Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows (2015)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Six of Crows (1), Grishaverse Series (4)

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (ajwseven)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (ajwseven)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Alanna's George was my first exposure to books about thieving, espionage, gangs, assassins, etc., and this book sort of seemed to me like an in-depth look at that side of life (though a little more violent than it would have been in Alanna's universe), plus Alanna's all about magic and dangerous adventures and such.… (more)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (foggidawn)
    Night Angel Trilogy (3-in-1) by Brent Weeks (kylenapoli)

English (141)  Dutch (1)  All languages (142)
I love it just as much as I did the first time through. Actually, I love it more! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
I'm not sure.. maybe 3.5 stars?

Very - very - difficult to get in to, a bit drawn out, impressive, long, good batch of characters.

My mind is all over the place. Not the easiest book to get through. I had to push myself at times to read on, but that is probably my personal taste. This is a not a type of book I often read. I am curious how it ends though in the next book. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
It's very rare to come across a novel that makes you love every one of the characters and simultaneously slap them silly sometimes. Bravo Leigh. I can't wait to pick up the next one. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
A convict with a thirst for revenge. [Mattias]

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager. [Jesper]

A runaway with a privileged past. [Wylan]

A spy known as the Wraith. [Inej]

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. [Nina]

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. [Kaz]

This book brings together these people with Kaz "Dirtyhands" Brekkker the leader of this band of not so merry followers who are in a gang called the Dregs in lower Ketterdam. Kaz is approached by a mercher or merchant, Van Eck, who tells him that the Council of Merchants wants a man Bo Yul-Bayur and that they want him themselves to kill because they don't believe the Fjerdan who are holding him captive will do it before someone else manages to kidnap him first. Bo knows how to take jurda parem, a substance like caffeine and alter it so that it can make it so that Grisha who have special powers like the ability to heal have their powers super enhanced and can control men's minds. Or those that are Summoners such as Tidemakers who can affect the tidal waters can walk through walls by turning themselves into mists and fabrikators can turn any metal into gold or create something powerful out of metal. The Fjerdans believe those who have that power to be witches and need to be put to death. Though the government does not condone burning at the stake anymore it still happens without any punishment.

Van Eck offers Kaz $30,000 kruge, twenty percent he'd have to give to Per Haskell his boss, but with the right crew, they could each clear $4 million kruge, a life-changing amount for each of them. But for Mattias whom they break out of jail, he offers him a pardon that would allow him to go back home to Fjerda and being a druskelle, a soldier in the Fjerda military. But because of something Nina did Mattias wound up in Hellsgate prison under the charge of being a slaver. She's spent the last year trying to get him out--recanting her testimony--but nothing has worked and now Raz has come to her with this crazy plan that will not only make her rich but will get Mattias out of jail, finally. Nina is a Grisha Heartrender which means she can control the heart and circulatory system. But being a Grisha she did receive basic training in healing and fabrikating of the body.

Mattias at first wants revenge and to kill Nina, but he overcomes this with his desire to want to kill Bo Yul-Bayur. He is spending his time trying to convince Nina to come over to his side and kill Bo as soon as they get the chance to prevent him from creating more monstrosities. Mattias and Nina have loving feelings toward each other that they would like to deny exist but exist they do.

Jesper's job is to look after Wylan who is Van Eck's son who a month or so ago began slumming his way around the Barrell. Kaz made sure nothing happened to him just in case and threw him some work in demolition which he was okay at. Jesper is Kaz's second whom he never tells anything. Jesper is a killer with his guns and was once a farm boy. He gambles too much and this time he really did gamble too much because he put up his father's farm and he needs this haul to pay off the debt and save his dad's farm.

Inej was sold into slavery and worked as a prostitute at the Menagerie, one of the worst places to work at, until she met Kaz one night and he saved her life by getting Per Haskell to buy her indenture off of Madame Hellene. From that point onward she became the Wraith. She worked for Kaz finding out people's secrets. Inej was trained as an acrobat and can climb anywhere and sneak into anywhere. She's what's known in the industry as a spider. Inej has a deeply spiritual belief system and can filet you in five seconds flat.

Kaz can pick any lock and has a bum leg. He carries a cane with a crow's head on it with him that has been fabricated and can break any bone in your body. Kaz seeks revenge for his brother's death and with this money he can get his revenge. He also has feelings toward Inej that he doesn't want to have. He has a reputation as being the toughest guy in the Barrell. He didn't get the nickname Dirtyhands for being a nice guy.

The job involves breaking into a place that has never been successfully broken into The Ice Palace of Fjerda and taking a prisoner out. And they wouldn't be the only ones trying to get Bo Yul-Bayer out of there. This is the first book in a series and I just love the characters. It's hard to choose a favorite because just as soon as you do, another character pipes up and does something spectacular that leaves you feeling rotten for not giving that character it's due. There are no words to describe how fabulous this book is. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series. I give it my highest score possible a five out of five, but know that if I could I would give it a higher score.

Quotes

Oh, its worst than that, Van Eck. If I fail I don’t get paid.

-Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows p57)

“He wants his revenge, Kaz” “That’s what he wants, not what he needs,” said Kaz. “Leverage is all about knowing the difference.”

-Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows p 80)

Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you’ll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won’t matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.

-Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows p 136)

She wouldn’t wish love on anyone. It was the guest you welcomed and then couldn’t get rid of.

-Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows p 163)

Better terrible truths than kind lies.

-Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows p 308) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jan 28, 2019 |
It was okay.
I mean everyone keeps saying that this book was amazing and pretty close to perfect but it was really just OK. ( )
  Elaine_Omwango | Jan 26, 2019 |

Morris, TristanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, BrandonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kayte -- secret weapon, unexpected friend.
Joost had two problems: the moon and his mustache.

An audacious plan
Six dangerous criminals
Only one way out
(passion4reading)

"Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction--if they don't kill each other first"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,089,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible