Alanna: The First Adventure (1983)

by Tamora Pierce

Series: Song of the Lioness Quartet (1), Tortall Universe (8 (Song of the Lioness 1))

Eleven-year-old Alanna, who aspires to be a knight even though she is a girl, disguises herself as a boy to become a royal page, a learning many hard lessons along her path to high adventure.
Recently added byArina42, r.c.sajo, BenCasto, mlore95
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another fun fantasy with a strong female character who refuses to conform.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (kochanneo)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (_Zoe_)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (Owlnip)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (ImmortalAussie)
    ImmortalAussie: A very similar thing to Tamora Pierce but different enough at the same time Still just as fantastic
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (TomWaitsTables)
    Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (Owlnip)
    Owlnip: Similar in terms of the kind of world you get to escape into, with a strong young female protagonist and wonderful cast of characters.
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Konran)
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (Owlnip)
    Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (_Zoe_)
    The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two girls deal with society's expectations as they learn swordplay and harsh political realities.
    Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: This book sort of seemed to me like an in-depth look at what George's side of life (thieving, gangs, assassins, espionage, etc.) may have been like (though a little more violent than it would have been in Alanna's universe), plus has magic and dangerous adventures.… (more)
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character disguised as a boy.
    Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen (FFortuna)
    The Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce (Morteana)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Similar adventure-y stuff, and Frostborn has a boy and a girl with equal plot attention.

English (172)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (174)
A quick, light YA novel with a strong female character in the lead. This is very much a Mulan-type story, but it was enjoyable, if predictable. I will definitely recommend it to my 14-year-old daughter. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
Just as amazing bow as it was when I first read this in middle school. This whole series will always hold a special place in my heart, and I cant reccomend these books enough to others ( )
  augusti3 | Jan 16, 2021 |
Just as wonderful as I remember it. ( )
  spacekittycat | Jan 8, 2021 |
419 H.E.
Thom and Alanna of Trebond born. Twin son and daughter of Lord Alan of Trebond.

I've read and enjoyed (3*) the other three books in the series also.
- In the Hand of the Goddess #2,
- Woman Who Rides Like a Man #3,
- Lioness Rampart #4 ( )
  Seayla2020 | Jan 1, 2021 |
Ya book but quite nice for a quick easy read when you dont want to leave bed on a sunday!!! ( )
  saspiesas | Dec 27, 2020 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti, JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To CLAIRE,
who made it all finally happen,
and
To FRANCES,
who told me to talk to Claire
"That is my decision."
"Our gods are much too busy in our lives for us to ignore them." -- Myles of Olau, p.143

A young woman disguises herself as a boy in order to be trained as a knight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,967,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible