct 6, 2016 |
Dogs and cats try to re-take a world inundated by ants who have taken over from the humans. Sadly, humans have gone a bit to far on the road to domination. Due to be compared to Orwell's _Animal Farm_, this book reminds us that love conquers all - somehow finding that this focus can release us from the slavery of religion. Can one cat's love for a dog save the world? ( )
  dbsovereign | Jun 26, 2016 |

Robert Repinoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Agro, JanineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chung, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chung, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ng, KapoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and it said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?" Balaam said to the donkey, "Because you have made a fool of me! I wish I had a sword in my hand! I would kill you irhgt now!" But the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey, which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I been in the habit of treating you this way?" And he said, "No." Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road, with his drawn sword in his hand; and he bowed down, falling on his face ...

--Numbers 22:28-31
God is love, they once said, but we reversed that . . .

--Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale
For my family,

and my families

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,654,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible