Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Children of Time

by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Spanning huge periods of time and following the destinies of two "children" of humanity: the last humans that abandoned Earth after an apocalyptic war and a biotechnology experiment to give another species intelligence. It is almost like two books into one although the occasionally links between the two stories enhance the story in a good way. Many types of characters seen either almost at a glimpse, racing through their own evolution (Kern, Guyen) or almost as a standstill (Holsten, various Portia-s). The action is split between the intelligent spider/and planet, which become well versed in genetics and chemistry and the last human colony ship which lost a lot of the previous knowledge and struggles to survive. Ending is optimistic and a bit unexpected (which is a plus) although in some parts of the book the colony ship had a more horror atmosphere. ( )
  vladmihaisima | Sep 28, 2018 |
I never thought I would care as much about a society of spiders as I do about about the spiders in this book. The humans are fine, I guess, but the spiders, and their society, their culture, and their ways of communicating with each other are absolutely fascinating. Adrian Tchaikovsky has really hit it out of the park with this book, and I will definitely be checking out more of his work.

Look, I don't really know what else to tell you. There are sentient spiders who weave giant web-cities and communicate via percussion. The females are the stronger gender, and often eat males after they mate with them. They learn not to do that thing as they become more cultured. They grow. They evolve. They become better. They are better at collaborating than us. They learn to use their enemies instead of just destroying them. The spiders carry this book, but the rest is still pretty good, and it is all worth it.

Just, go read this book. ASAP. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
This was not what I expected, but in a good way.

I really enjoyed the exploration of the evolution of a species, and the intricate details of each generations' life given.

I also enjoyed seeing the lives of those on a generation ship, and the eventualities of it falling apart, and needing a repair crew, and next generations being born.

The whole story was really well done, and eventually came together in a way I wasn't expecting it to. I really liked how we saw the evolution of how the spiders got to the point they did, and the predictable response of the humans - it was very clever commentary.

Overall, this was a very intelligent book, and a great take on the human race. ( )
  jdifelice | Jul 31, 2018 |
Amazing world building on an uplifted world, as well as on a human ark ship. Gotta love the kudos to David Brin too. Easy to understand why it won the Clarke's award. ( )
  Guide2 | Jul 18, 2018 |
A really good classical science fiction novel. I thought it was a little longer than necessary (600 pages) or it would have gotten a 5 star review. The book goes through two separate stories of the humans on the ark ship and the evolving spiders in the planet. How they come together was a real page turner and ultimately a very satisfying ending. If you enjoy reading science fiction don’t miss this read. ( )
  hazel1123 | May 14, 2018 |
The concept of “uplift” has been around for a while; in this version, humans have destroyed Earth, and are making a last ditch effort to terraform a new home planet. The last stage of the terraforming includes uplifting some apes to serve as slaves for colonists via a nanovirus.

Alas for the humans, things do not go as planned. They accidentally create a planet of sentient spiders.
added by bug_girl | editWIRED.com, Gwen Pearson (Jun 17, 2015)

Adrian Tchaikovskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herden, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hudson, MelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Portia
There were no windows in the Brin 2 facility - rotation meant that 'outside' was always 'down', underfoot, out of mind.

Alas, Earth is Dead.
Space, the final frontier. Hey!
Form new Earth? UH OH. (Bug Girl)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144727329X, Paperback)

WHO WILL INHERIT THIS NEW EARTH? The last remnants of the human race left a dying Earth, desperate to find a new home among the stars. Following in the footsteps of their ancestors, they discover the greatest treasure of the past age - a world terraformed and prepared for human life. But all is not right in this new Eden. In the long years since the planet was abandoned, the work of its architects has borne disastrous fruit. The planet is not waiting for them, pristine and unoccupied. New masters have turned it from a refuge into mankind's worst nightmare. Now two civilizations are on a collision course, both testing the boundaries of what they will do to survive. As the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, who are the true heirs of this new Earth?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:25:28 -0400)

The last remnants of the human race left a dying Earth, desperate to find a new home. Following their ancestors' star maps, they discovered the greatest treasure of a past age--a world terraformed and prepared for human life. But all is not right in this new Eden. The planet is not waiting for them, pristine and unoccupied. New masters have turned it from a refuge into mankind's worst nightmare. Now two civilizations are on a collision course and must fight to survive. As the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, who are the true heirs of this new Earth?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible