Don't Know Much About History (1990)

by Kenneth C. Davis

Series: Don't Know Much About

Davis has brought his groundbreaking work up to the present, including the history of an "Era of Broken Trust," from the end of the Clinton administration through the recent Great Recession. This additional material covers the horrific events of 9/11 and the rise of conspiracy theorists, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Hurricane Katrina and the failure of the New Orleans levees, the global financial meltdown, the election of Barack Obama, and the national controversy of same-sex marriage.… (more)

Who really discovered America? What was "the shot heard 'round the world"? Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: Did he or didn't he?

From the arrival of Columbus through the bizarre election of 2000 and beyond, Davis carries readers on a rollicking ride through more than 500 years of American history. In this updated edition of the classic anti-textbook, he debunks, recounts, and serves up the real story behind the myths and fallacies of American history. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jan 30, 2020 |
Admittedly I do know a lot about history- a good portion of this book was review, but I did learn new things even in the chapters that were review. I learned the most about history post World War II- none of my history classes have ever gotten that far, and it was good to sort things that I sort of knew out. I might reread this eventually to pick up things that I didn't hold onto this time because of how much information there was. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jan 5, 2020 |
I loved this book when I was younger. And I also might have used it as a crash course to get certified to teach history (to brush up on the basics). I love history and this book is a really fun twist on all the stuff we only know so much about. Great for a teen who's really interested in history!
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
I didn't want to persist with this. Every since I read Lemony Snicket's discourse on the subject, I get annoyed by this misuse of "literally". In other way the history was a bit too casual. I tried it in physical book form as well, but it seemed lazy. Really think you're better off with Hakim. ( )
  themulhern | Apr 10, 2017 |

Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To
Jenny and Colin,
with the hope that their history will know only peace.
Who really "discovered" America?
Please do not combine this work with Don't Know Much About American History, a children's book of 224 pages. This work is Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need to Know About American History, But Never Learned, an adult book of 462 pages. The content is quite different.

From Columbus' voyage to the Iran-Contra affair, author Kenneth C Davis carries the reader on a rollicking ride through 600 years of Americana. With wit, candor, and fascinating facts, he explodes long-held myths and misconceptions - reveal the very human side of history that the textbooks neglect.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,272,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible