dismiss

Six of Crows (2017)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Six of Crows (1), Grishaverse Series (4)

"Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction--if they don't kill each other first"--
Recently added byerasegrace123, hidalgoe, danisaur, Narziss, Arina40, jpeterman, RoxenNigols, KatyCash, private library
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (ajwseven)
    The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (ajwseven)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Alanna's George was my first exposure to books about thieving, espionage, gangs, assassins, etc., and this book sort of seemed to me like an in-depth look at that side of life (though a little more violent than it would have been in Alanna's universe), plus Alanna's all about magic and dangerous adventures and such.… (more)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (foggidawn)
    Night Angel Trilogy (3-in-1) by Brent Weeks (kylenapoli)
    Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin (carriehh)

English (182)  Dutch (1)  All languages (183)
When you're reading instead of partying night to may 1... and not guilty at all.

“Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?" ----> king
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej. -------> queen
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper. -----------> fav
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina. -------> other fav
"You're all horrible," said Matthias.” --------> fucking idiot

I had really high hopes for this book, and they were mostly awarded. "Six of Crows" has fantastic characters that you will fall in love with as the plot proceeds and long-wanted display of disabilities and vulnerability. Not that disabilities and vulnerability necessarily has anything to do with each other. It's a good 5/5 and I want the next book so badly.

At first, it reminded me of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, but I think it might just be because of the knife-wielding Inej resemblance to Mistborn's Vin. They're both awesome and deadly, while hurting underneath. However, after some pages and a few flashbacks, the plot started to move away from Mistborn and I could breathe easier. I don't need another sob story, however much I loved it.
I actually think Six of Crows was better than Mistborn in many ways, it had a whole other kind of flow to it.

The characters. I love a good plot, but what I love even more is when the characters is on point and diverse. When they have little quirks and act like people, not just dolls in a play. Even if this book is about cons and everyone has their roles in the gang, they always suprise each other and me as reader. They're lovely and macabre and most of them barely holding onto their sanity. Just the way I like it. I have to admit some lines were too macabre even for me though. I got chills.

I thought the plot twists in this book was too easily detected. I felt more disappointed than victorious. But then the obvious plot twist came, I raised a brow in annoyance and suddenly another plot twist came out of the blue. The one's you should have seen long time coming, but didn't. And that's perfect for this book, because one of the leaders Kaz's motto is literally:

"The easiest way to steal a man’s wallet is to tell him you’re going to steal his watch. You take his attention and direct it where you want it to go.”

Okay, I promise it's not that much wallet stealing in this book. What you got in your pockets? Gone. That diamond choker? Don't think about it. But just a few wallets. Anyway, Kaz's motto is just why this plot works, not to mention the plot twists. Kaz is the master-mind behind the gang and the cons they're playing. He's trusting of no one, so both the gang and reader don't know the whole plan, just small fragments of it. The way this book is written is intriguing. It's full of details for you to draw out, place in a box and lock away until you have cooled down enough to obsess over them.

While reading this book, I laughed aloud a few times, broke the spine of my pocket in tension, gritted my teeth and even closed my eyes to not have to read the most macabre details, like I expected them to just go away if I waited. If that's not a good book, I don't know what is.

PS: I knew you liked boys Jasper, but stop kicking the merchling/puppy. Just make out already. ( )
  aquapages | Jul 8, 2020 |
Loved this book. Bardugo really knows her characters, who are varied and compelling. Her world always surprises, yet is coherent and fascinating. The plot picks up from the very first page -- I tore through this and am eager to read Book 2. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. The character development is very good. These kids are kinda broken and flawed but they are heroic too and are fighting back. Neither fantasy or young adult is my typical reading choice but I was surprised. I'm craving waffles as I type lol. Of course the ending leaves you hanging soo I'll be reading the 2nd book next! ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
I enjoyed this much more than I enjoyed the grisha trilogy but it still didn't wow me completely?? I wanted to love it so much ugh ( )
  seraynea | Jun 29, 2020 |
I loved the audiobook performances, and I loved the book. I can't wait to start the next one (and I might not wait!) ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |

Morris, TristanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, BrandonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kayte -- secret weapon, unexpected friend.
Joost had two problems: the moon and his mustache.

An audacious plan
Six dangerous criminals
Only one way out
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,915,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible