The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can…

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (2000)

by Malcolm Gladwell

English (264)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (270)
About the author: quoting from the book's back cover, "Malcolm Gladwell is also the author of the #1 bestselling 'Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking.' He was a reporter for the 'Washington Post' from 1987 to 1996, working first as a science writer and then as New York City bureau chief. Since 1996, he has been a staff writer for 'The New Yorker.'" About the book: Christopher Hawthorne, reviewer for 'San Francisco Chronicle, said of this work, "One of the year's most anticipated nonfiction titles. . .'The Tipping Point' is propelled by its author's voracious but always amiable curiosity. . . .Gladwell has a knack for rendering complex theories in clear, elegant prose, and he makes a charismatic tour guide."
  uufnn | Jul 1, 2017 |
I think the largest problem with this book is that it is too long. The basic idea was great and really interesting but Gladwell stretched it out too much. Towards the end I was bored and he was reaching. This would be much better as a 10-page paper, but of course that couldn't become a national bestseller now could it? ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Finally got around to reading Gladwell's first book. Such an interesting read. Everything from Sesame Street to the smoking epidemic to reducing the New York crime rate by removing signs of vandalism to the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere... all in the study of what causes situations to... tip. Great stuff. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book has been referred to so much that I read it so I could say I read it. Malcolm Gladwell is an interesting author and writes well. His explanation on how epidemics start: the law of the few (connectors, mavens, and salesmen), the stickiness factor (content of message), and the context of the message. As expected, Gladwell commends a program of innovation and social change which focuses on smaller groups/movements before it reaches a critical mass. I occasionally questioned whether or not his analysis of past epidemics, but it made for an good read. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
My new boss has a passion for reading and he likes to recommend books. Which makes the knowledge that I only have about six weeks left in his employ bittersweet. He also shares my affinity for very dark chocolate, which just bites all the more. So, Mr New Boss recommended that we all read The Tipping Point and I agreed to, mainly because no boss had ever asked me to read a book before.

Wow! I don't know if I can describe just how much this book knocked my socks off. I listened to the audiobook, read by Gladwell himself. I don't know if the subject is just that intriguing or if part of it was Gladwell's natural enthusiasm for his own material. I was fascinated! About Hushpuppies and Airwalks, graffiti on NY subway cars and Big Bird and teenage smoking. Just spellbound by it all. And busy. Not so much applying it to my job here, as I'm on my way out the door, but maybe the next job. Definitely my home life. My health. My hobbies. I have to get my hands on more Gladwell books! ( )
  VictoriaPL | May 18, 2017 |
This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2001)

I wish Malcolm Gladwell had chosen to use his considerable skills as a journalist to describe more examples of actual tipping points. In reaching instead for theory, he reaches well beyond where he, or anyone else, can safely travel.

What Mr. Gladwell has to say is instructive. If he hasn't got all the answers, he certainly offers a fresh way of looking at the problems.

This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2000)

Gladwell's narrative voice is so chummy and seductive, it's easy to get drawn into his worldview.

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sandin, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents,
Joyce and Graham Gladwell
For Hush Puppies -- the classic American brushed-suede shoes with lightweight crepe sole -- the Tipping Point came somewhere between late 1994 and early 1995.
In this brilliant and groundbreaking book, New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in out society so often happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Ideas, behavior, messages, and products, he argues, often spread like outbreaks of infectious disease. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a few fare-beaters and graffiti artists fuel a subway crime wave, or a satisfied customer fill the empty tables of a new restaurant. These are social epidemics, and the moment when they take off, when they reach their critical mass, is the Tipping Point.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316346624, Paperback)

"The best way to understand the dramatic transformation of unknown books into bestsellers, or the rise of teenage smoking, or the phenomena of word of mouth or any number of the other mysterious changes that mark everyday life," writes Malcolm Gladwell, "is to think of them as epidemics. Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do." Although anyone familiar with the theory of memetics will recognize this concept, Gladwell's The Tipping Point has quite a few interesting twists on the subject.

For example, Paul Revere was able to galvanize the forces of resistance so effectively in part because he was what Gladwell calls a "Connector": he knew just about everybody, particularly the revolutionary leaders in each of the towns that he rode through. But Revere "wasn't just the man with the biggest Rolodex in colonial Boston," he was also a "Maven" who gathered extensive information about the British. He knew what was going on and he knew exactly whom to tell. The phenomenon continues to this day--think of how often you've received information in an e-mail message that had been forwarded at least half a dozen times before reaching you.

Gladwell develops these and other concepts (such as the "stickiness" of ideas or the effect of population size on information dispersal) through simple, clear explanations and entertainingly illustrative anecdotes, such as comparing the pedagogical methods of Sesame Street and Blue's Clues, or explaining why it would be even easier to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with the actor Rod Steiger. Although some readers may find the transitional passages between chapters hold their hands a little too tightly, and Gladwell's closing invocation of the possibilities of social engineering sketchy, even chilling, The Tipping Point is one of the most effective books on science for a general audience in ages. It seems inevitable that "tipping point," like "future shock" or "chaos theory," will soon become one of those ideas that everybody knows--or at least knows by name. --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:45 -0400)

An introduction to the Tipping Point theory explains how minor changes in ideas and products can increase their popularity and how small adjustments in an individual's immediate environment can alter group behavior.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,197,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible