The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (2000)

by Malcolm Gladwell

New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in our society so often happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Ideas, behavior, messages, and products, he argues, often spread like outbreaks of infectious disease. These are social epidemics, and the moment when they take off, when they reach their critical mass, is the Tipping Point.… (more)

English (305)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (312)
Mildly interesting, but not immediately applicable, so not riveting. Logical. Not particularly entertaining, and like I said not applicable to my current affairs, so I wouldn't recommend it to myself. Still, that's just me. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
I haven't read it for a long time. But it helps to know what a left handed smart person thinks like. ( )
  josephty1 | Feb 27, 2022 |
Pretty amazing book. Much better than his other book "Blink".

One of those books which change how you view the world. ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
In this book, Malcolm Gladwell explores the concept of the "tipping point", that moment when an idea, a product or a mode of behaviour becomes suddenly - and sometimes spectacularly - successful. Gladwell identifies three elements which he believes are necessary for this to happen : (i) influential individuals who "spread the word" (what he calls "the law of the few") (ii) an attractiveness intrinsic in the "message" or idea (its "stickiness") (iii) the environment or "context" which can, in subtle and effective ways, lead to a "tipping point". Gladwell then delves into each of these three elements, illustrating them with several examples and anecdotes taken from the fields of social psychology, history, economics and anthropology.

This is not the book I'd generally read. However, it was given to me as a Christmas present (together with another two Gladwell books) and I surprised myself by eagerly lapping it up in a couple of days. Are Gladwell's theories "verifiable"? I honestly don't know, and there might be other writers out there who hold very different views. However, the book's arguments are certainly laid out lucidly and convincingly. And Gladwell does know how to tell a good story, making what could have been a dry, theoretical book really "stick". ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Jan 1, 2022 |
Very interesting book. This was the first book I read by Malcolm Gladwell. I plan to read others. ( )
1 vote MrDickie | Dec 20, 2021 |
I wish Malcolm Gladwell had chosen to use his considerable skills as a journalist to describe more examples of actual tipping points. In reaching instead for theory, he reaches well beyond where he, or anyone else, can safely travel.

What Mr. Gladwell has to say is instructive. If he hasn't got all the answers, he certainly offers a fresh way of looking at the problems.

Gladwell's narrative voice is so chummy and seductive, it's easy to get drawn into his worldview.

But still: $1 million ... Here's a tip: Don't believe the hype.

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference is both interesting and engaging. It is a medicine chest of a book, full of seemingly unrelated concoctions, each available for strategic application to manipulate the equilibrium.

Gladwell, MalcolmAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandin, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents,
Joyce and Graham Gladwell
For Hush Puppies -- the classic American brushed-suede shoes with lightweight crepe sole -- the Tipping Point came somewhere between late 1994 and early 1995.

4 1978

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316346624, 0316316962, 1586217453, 1570427933, 1600240054

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,974,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible